SAVE20NOW coupon for points booking

Old Sep 15, 20, 6:36 am
Original Poster

SAVE20NOW coupon for points booking

Just saw this promo in an email from Southwest:

SAVE20NOW Terms and Conditions:

Book a Southwest® flight on Southwest.com® and swabiz.com using your Rapid Rewards® points from September 15 through September 17, 2020 and receive 20% off when you fly between September 15 – October 31, 2020 ("Promotion Period"). Enter code SAVE20NOW in the promo code box when booking. Offer is valid for domestic and international travel. 20 percent promotion code savings valid for one-way or round trip Wanna Get Away®, Anytime, and Business Select® fares booked with Rapid Rewards points from September 15 through September 17, 2020 and flown during the Promotion Period and is applied before taxes and fees. Savings are reflected in the price when entering the multiuse code SAVE20NOW in the Promo Code box on Southwest.com and swabiz.com. This discount is only available through Southwest.com and swabiz.com.

Discount is valid on new reservations only. Discount will apply only for dates within the Promotion Period. If one direction of the trip is outside the Promotion Period and one is within the Promotion Period, only the portion of travel falling within the Promotion Period will be discounted. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase will eliminate qualifications for this promotion. The discount is only valid with the provided promotion code and is not combinable with other promotion codes or fares. All reward travel is subject to taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges of at least $5.60 per one-way trip. Applicable taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges can vary significantly based on your arrival and departure destination. The payment of any taxes, fees, and other government or airport-imposed charges is the responsibility of the Passenger and must be paid at the time reward travel is booked with a credit card, travel fund, or Southwest gift card.
Old Sep 15, 20, 11:16 am

Just booked a flight with points, and works as advertised. Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:25 pm

Was just coming here to post that. Wow. I can't recall a points only booking sale ever before. I knew that load levels were low, but they must be really, really low.
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:38 pm
Community Director

Is it possible to convert a paid booking to a points booking and use this promo? I booked a flight yesterday for next week. I got the last seat at a particular fare. The current fare is $50 higher. Am I out of luck?
Old Sep 15, 20, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Is it possible to convert a paid booking to a points booking and use this promo? I booked a flight yesterday for next week. I got the last seat at a particular fare. The current fare is $50 higher. Am I out of luck?
There's no way to "convert," your only option would be to cancel and rebook. Upside is less than 24 hours = full refund, downside is risk if you actually did get the last seat in a particular bucket.
SanDiego1K and GueroDeTejas like this.
Old Sep 15, 20, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
There's no way to "convert," your only option would be to cancel and rebook. Upside is less than 24 hours = full refund, downside is risk if you actually did get the last seat in a particular bucket.
You could try to book a second flight on points then immediatly cancel the paid one for a refund.
By the way this is the first promo code I recall. Am I wrong?
Old Sep 15, 20, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
You could try to book a second flight on points then immediatly cancel the paid one for a refund.
By the way this is the first promo code I recall. Am I wrong?
If the original fare opens back up, yes.

Promo code sales are very rare. The last one I remember was in 2016, and that was in apology for the systems meltdown. I don't ever recall a points only sale, with promo code or without.
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:48 pm

Thumbs up Prior Points Booking Can Be Changed

This will work for prior points bookings. I had a points booking (with Companion) to CUN from about 10 days ago that I was able to change and take advantage of this discount. I went in and booked a new reservation with points (on one leg lost my Wanna Get Away, but still came out ahead for total after 20% discount), then called for CSR to cancel my original reservation and change companion to new reservation. Saved 12,000 points.
Old Sep 15, 20, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by GueroDeTejas View Post
This will work for prior points bookings. I had a points booking (with Companion) to CUN from about 10 days ago that I was able to change and take advantage of this discount. I went in and booked a new reservation with points (on one leg lost my Wanna Get Away, but still came out ahead for total after 20% discount), then called for CSR to cancel my original reservation and change companion to new reservation. Saved 12,000 points.
This is a misleading post and should be deleted. Your original reservation wasn’t changed...it was cancelled and replaced by a new one. Cancelling and rebooking is very different from changing an existing reservation.
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
This is a misleading post and should be deleted. Your original reservation wasn’t changed...it was cancelled and replaced by a new one. Cancelling and rebooking is very different from changing an existing reservation.
Sorry about any misleading terminology. All I wanted to pass along was that a prior points booking could still take advantage of the promotion.
Old Sep 15, 20, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld View Post
If the post was so misleading that it should be deleted, was it such a great idea to repeat it by quoting it in your post?

Perhaps just the later part of your post was necessary.
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott PP, WN A+/CP, Hertz PC
This is a nice surprise, thanks! I just booked a trip yesterday for the promo period without yet seeing this. I was able to cancel and rebook at the same amount of points plus the 20% savings.

I didn't see an email about this though. Is there a promo mailing list I can sign up for?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: