Maximum number of checked bags?

Old Oct 3, 2020, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Maximum number of checked bags?

Is there a maximum number of checked bags allowed? I'm going to be moving cross-country and plan to donate everything and just keep what I can pack into my suitcases. Southwest mentions an excess baggage fee on their site but I can't find any mention of the number of excess bags allowed. Wondering if I can check in 4 -5 bags?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Here is the answer: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...T-BAGGAGE-FEES

Gonna start a pool to see if the OP comes back to check for an answer. LOL!
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the the reply. I'm wondering if there is a cut off on the number of extra bags I can bring and can't find any mention of it on their site. Don't want to show up at the airport with five bags only to find they only allow four per person. I'm encountering long hold times with southwest but will update if I get through and find an answer.
LegalTender and ursine1 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
3rd + Checked Bags $75 per bag

The "+" would imply (to me) that there is no (reasonably low) limit. 100 bags, probably not, then we are talking freight. Surprised its not defined, 50 pounds same day delivery coast to coast is tremendous bargain at $75 compared to common carriers. Some one / entity has probably taken advantage of it...
Old Oct 3, 2020, 6:46 pm

I’ve seen videographers, etc. with many bags...likely no limit within reason. If you have a half-dozen or so, I’m sure you’ll be OK.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Simple answer. There is no published limit. Carriers that have a limit, publish it.

If your bags take the aircraft over its operating limits, they won't be transported.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
$75 a bag. Make sure each bag is packed right up to the 50lb limit

P.S. I humbly acknowledge I lost in the pool. The first time poster did come back and check.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I was able to get through to a rep. In case anyone else has the same question, passengers are allowed to check in up to 10 items.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:50 am

If you are moving US domestic, you may be better off shipping the 3rd+ suitcases via FedEx or UPS ground as long as they are not time-sensitive. Lower cost and easier than trying to lug half a dozen suitcases around an airport.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

and if you have any books or certain other media... they have a much cheaper rate for that at USPS
Old Oct 4, 2020, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
I’ve seen videographers, etc. with many bags...likely no limit within reason. If you have a half-dozen or so, I’m sure you’ll be OK.
Those people have media passes, so they are treated differently than a general member of the public

https://fstoppers.com/business/flyin...dia-rate-60137
Old Oct 4, 2020, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
and if you have any books or certain other media... they have a much cheaper rate for that at USPS
And even better if you buy “discount postage” from a stamp dealer.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
3rd + Checked Bags $75 per bag

The "+" would imply (to me) that there is no (reasonably low) limit. 100 bags, probably not, then we are talking freight. Surprised its not defined, 50 pounds same day delivery coast to coast is tremendous bargain at $75 compared to common carriers. Some one / entity has probably taken advantage of it...
Depending on the route it may be cheaper to fly a few people out with you as you are making money if the fare is below $150.
synergistic and ryw like this.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
$75 a bag. Make sure each bag is packed right up to the 50lb limit

P.S. I humbly acknowledge I lost in the pool. The first time poster did come back and check.
I have came back for the answer on my multi city ticketing thread.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: LTP, PP
If I am reading the fee schedule right, $75 is the max charge for a 100 pound "item" with a max L+W+H dimension of 80" inches. UPS would charge me (with special rates) $122 and take 7 days (at best) NYC to SEA , I'm sure the public rate is much higher, near $150.

"Media Mail" rate is what you have to ask for at the post office or USPS.com for items like printed books, magazines and software. For whatever reason it is sorted through separate special facilities and takes much longer (double+) than normal priority mail, perhaps because they reserve the right to open and inspect the packages.

Shipping has become my life...

LATE EDIT: Only applies to the first 2 bags checked in otherwise $150 per bag

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 15, 2020 at 7:56 am Reason: Clarity

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.