Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN kicks autistic 3 year-old and family off plane

WN kicks autistic 3 year-old and family off plane

Old Aug 11, 20, 8:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,190
WN kicks autistic 3 year-old and family off plane

Southwest kicks a family off their flight because their 3-year old with autism couldn't maintain a face mask:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...ear-face-mask/
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Aug 11, 20, 9:24 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 49,467
This is 100% on the parents who put their child in a position he should never have had to face. The rules are clear and there are no exceptions. For good reason. To protect the crew and other passengers.

What would the story say had 20 passengers become infected by that child had WN simply ignored its own rules?

Doesn't the thread title deserve something a bit more balanced than the poor reporting.
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:08 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,004
There will likely be more of these incidents. I'm seeing quite a bit of noise from angry "mommy bloggers" threatening to challenge the policy. (Because THEY KNOW THEIR RIGHTS and WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.) Many are also threatening to sue, which I find amusing. COVID-19 forces exploring some uncharted territory, but I suspect Southwest's well-paid legal team signed off on the policy's compliance under ACAA. From my layman's interpretation, carriers have the right to refuse service to anyone they cannot transport safely and/or who presents a danger to other passengers. Southwest's policy is unambiguous, and is clearly communicated prior to travel. Yes, it sucks if you're the parent of a special needs child who cannot wear a mask, but unfortunately it's just not safe for them to travel by plane right now. It's possible that the DOT may yet get involved, based on the number of complaints received. But since the carriers can't even get the administration to declare a mask requirement, I'm not completely convinced they'll wade into this argument. But I suppose it could happen.
ursine1 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:27 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Posts: 8,055
A three year old? Get a grip Southwest.
Kevin AA is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 12:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Window Seat
Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Posts: 2,009
Sorry, the policy says to wear a mask. The policy says masks required. Period. You wear a mask or you don't fly. Period. The "exceptions" were back in June and last month. Now there are no more exceptions. Well I guess you can try Delta and see if their video-doctor will give you an exception. But Southwest makes it clear- no exceptions. Same with Alaska, American, and United.

These parents never should have brought their three year old Autistic child on a flight during a pandemic anyway, that is just putting all parties involved at significant risk. Imagine a screaming kid with no mask on your flight if you were a passenger and the spread of germs from this. This is really bad. Completely irresponsible of the parents to bring a screaming maskless kid on a flight. Inconsiderate of hundreds of other passengers, crew, and others.

These parents and the child should all be put on the "do not fly" list of Southwest.

Who knows, the kid may just have been afraid of flying and the whole situation and would have been terrified mask or not. The parent claims a doctor's note trying to get the kid out of wearing the mask. Sorry, that isn't how it works during this pandemic. Your exception is over. And good job wasting a bunch of people's time causing the plane to have to turn back after it left the gate, too. Should be a fine for this to this woman as well.

I do not want to disregard the challenges and difficulties involved with raising an Autistic child and understand this woman is in a stressful situation. Given the significant challenges in having an Autistic child I cannot fathom what kind of an irresponsible parent would bring an Autistic child onto an airplane during the pandemic to take a flight rather than just driving instead. Unless this child requires such an intense level of care that it would not have been safe for her to drive, with the child in the car. And if that is the case, I am sorry, but this woman and this child had no business traveling at all by any means. There is no telling how damaging and demoralizing this whole episode is to this child. This mother should be very ashamed of herself. Instead she is going to the media with the story. Disgusting.

Last edited by storewanderer; Aug 12, 20 at 1:03 am
storewanderer is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 1:13 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
Posts: 276
So basically all 2-year-olds are effectively banned from flying? (Good luck putting a mask on one and keeping it on the whole flight autistic or not)
kennycrudup and oil like this.
fatlasercat is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 1:25 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RNO
Programs: AA/DL/WN/ex-UA elite
Posts: 8,055
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
Sorry, the policy says to wear a mask. The policy says masks required. Period. You wear a mask or you don't fly. Period. The "exceptions" were back in June and last month. Now there are no more exceptions. Well I guess you can try Delta and see if their video-doctor will give you an exception. But Southwest makes it clear- no exceptions. Same with Alaska, American, and United.

These parents never should have brought their three year old Autistic child on a flight during a pandemic anyway, that is just putting all parties involved at significant risk. Imagine a screaming kid with no mask on your flight if you were a passenger and the spread of germs from this. This is really bad. Completely irresponsible of the parents to bring a screaming maskless kid on a flight. Inconsiderate of hundreds of other passengers, crew, and others.

These parents and the child should all be put on the "do not fly" list of Southwest.

