FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Change in Cabin Service? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2020343-change-cabin-service.html)

rsteinmetz70112 Jun 24, 2020 11:49 am

Change in Cabin Service?

On a flight yesterday the Flight Attendants served water in cups. I asked if this was a change and the FA said yes. Anyone else seen this?

NoStressHere Jun 24, 2020 1:05 pm

maybe they ran out of the cans?

fiuchris Jun 24, 2020 2:08 pm

The current service is cups of ice water, with an optional straw, and the snack mix on all flights longer than 250 miles. This changed last week.

ATLflyer2017 Jun 25, 2020 8:52 am

Thank goodness. Flew Southwest ATL-LAX and the fact that there was not any kind of service is actually ridiculous. They could so easily do what Delta is doing.

Eastbay1K Jun 25, 2020 10:47 am

Originally Posted by fiuchris (Post 32482501)
The current service is cups of ice water, with an optional straw, and the snack mix on all flights longer than 250 miles. This changed last week.

This was my OAK/SNA/OAK service yesterday.

Loose Cannon Jun 26, 2020 3:00 am

Still no soda available?

steved5480 Jun 26, 2020 6:41 am

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon (Post 32486289)
Still no soda available?

Correct.

flyinryan Jul 2, 2020 4:36 pm

I really don't understand why the water cans were fine, but other cans were some sort of risk...

fiuchris Jul 2, 2020 8:10 pm

The cans themselves aren’t the risk. It’s going through to take orders and then coming back through to serve them. Each interaction increases the contact time and close exposure. Additionally, many people naturally pull down their masks when speaking (without even thinking about it).

NoStressHere Jul 2, 2020 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by flyinryan (Post 32503374)
I really don't understand why the water cans were fine, but other cans were some sort of risk...

Easy.

Way less interaction. Take it or not. No questions. No serving this vs that. No collecting funds. I would bet they do not even want to do water, but have opted to at least provide that.

flyinryan Jul 2, 2020 10:29 pm

True enough - good points

bgasser Jul 3, 2020 11:42 pm

That is what the FA told me is what is happening. It is more likely cutting down their cost since one can can fill three cups.

storewanderer Jul 4, 2020 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser (Post 32506490)
That is what the FA told me is what is happening. It is more likely cutting down their cost since one can can fill three cups.

They need to find a new water supplier. You can buy 24 1 liter bottles of cheap water in a grocery store for $2.50 (less on sale). Basically a dime per liter bottle. They only need to serve 8 ounces of water. Find someone to make 8 ounce cans of water and and be done with it. Should cost less than 5 cents each. There is a cost to the cup too.

Eastbay1K Jul 5, 2020 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by storewanderer (Post 32507808)
They need to find a new water supplier. You can buy 24 1 liter bottles of cheap water in a grocery store for $2.50 (less on sale). Basically a dime per liter bottle. They only need to serve 8 ounces of water. Find someone to make 8 ounce cans of water and and be done with it. Should cost less than 5 cents each. There is a cost to the cup too.

That isn't how things work for airline catering. Everything has to be handled pursuant to various procedures, including chain of custody / security, which is not an inexpensive process. It isn't like the Costco delivery truck can just pull up to the plane.

danielonn Jul 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Go to an airport Starbucks post security for a Trenta Ice Water or 2 Ventis and a Travel Holder and leave a $1 tip works all the time. Or I say I got my coffee can I please get two venti ice waters for my Friend and I?.I have been doing this for years as Starbucks has good filtered water. If the airline lounge is open I take Soda Water cans or bottled water.