Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Funds to Point Conversion Now Live!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lazygrad
Did the points add to your CP qualifying total?
Nope.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 3:43 pm

Maybe this has been covered, but ... what is Southwest's motivation for offering this ?

- Simplifying record keeping ? Only if all cancelled tickets go to RR points and TTFs are abolished altogether.
- Just being nice to loyal customers ? Perhaps. If any airline did this, it'd be Southwest.
- Making the company look better to investors ? Maybe having all those outstanding TTFs looks like more of a liability than a bunch of outstanding RR points, simply because the former is in dollars.

My money (so to speak) is on the last.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
what is Southwest's motivation for offering this ?
I'm assuming outstanding points are worth less than outstanding travel credits, to the airline's bottom line.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mediahound
I'm assuming outstanding points are worth less than outstanding travel credits, to the airline's bottom line.
So pretty much my 3rd choice above ?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
So pretty much my 3rd choice above ?
I'm just guessing, but yeah. The points costs the airline way less so to them it's like buying dollar bills back for 10 cents.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 11:30 am
Company Representative, Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Maybe this has been covered, but ... what is Southwest's motivation for offering this ?

- Simplifying record keeping ? Only if all cancelled tickets go to RR points and TTFs are abolished altogether.
- Just being nice to loyal customers ? Perhaps. If any airline did this, it'd be Southwest.
- Making the company look better to investors ? Maybe having all those outstanding TTFs looks like more of a liability than a bunch of outstanding RR points, simply because the former is in dollars.

My money (so to speak) is on the last.
Hi There! I checked in with the program sponsor on this one and confirmed that it's #2 . During these times of uncertainty we are trying to give you as much certainty and flexibility as possible. We want you to have a good reason to come back and fly with us as soon as you are ready to. That's not to say that we take decisions like this lightly or make them haphazardly. We thoroughly analyze our choices, but what comes first are our Customers. I promise you, we simply love our Customers.

To show how much this means to us, at our Headquarters in Dallas we even have a single chair in each conference room labeled as the Customer's chair. It's so we're always thinking about you in everything we do. This even goes down to how we write. We are all trained to capitalize the C in Customer due to how important our Customers are to Southwest. Because without you, we would not be here. Colleen Barret, our President Emeritus, would put it much more eloquently and was quoted as...

"We tell job applicants we're in the customer service business. We just happen to provide airline transportation"

So, thank you, thank you, and thank you again for choosing to fly with us!
nsx, Boraxo, Happy and 9 others like this.

Last edited by swaMark; Aug 13, 2020 at 11:37 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: AS, WN, UA
I have funds that expire 12/20, so they are not eligible for this offer. Should I book a faux reservation and then cancel it after 24 hours? Would that change the expiration date and then make my funds eligible for conversion? I wonder if WN will will expand their dates after 9/7 because it's not like things will be back to normal then...
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:13 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by bayareafamily
I have funds that expire 12/20, so they are not eligible for this offer. Should I book a faux reservation and then cancel it after 24 hours? Would that change the expiration date and then make my funds eligible for conversion? I wonder if WN will will expand their dates after 9/7 because it's not like things will be back to normal then...
Book any reservation and cancel it immediately. Wait until midnight and the funds fairy will leave convertible funds under your pillow.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by nsx
Book any reservation and cancel it immediately. Wait until midnight and the funds fairy will leave convertible funds under your pillow.
I hope the funds fairy visits my house!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I hope the funds fairy visits my house!
It works for everyone.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 5:24 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
It works for everyone.
Any threats to the contrary are toothless.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Thank you for making this easy Southwest.
SWAVictor and swaMark like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Mediahound
Is there any incentive to converting now, versus closer to the December deadline?
If you want to use points to book travel now. Otherwise, I don't see an incentive other than not forgetting to do it.
Old Aug 18, 2020, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
And, of course, if you convert TTFs to points, WN wins because they don't have to award you points for the future flight (as they would have to if you usec the TTFs directly). So, it seems that everyone wins here...
Old Aug 18, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: WN
man what a crappy time to have CP

havent used it once this year
Marko123 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.