Who knows, the kid may just have been afraid of flying and the whole situation and would have been terrified mask or not.
It would help if you read about it. The child has sensory processing disorder, not fear of flying.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/woman...ight-face-mask

“No 3-year-old, who is autistic and has sensory processing disorder, is going to put anything on their face,” Sadler argued. “He's supposed to wear glasses. I can't even get him to wear his glasses to help him see. He just doesn't understand. He doesn't like things touching his face, so he's not going to put a mask on.”


The child would not have been screaming if the parents had not been forced to put a mask on him. They flew from Houston to Midland without an issue but the crew decided to be prison matrons going the other direction.

The parent claims a doctor's note trying to get the kid out of wearing the mask. Sorry, that isn't how it works during this pandemic. Your exception is over. And good job wasting a bunch of people's time causing the plane to have to turn back after it left the gate, too. Should be a fine for this to this woman as well.

I do not want to disregard the challenges and difficulties involved with raising an Autistic child and understand this woman is in a stressful situation. Given the significant challenges in having an Autistic child I cannot fathom what kind of an irresponsible parent would bring an Autistic child onto an airplane during the pandemic to take a flight rather than just driving instead. Unless this child requires such an intense level of care that it would not have been safe for her to drive, with the child in the car. And if that is the case, I am sorry, but this woman and this child had no business traveling at all by any means. There is no telling how damaging and demoralizing this whole episode is to this child. This mother should be very ashamed of herself. Instead she is going to the media with the story. Disgusting.
Yeah, the mother should be ashamed of herself, should be fined, and the whole family should be banned from flying Southwest forever. Why not tie them up and burn them all at the stake too! My goodness....
Kevin AA is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 6:49 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Posts: 3,093
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post



The child would not have been screaming if the parents had not been forced to put a mask on him. They flew from Houston to Midland without an issue but the crew decided to be prison matrons going the other direction.

"but the crew decided to enforce the rules and protect the rest of the passengers going the other direction"

I fixed that for you. And I expect if the first crew allowed the child to fly unmasked that they will be hearing about it.

The rules are clearly stated. It sucks that so many people can't fly these days: Autistic kids, folks with COPD, others at risk, but that's part of what has to be done to stop this virus
Out of my Element is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 7:09 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Midwest USA
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, WN A+/CP, UA SIL, DL Plat, Marriott TIT (LT), Hyatt EXPL, Hilton DIA
Posts: 1,750
Originally Posted by Kevin AA View Post
A three year old? Get a grip Southwest.
If he was 33 would you feel the same way? They should have driven. Rules are clearly stated.
Tanic, flyer4512, Auscal and 7 others like this.
nachosdelux is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 7:30 am
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 49,467
"Prison matrons"??? How about enforcing safety & security rules which have been put in place to save lives?

For those who think this is wrong, ask yourself what you would do if you were seated and an unmasked passenger sat down next to or near you? Are you willing to accept that they are not shedding the virus and thus placing you and others in the vicinity at risk?
Often1 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:11 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,190
Originally Posted by nachosdelux View Post
If he was 33 would you feel the same way? They should have driven. Rules are clearly stated.
It looks like the rules were changed on July 29 to require all passengers 2 and older to wear a mask. If this family bought their ticket before the rules changes, would you feel the same way? Were they entitled to a refund (not a voucher)?
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:14 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,190
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
"Prison matrons"??? How about enforcing safety & security rules which have been put in place to save lives?

For those who think this is wrong, ask yourself what you would do if you were seated and an unmasked passenger sat down next to or near you? Are you willing to accept that they are not shedding the virus and thus placing you and others in the vicinity at risk?
Do you think WN should change their policy on lap infants? Currently they are not required to wear masks and you may be seated next a child just shy of 2 years old without a mask. Should WN ban lap infants or require them to wear masks?
oil likes this.
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:22 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Posts: 6,183
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
Do you think WN should change their policy on lap infants? Currently they are not required to wear masks and you may be seated next a child just shy of 2 years old without a mask. Should WN ban lap infants or require them to wear masks?
Yes, they should. Part of why I will not fly.
lougord99 is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 8:29 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,190
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
Yes, they should. Part of why I will not fly.
Which one is preferable? Require lap infants to wear masks, which may be difficult because it is contrary to CDC guidelines, or ban children under 2 from flying?
Billy Mumphrey is offline  
Old Aug 12, 20, 9:45 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey View Post
It looks like the rules were changed on July 29 to require all passengers 2 and older to wear a mask. If this family bought their ticket before the rules changes, would you feel the same way? Were they entitled to a refund (not a voucher)?
If they bought their tickets before the rules changes, they should have contacted the airline to discuss options, not delay EVERYONE else on the plane. Just because they got lucky on the outbound doesn't mean this was the right thing to do. While WN should have a policy in place for people in their situation (and they likely do), even if they don't it doesn't excuse this.
polinka likes this.
JMorgana is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: