Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

no more refunds of the $5.60 fee after making a flight change

Old Sep 4, 20, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Heads up... Not sure if this is a glitch but it looks like something happened to cause Southwest website revert back to no longer allowing the refund of the $5.60 fee with booking points if you make a flight change and then later decide to cancel. It appears to be happening of flights that I changed yesterday and today. If I go back into those and try to cancel, it no longer allows for the fee to be refunded.

Thanks

Jason

Last edited by jep8821; Sep 4, 20 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 4, 20, 3:39 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by jep8821 View Post
Heads up... Not sure if this is a glitch but it looks like something happened to cause Southwest website revert back to no longer allowing the refund of the $5.60 fee with booking points if you make a flight change and then later decide to cancel. It appears to be happening of flights that I changed yesterday and today. If I go back into those and try to cancel, it no longer allows for the fee to be refunded.

Thanks

Jason
Any chance that you paid for those flights using Travel Funds. I was trying to work down my Travel Funds and often used them to pay the $5.60 on points bookings.
Old Sep 4, 20, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Any chance that you paid for those flights using Travel Funds. I was trying to work down my Travel Funds and often used them to pay the $5.60 on points bookings.
Nope. I wish that was the case... Something changed from last week to this week on Southwest's side
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 4:32 pm

Weird I just got a companion flight refunded this morning at 715am so hopefully it is just a glitch and not the new normal.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:32 pm

Worked fine for me a few hours ago.
Old Sep 4, 20, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Worked fine for me a few hours ago.
Interesting. I know bookings that I changed last week, I can still cancel for the refund. but any of them that I changed yesterday and today are not. I will try it again and see what happens.
Old Sep 4, 20, 8:58 pm

Always found it strange that JetBlue allows travel funds to be used for the $5.60 fee, but Southwest doesn't. If you pay cash for a ticket, JetBlue only gives back the $5.60 fee as travel funds and not cash. Surprised US airlines are not uniform in dealing with government fees/taxes.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by bgasser View Post
Always found it strange that JetBlue allows travel funds to be used for the $5.60 fee, but Southwest doesn't
Oh yes they do. But not LUV vouchers.
Old Sep 8, 20, 9:35 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Just wanted to let everyone know that I have looked into this, and the fee should remain refundable after a change.

The exception (noted above) is if the fee was paid with a "non-refundable" fop.
Non-refundable fop's remain non-refundable even when applied to a refundable product.

For taxes and fees that would be Gift Cards and RTF (Travel Funds).
For paid fares (not points) that would also include LUV Vouchers.

In a PM, I asked the OP to contact Customer Relations if he paid the fee with a credit card and the funds were showing non-refundable.
Old Sep 8, 20, 10:34 am

UPDATE:

After additional info from the OP, I was able to recreate this after making 2 changes to a reservation before trying to cancel.

It is my understanding that these funds should remain refundable, so I am following up and we are researching now.
lainys, nsx, steved5480 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 20, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver
What is an fop?
Old Sep 8, 20, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by geo979 View Post
What is an fop?
form of payment.
SWAVictor and sdsearch like this.
Old Sep 9, 20, 10:28 am

Good Morning!

First, I want to thank jep8821 for raising this issue and bringing it to my attention - this is exactly why I'm here!

The issue actually went deeper and affected refundable fares (Any Time and Business Select) purchased with a CC. With those fares, after making an itinerary change the tickets became non-refundable. With the points bookings, after an itinerary change, the taxes/fees were becoming non-refundable.

For full disclosure, this was caused by the way the fares were filed.

For the CC bookings, the fares have been refiled with the correction, and new AT and BusSel bookings will remain refundable after changes (as long as the new itinerary is also AT or BusSel). For RR points bookings, the fare filings are being corrected today.

So, the good news is that the cause has been found and is being corrected.
The bad news is that for any tickets booked between 9/1 and 9/9, the fare applied at the time has the issue, and as such there is no way to retro the fix for those tickets. If you are trying to cancel an AT, Bus Sel, or any RR points booking made between those dates and you are not offered the option of a refund, you may choose to hold the funds for future use, or you would need to call in to a request a refund.

Just as a reminder, all of the above are refundable if the initial booking was paid by credit card.
If a non-refundable form of payment was used (Gift Card, Travel Fund, Luv Voucher) those funds remain non-refundable even when applied to a refundable product (including taxes/fees). In those cases funds will become a re-usable Travel Fund.

Sorry for the workaround on those - but again, thanks for bringing it to our attention so that we could find a quick resolution!
nsx, jep8821, B747SP and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 29, 20, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by bgasser View Post
If you pay cash for a ticket, JetBlue only gives back the $5.60 fee as travel funds and not cash. Surprised US airlines are not uniform in dealing with government fees/taxes.
Last month I filed a DOT complaint arising out of JetBlue's refusal to refund the $5.60 tax to original form of payment. I contend that governing regulation requires such refund when a passenger cancels the travel. JetBlue's response is due on October 8.
Old Sep 29, 20, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bedelman View Post
Last month I filed a DOT complaint arising out of JetBlue's refusal to refund the $5.60 tax to original form of payment. I contend that governing regulation requires such refund when a passenger cancels the travel. JetBlue's response is due on October 8.
Only takes a quick call to WN to get the tax refunded to original form of payment.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: