Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Miles on Sale

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Buying Miles on Sale

Southwest has a current promo for buying points at a 45% discount. 10,000 points are $151.25 to buy. Looking at flights a $153 flight is 10,764 points so close in value. You do need to pay the $5.60 and lose the points earning on the purchase but does the flexibility when using points make up for it?
Old Aug 20, 2020, 1:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
It certainly does warrant closer consideration if one lacks points and anticipates travel, especially on behalf of others who might not travel again within a year, for trips that might get cancelled outright. Cheaper version of travel insurance. Not as good for close in changes such as business travel as you'll be paying higher rates/points anyway. Unless A List and SDC can apply.

EDIT: Forgot about the current funds to points conversion opportunity until 12/15/20. Lots of hairsplitting to see which one could come out marginally ahead. Bonus points or 2% on the points purchases to consider too.

Last edited by joshua362; Aug 20, 2020 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 20, 2020, 11:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joshua362
EDIT: Forgot about the current funds to points conversion opportunity until 12/15/20.
78 points per dollar beats a promo rate on traditional points purchase.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by nsx
Especially if AmEx will give you a credit.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Agreed. Tho should be pointed out this only works for the next few weeks or so unless I missed something saying cancellations past 9/7 would get the extended bump as well
ursine1 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Vaselaney24
Agreed. Tho should be pointed out this only works for the next few weeks or so unless I missed something saying cancellations past 9/7 would get the extended bump as well
Travel funds can be converted to points until December 15, 2020, but only travel funds that expire September 7, 2022. So far. I suspect Southwest will extend out that September 7, 2020 deadline (to create extended funds) at some point.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Travel funds can be converted to points until December 15, 2020, but only travel funds that expire September 7, 2022. So far. I suspect Southwest will extend out that September 7, 2020 deadline (to create extended funds) at some point.
Would be good if they would, but until it’s official people have to act within the current parameters, which effectively limits purchasing points under the conversion method to 9/6. Fingers crossed that it is extend tho as I have several flights I’ll likely be unable to take haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.