Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Woman sues WN, claiming it overserved drunk man who molested her 13 y.o. daughter

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman sues WN, claiming it overserved drunk man who molested her 13 y.o. daughter

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

https://www.heraldmailmedia.com/news...8cb936c33.html
Old Sep 5, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Once you read the news report... it does not look good for the guy.

As to Southwest... hard to say.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO it doesn't look goof for the FA who told him to slow down but continued serving him.

However, I'm confused by the sequence of events, including the seat change(s) the FAs required the alleged perpetrator to make. If he was flirting with the 13 year old and then his seat was changed, how does this fit with the molestation? Was a sexual predator required to change seats so as be next to a 13 year old girl? Also, where was her brother seated before and after the alleged predator moved?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Alcohol is not allowed on other forms of public transportation like bus, train, etc. Maybe it is time that it is not allowed on airplanes either.

I am sure this post will go over the rocks hard.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:16 am
DC9

Programs: QF Platinum, HH Diamond
Although, I’ve had alcohol served on long distance train travel. But what happens elsewhere is probably not really on point, I guess.

Edit: While horrendous for this to occur, and can’t be excused, would it be usual for a parent to allow their young child to sit next to an adult stranger on a flight, where they are not in view of the parent?

Last edited by DC9; Sep 6, 2020 at 1:25 am
Old Sep 6, 2020, 7:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Alcohol is not allowed on other forms of public transportation like bus, train, etc. Maybe it is time that it is not allowed on airplanes either.

I am sure this post will go over the rocks hard.
This is completely wrong. Many trains and some bus services serve alcohol.

But, too the broader point, this is a simple "dram shop" case in which the holder of the liquor license, e.g. WN is liable for the damage caused by serving an individual who evidently should not have been served (and likely should not have been permitted to board).

Needless to say, a Complaint is simply a set of allegations and here we have a news report of a Complaint. But, if the facts are proven as alleged, WN may be on the hook for a great deal of money (unless it settles).

The solution is not to ban the service of alcohol, but for FA's, who are all trained, to abide by federal law and WN policy, and not serve those who appear intoxicated. GA's likewise are trained to deny boarding and FA's to recognize signs of intoxication before departure.
lo2e and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The solution is not to ban the service of alcohol, but for FA's, who are all trained, to abide by federal law and WN policy, and not serve those who appear intoxicated.
They're also trained to avoid sparking confrontation. "One angry person can change our employment status" is a workaday refrain.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
They're also trained to avoid sparking confrontation. "One angry person can change our employment status" is a workaday refrain.
You've actually heard someone from Southwest say that?
rickg523 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While non-confrontation is part of training, I have seen plenty of FA's cut passengers off and do it in such a way as not to cause a confrontation at FL 39.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by GoldenArgosy
You've actually heard someone from Southwest say that?
"Ben, a flight attendant working for a major U.S. airline" is AFA's attribution.

Flight Attendants Say Conflict Is Creating a Big Safety Problem on Planes

No issues, no drama, just easy-breezy flying is Southwest lore.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender
"Ben, a flight attendant working for a major U.S. airline" is AFA's attribution.

Flight Attendants Say Conflict Is Creating a Big Safety Problem on Planes

No issues, no drama, just easy-breezy flying is Southwest lore.
That article is over three years old and written a couple of months after the Dao incident. FA authority has been significantly upheld by carriers since then, including authority to refuse boarding ticketed passengers if they're judged unfit to fly. As mentioned above the news report cited is a recitation of plaintiff's charges, but if Ryan was allowed to board while noticeably intoxicated and subsequently served unlimited alcohol onboard, there will and should be consequences for the ground and flight crew members responsible and WN will have to swallow whatever financial penalities accrue due to their agent's actions and inaction.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
That article is over three years old and written a couple of months after the Dao incident. FA authority has been significantly upheld by carriers since then, including authority to refuse boarding ticketed passengers if they're judged unfit to fly. As mentioned above the news report cited is a recitation of plaintiff's charges, but if Ryan was allowed to board while noticeably intoxicated and subsequently served unlimited alcohol onboard, there will and should be consequences for the ground and flight crew members responsible and WN will have to swallow whatever financial penalities accrue due to their agent's actions and inaction.
"Authority to refuse boarding ticketed passengers if they're judged unfit to fly" has been significantly upgraded? As far as I know, it's "visibly impaired" and remains so. The airport bar that allegedly served him "as many as seven alcoholic beverages" may need representation, as well.

If "Ryan was booked for public intoxication and police were investigating the assault," what's taking so long?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by DC9

Edit: While horrendous for this to occur, and can’t be excused, would it be usual for a parent to allow their young child to sit next to an adult stranger on a flight, where they are not in view of the parent?
Sadly airlines do not consider a 13 year old a child and parents often get separated from teens, and younger. It has happened to me, even with pre booked seats.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 6:28 am

Many years ago I was on a flight where a passenger was so drunk the plane returned to the gate to remove him. The FAs tried to calm him down but were unsuccessful. That guy was not violent but was loud and obnoxious.
Old Sep 7, 2020, 7:00 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I think that if the FA made those comments and continued to serve the jackwagon, WN is going to have to pay something, the FA will be let go and the jackwagon put on the DNF list. I have no issue with the two teenagers sitting seperately from mom and the 5 year old. 13 and 15 are certainly old enough to sit by themselves on a plane, I would be curious as to why the brother didn't say or do anything. Hope the drunk guy likes having to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. Who would have jurisdiction on the criminal case?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.