Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

No reason for Early Bird in current situation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards A+, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Honors, IHG Rewards

Is anyone (not A, A+, CP) still purchasing early bird for flights during this 'no middle seats' time period? I suppose if it is a cross country flight and you are trying to score the exit row or LUV seat, perhaps. For a quick 2 hour or so, I see no need. Seating is fine, and, given that PAX load of 1/3 less, bin space should not be an issue. Am I missing something?
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:01 pm

I am a companion pass holder. We used to purchase Early Bird, but there is no reason to do so. We can always get a row to ourselves now.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We normally are on a mission to get the LUV seats. But now with middle seats open - we can take any row.

Exit row is the only MAYBE good deal. Other than legroom, it is actually not the best seats if you want to use tray table.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I normally do, but don't see a reason to do so right now.

Just checked in for a flight tomorrow at 24 before and got A48. Good enough.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There is IMO no reason to purchase early bird right now. I actually prefer to board late these days, and pick the people I will / will not be sitting near, rather than choosing early and having no control over who sits near me.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite; United 1K; AS MVP75k
I just flew Southwest last weekend, LGA-DEN and DEN-LGA. I didn't purchase Early Bird, and checking in right at the 24 hour mark got me A30 on the way to DEN, and A42 on the way to LGA. I got the exit row on both flights, and on the LGA-DEN flight, two of the exit rows remained completely open. No reason at all to pay extra.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
A35 and A37 a couple of weeks ago on OAK/SNA at T-24(ish). 3 seats to myself as A37. I wasn't sure how many A1-15s there were because they're calling 10 at a time, but it didn't appear to be many. WN offered me an A1-15 for only $265. If only it had truly included a cocktail ... would have been so tempting ...
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A35 and A37 a couple of weeks ago on OAK/SNA at T-24(ish). 3 seats to myself as A37. I wasn't sure how many A1-15s there were because they're calling 10 at a time, but it didn't appear to be many. WN offered me an A1-15 for only $265. If only it had truly included a cocktail ... would have been so tempting ...
I am confused. A1-a15 is usually around $40???

Or was that the ticket price for a biz ticket - last minute? Or was that the differnce to buy Biz?
Old Jul 8, 2020, 3:40 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Or was that the ticket price for a biz ticket - last minute? Or was that the differnce to buy Biz?
Given when you check-in at one of the kiosks, it will offer to upgrade you to a Biz ticket and quite often the cost to upgrade from a WGA fare is in that $250 range, I interpreted that the OP was referencing a Biz ticket upgrade (and the kicker is the cocktail comment given one would normally get one of those with a Biz class ticket, but it wouldn't do you any good right now.)
Old Jul 8, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Given when you check-in at one of the kiosks, it will offer to upgrade you to a Biz ticket and quite often the cost to upgrade from a WGA fare is in that $250 range, I interpreted that the OP was referencing a Biz ticket upgrade (and the kicker is the cocktail comment given one would normally get one of those with a Biz class ticket, but it wouldn't do you any good right now.)
Yes, That was the offer on the screen.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Given when you check-in at one of the kiosks, it will offer to upgrade you to a Biz ticket and quite often the cost to upgrade from a WGA fare is in that $250 range
So what does the extra $210 (over getting buying Priority Boarding to get A1-A15) get you exactly? Is it just a scam for people who don't know that they can buy Priority Boarding from a person not far away? Or is it a $210 fee to avoid talking to an agent ?

I can understand such offers on airlines with actual business class cabins, but I don't get the point of such an offer at Southwest, especially when the much cheaper Priority Boarding offer exists just past the kiosks.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
So what does the extra $210 (over getting buying Priority Boarding to get A1-A15) get you exactly? Is it just a scam for people who don't know that they can buy Priority Boarding from a person not far away? Or is it a $210 fee to avoid talking to an agent ?

I can understand such offers on airlines with actual business class cabins, but I don't get the point of such an offer at Southwest, especially when the much cheaper Priority Boarding offer exists just past the kiosks.
Absolutely.

The kiosk offer is an upgrade to Business Select, and includes the perks of a Business Select ticket. In addition to an A1-15 boarding position (also available for much less cost as Upgraded Boarding, $30-$50), the other primary benefit is 12x RR points, vs 6x with a Wanna Get Away fare. (As noted earlier, the Free Drink perk is currently useless, as there is temporarily no alcoholic beverage service on board. The other perk, access to the Fly By lane has effectively been replaced for many by TSA PreCheck.)

The kiosk upgrade may make sense if you've purchased (or had purchased for you by an employer or client) an Anytime fare, or perhaps a very expensive WGA one. Otherwise the benefits don't generally offset the cost.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but one risk of the upgrade process is that, should you choose to "learn more" but then decide to decline the upgrade after learning the exact cost, you'll have forfeited your assigned boarding position, and will be given the next available one. (It's possible Southwest has fixed this issue -- I haven't had any recent need to attempt a kiosk upgrade.)
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:28 am

If you have a layover the kiosk offer should upgrade you to A1 - A15 for both legs of your trip.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:50 am

Honestly, I think the offer is only for those that have their tickets purchased by their companies and want to rack up more points on the company’s dime. Same for buying points on their hotel reservation site. It doesn’t show as a points purchase on the receipt, so basically it allows business travelers to buy points through their company.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:21 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1
The kiosk upgrade may make sense if you've purchased (or had purchased for you by an employer or client) an Anytime fare, or perhaps a very expensive WGA one. Otherwise the benefits don't generally offset the cost.
This is the scenario that I've done the upgrade. I sometimes end up with last minute travel and my company would buy an Anytime fare. If I wasn't able to get a good boarding #, I'd look to pay to get into the A1-15 boarding at the airport. But with an Anytime fare, it was cheaper for me (this comes out of my pocket not my employer) upgrade the ticket to a Biz ticket to get the better boarding position, then I'd go that route. (And getting more points as well was just gravy on top.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.