FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   How Exactly Does WN No Show & Cancel Work in Internal System for WGA Fares (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2022956-how-exactly-does-wn-no-show-cancel-work-internal-system-wga-fares.html)

jetsetter Aug 7, 2020 5:34 am

How Exactly Does WN No Show & Cancel Work in Internal System for WGA Fares

I am interested to know exactly what happens when you no show a flight, or cancel a WN flight. Consider the following scenarios:

No Show with Reaccommodation:
When you no show a WGA flight, eeventually you receive an email saying the funds have been forfitted. I believe I have seen these emails both immediately at departure and also with in just before 2 hours after departure. How does the airport handle if you appear just after your flight departs to be protected under the official or unofficial 2 hour rule?

I'm wondering more precisely when the e-ticket coupons are placed in a voided rather than open status. Some other airlines have similar policies, but the e-ticket coupons are not voided until an overnight process runs or sometimes it appears the process is not run up until a couple of days after the flight.

Cancel Flight Fly Later
Lets say you are booked BWI MDW at 06:00 and you want to fly later standby. Instead of letting the ticket go in to a no show status, you proactively cancel the flight. Are the e-ticket coupons for that original reservation still in an open status ready to be used? I know for A List and A List Preferred officially they only offer standby on earlier flights, but I'm wondering if you cancel your reservation and show up at the airport later on the same day if the airport can readily put you on standby for a later flight?

Or, alternativley, when you cancel the reservation does the system do something more drastic than just keeping your original e-ticket coupons in an open status precluding an agent from using that PNR for travel later that day?

kennycrudup Aug 7, 2020 1:35 pm

FWIW, pre-dumpster-fire-year at least, I'd had two WGA no-shows- one where I was late getting to the airport, another when I'd booked a previous day's return and spaced cancelling it. The first case was in the middle of the day, so there were other possibilities to get home (i.e., potential "flat-tire rule"), so I didn't get an E-mail from WN, but I was still able to transfer the $$ to another flight. But the latter case was for a last-of-the-day flight and WN sent a forfeiture E-mail as soon as it went into "forfeit status" (thankfully it was a $39 special).

lougord99 Aug 7, 2020 3:39 pm

I don't understand how anyone but an insider could answer your questions and I doubt an insider would be willing to answer your questions.

smmrfld Aug 7, 2020 6:18 pm

OP is seeking proprietary information, which is not allowed here.

NoStressHere Aug 8, 2020 8:32 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 32589421)
OP is seeking proprietary information, which is not allowed here.

I guess.... but maybe some experience from those that have gone through these type of issues?

SWAVictor Aug 10, 2020 8:38 am

I honestly don't know the parameters for the timing of when a ticket goes to no-show status and funds are forfeited.

However, on your question about canceling. When you cancel, the ticket (coupon) is closed out and the funds are moved to an RTF.
So, if you cancel you no longer have a ticket to standby on, or a way to generate a boarding pass to get through TSA.

jetsetter Aug 14, 2020 6:42 pm

Yes, I figured someone would have a ffirst hand experience and there are likely many WN employees on the board. Lots of proprietary information is exchanged online despite likely corporations not being happy about it. For insttance, WN's recent employee memo on specific internal procedures how to handle someone not wearing a mask were posted directly on one of the largest frequent flyer blogs. I found it interesting to read these behind the scenes procedures for flight attendants and CS agents. It even mentioned what screen the CS agent would need to use to refund the ticket and what internal reports an FA would file.

That is interesting when you cancel it doesn't just keep the ticket in open status say
BWIMDW Open
that it apparently converts the ticket coupon in to some kind of instrument immediatley upon cancel.

It would be nice if we could standby for later and not just earlier flights as A List and AList Pref.

And it would be interesting to know more about how the no show works and if the airport can directly reinstate your ticket or if they have to ask Source of Support (WN's internal employee agent help desk.) if you show up after a res has been cancelled as no show.

I might even be willing to test it myself with say a $39 fare.

ayande176 Aug 14, 2020 7:25 pm

I once called to reschedule my flight free of charge in April (coronavirus times) 5 minutes after the flight departed. I missed the 10 minute deadline, but they kindly rescheduled me to a date of my choosing. I don't know if this was because of coronavirus or standard for them to reschedule if you call.

Also an A List preferred if that changed anything.

danielonn Aug 20, 2020 5:24 am

When you purchase a ticket the Coupon is Open once you fly it changes to Flown. If you cancel before the 10 min cutoff the system knows to keep your Funds open unless overridden will void ticket and close out the voucher