Wiki Posts
Search

Funds to Point Conversion Now Live!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by libralibra
you missed the deadline of 9/7.
We will see a lot of this over the next 7 weeks. I hope Southwest opens a new funds conversion window to help customers who did not read the terms carefully.
HankAAFlyer and ursine1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by nsx
We will see a lot of this over the next 7 weeks. I hope Southwest opens a new funds conversion window to help customers who did not read the terms carefully.
A lot of people simply rebooked and mistakenly thought that doing so during the covered period would extend their funds should they later need to cancel. And, those who did actually cancel, but rebooked the same day (not waiting at least overnight for the system to extend the funds) are now discovering that their funds were never extended.

Also, many customers simply rebooked in good-faith, multiple times, with hopes of actually flying, only to discover that now their funds are nearing expiration. And that despite their destination still being unavailable, or under quarantine, Southwest is making no accommodation for them.

Sadly, my current understanding is that additional accommodations are very unlikely.
italdesign likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by synk
Oops. I now have $96 in funds expiring Dec 20. Are there any alternate ways to salvage or are these funds pretty much lost?
I am in the same situation. I missed the 9/7 deadline and I have $98 in funds expiring 12/31/2020. Hoping for another extension from Southwest.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: former {UA 1k // SPG Gold, HHonors Silver}, now starting up again
Hi all,

I have been off the forums for much of this year. I have funds expiring Dec 2020. I checked WN website/app a few times, I was never offered an opportunity to convert to points, or to extend the date. My understanding, reading this thread is:
- There was a trick, which involved purchase a dummy flight using the funds and then canceling that flight to generate a new exp date
- That trick had to have been completed before Sept 7
- My funds are now likely to expire worthless.

Is this right? Is there any way to salvage value from these funds?

Thanks,
bmir
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bmir
Hi all,

I have been off the forums for much of this year. I have funds expiring Dec 2020. I checked WN website/app a few times, I was never offered an opportunity to convert to points, or to extend the date. My understanding, reading this thread is:
- There was a trick, which involved purchase a dummy flight using the funds and then canceling that flight to generate a new exp date
- That trick had to have been completed before Sept 7
- My funds are now likely to expire worthless.

Is this right? Is there any way to salvage value from these funds?

Thanks,
bmir
All correct.

Once your funds are expired, you can contact Customer Relations (I recommend via Twitter or Facebook direct message) and request reissue as a Voucher. You have 6 months from expiration in which to make the request, and the voucher, if granted, will be valid for 6 months from date of issue. The fee for this is currently $100, which is deducted from the balance.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Independent
I don't suppose anyone has had luck getting Southwest to convert a voucher expiring before September 7, 2022? I didn't realize there was a hack - my understanding was that Southwest credits kept their original date (for me, Feb 2021).

Very frustrating.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So, are you saying you will not be flying with Southwest for two years?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
So, are you saying you will not be flying with Southwest for two years?
The date he mentioned, Feb 2021, is only 3 months away and during a time when everyone is being encouraged not to travel.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by hkcj
I don't suppose anyone has had luck getting Southwest to convert a voucher expiring before September 7, 2022? I didn't realize there was a hack - my understanding was that Southwest credits kept their original date (for me, Feb 2021).

Very frustrating.
Unfortunately, no. Southwest is no longer making accommodations due to the pandemic, and right now is playing things rather by the book.

It remains unclear at this point if Southwest will eventually offer any kind of additional accommodations.

Depending on the amount of your funds, your best bet would be to request reissue as a voucher within 6 months following the funds expiration. The fee for this is $100.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by ursine1
Unfortunately, no. Southwest is no longer making accommodations due to the pandemic, and right now is playing things rather by the book.

It remains unclear at this point if Southwest will eventually offer any kind of additional accommodations.

Depending on the amount of your funds, your best bet would be to request reissue as a voucher within 6 months following the funds expiration. The fee for this is $100.
Thanks, with luck I'll just be able to book a flight somewhere by February
Old Nov 9, 2020, 8:03 pm

Anyone else not flying during the pandemic and debating whether to convert their travel funds to points?

I have a decent amount of travel funds with the covid extended expiry. I'd much rather keep them as travel funds so my flying on them can count toward maintaining (or regaining, depending on how things go) my status, but I'd really like the lack of expiry that comes with points as I know I'm not going to fly until we're in an entirely different situation with covid.

As it stands, I'm thinking to convert my funds to points to make sure I don't lose them entirely depending on how covid plays out. I'd really rather retain the ability to earn with them, but it seems too risky to not convert to points.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by mdword
Anyone else not flying during the pandemic and debating whether to convert their travel funds to points?

I have a decent amount of travel funds with the covid extended expiry. I'd much rather keep them as travel funds so my flying on them can count toward maintaining (or regaining, depending on how things go) my status, but I'd really like the lack of expiry that comes with points as I know I'm not going to fly until we're in an entirely different situation with covid.

As it stands, I'm thinking to convert my funds to points to make sure I don't lose them entirely depending on how covid plays out. I'd really rather retain the ability to earn with them, but it seems too risky to not convert to points.
Yes... and I have delayed converting, but pretty sure I will.
Only disadvantage is that flights booked with points do not earn you anything. For those like me that will not be earning CP, or A List, it does not matter.

The big advantage is you can use points to book tickets for anybody.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.