Wiki Posts
Search

Any word on restarting Bahamas flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:26 pm
CG
Original Poster

Any word on restarting Bahamas flights

Southwest canceled all their flights to NAS when the second round of COVID restrictions in the Bahamas came into force in July. They've now announced they're lifting most of those restrictions Nov 1st (with a bunch of testing required) and airlines like AA have resumed flights but WN has not yet. Any word if they plan to and if so when? I'd rather fly with them then AA for a trip the first week of Nov but don't want to wait.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by CG
Southwest canceled all their flights to NAS when the second round of COVID restrictions in the Bahamas came into force in July. They've now announced they're lifting most of those restrictions Nov 1st (with a bunch of testing required) and airlines like AA have resumed flights but WN has not yet. Any word if they plan to and if so when? I'd rather fly with them then AA for a trip the first week of Nov but don't want to wait.
The Travel Health Certificate is still mandatory and test will need to be done within 7 days. No more mandatory 14-day isolation of 11/01. I read that AA is offering tests for passengers from MIA.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:56 am
CG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LegalTender
The Travel Health Certificate is still mandatory and test will need to be done within 7 days. No more mandatory 14-day isolation of 11/01. I read that AA is offering tests for passengers from MIA.
Thank you, I tried to indicate that I was aware of all that and specifically was looking for information on if and when Southwest Airlines would start flights back up to NAS. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 11:04 am

Any updates on this?
Old Jan 9, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
No one here will know anything until its announced. You will do better looking as news reports than looking here.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
WN's Board of Directors has no idea. All depends on the Covid-19 situation here and there. At that point will depend on time of year and whether the market is back.

Even if & when it makes its way back onto the schedule, I would still not do any planning more than 30 days out. Certainly not pay for nonrefundable hotels.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
WN's Board of Directors has no idea. All depends on the Covid-19 situation here and there. At that point will depend on time of year and whether the market is back.

Even if & when it makes its way back onto the schedule, I would still not do any planning more than 30 days out. Certainly not pay for nonrefundable hotels.
Mega resorts Baha Mar and Atlantis Paradise Island re-opened last month. American, JetBlue, Delta, and United resumed routes from Miami, Atlanta, and New York.

"Not doing any planning more than 30 days out" is whimsical advice.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 12:16 pm
CG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1

I have a home there, so am only concerned about the transportation piece. WN restarted flights quickly earlier in the summer when travel was allowed again to the Bahamas for the first time, and as mentioned all the other major airlines resumed flights some time ago. So it's not clear why WN is holding back this time. BTW, the Board of Directors of an airline typically doesn't get involved in route start and stop decisions, so while they probably indeed have no idea one wouldn't expect them to in any event. I was hoping that perhaps someone who either works at WN or knows someone who does would be aware of any internal chatter on the matter, which is generally far more useful than even a direct line to a board member would be with these kind of questions and in fact often shows up here before it shows up in the news. That's why I asked, based on 15 years of experience here getting decent answers to these kinds of questions.

BTW, to a couple of posters, the equivalent of "don't bother asking" is a decidedly unhelpful and pointless response. Perhaps "don't bother answering if you don't have a clue as the the answer and are just telling the OP not to bother asking" would be a helpful heuristic to keep in mind?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:02 am

It's just a matter of fact that until WN announces the resumption of flights, nobody knows.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by CG
BTW, to a couple of posters, the equivalent of "don't bother asking" is a decidedly unhelpful and pointless response. Perhaps "don't bother answering if you don't have a clue as the the answer and are just telling the OP not to bother asking" would be a helpful heuristic to keep in mind?
Sorry. I was attempting to kindly tell you that you were asking a question, more than once, to which there is no answer. Wasn't sure why you were asking. Of course no insider is going to give you intel on this and potentially loose their job.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:58 pm

Not able to answer the OP but I have a theory. There is no data to back this up so take it as it is please...
NAS was only doing well out of FLL. International other than NAS was not doing well out of FLL. They are using Covid as an excuse to keep their brand new FLL terminal closed. (Note they’re flying to MBJ out of MCO and HAV out of TPA where they do not have connected international facilities). Since NAS didn’t do well from BWI they’re just keeping it suspended until they HAVE to start FLL international again, be it to use the fate space they paid for or to prevent another carrier from taking over.

again, just a theory.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:50 pm

Not able to answer the OP but I have a theory. There is no data to back this up so take it as it is please...
NAS was only doing well out of FLL. International other than NAS was not doing well out of FLL. They are using Covid as an excuse to keep their brand new FLL terminal closed. (Note they’re flying to MBJ out of MCO and HAV out of TPA where they do not have connected international facilities). Since NAS didn’t do well from BWI they’re just keeping it suspended until they HAVE to start FLL international again, be it to use the fate space they paid for or to prevent another carrier from taking over.

again, just a theory.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:31 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Strange, NAS doesn't even show up on the Route Search tool anymore: https://www.southwest.com/flight/rou...V-AIR-ROUTEMAP (click on List View).

Oh and the Covid page says this:
Travel to Bahamas is currently unavailable.
  • Service will resume at a later date
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:06 am
CG
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
Sorry. I was attempting to kindly tell you that you were asking a question, more than once, to which there is no answer. Wasn't sure why you were asking. Of course no insider is going to give you intel on this and potentially loose their job.
Pretty sure this was the only thread I asked this question on. If not I'm suffering from some pretty alarming dementia at the age of 48, so help me out if I'm wrong there by pointing out where else I asked Also pretty sure that over the 15 years I've been here on FT I've seen lots of insider info from every airlines about things like routes. FTs don't lose their job over chatting with a passenger saying that they're looking forward to getting to go back to NAS next month. But hey, again maybe it's that dementia thing kicking in again....oh wait, no. Here's an example from just a couple months ago regarding UA's JFK service - https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/c...nce-again.html

It's amazing what one can accomplish when they take off the "it can't be done so why are you even trying" hat.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
If people didn't ask the same questions over and over there wouldn't be much on Flyer Talk. Just sayin'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.