Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight time change, can I get refund?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Flight time change, can I get refund?

I received an email today stating my flight WN2648 19:05 - 20:25 from LAX to PHX on August 28th has been moved to flight WN400 18:35 - 20:00 August 28th. What I would like to know is if I am able to decline this change and receive a refund? It's a Wanna Get Away fare.

Due to Covid-19 travel restrictions it is unlikely I will be able to travel to the US in August and I'm planning to cancel my trip. But I have two domestic flights that I can only cancel for a voucher. If I can get cash refunds for flights I would prefer that as I might never use those vouchers. So I am wondering if the above change makes me eligible for a cash refund for this flight?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t think a 30 minute change gives rise to a refund but things may be different at the moment.
Xenor and benfro6 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Yeah that was my initial thought that half an hour might not be long enough of a change to matter. Although the flight number has changed as well.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I'd push for it. Official CoC has said if YOUR flight is cancelled or cannot be operated.

"My flight was cancelled and I am not happy with the new suggested flight #" might be all you need to say. Twitter agents are usually better than calling the general reservation/sales #.

Additional reasons, if asked, would of course be based on your individual circumstances. Do you have a work conference call that does not end until 18:30? Or is your spouse unable to get you to the airport until after 6pm?
Xenor likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
I'd push for it. Official CoC has said if YOUR flight is cancelled or cannot be operated.

"My flight was cancelled and I am not happy with the new suggested flight #" might be all you need to say. Twitter agents are usually better than calling the general reservation/sales #.

Additional reasons, if asked, would of course be based on your individual circumstances. Do you have a work conference call that does not end until 18:30? Or is your spouse unable to get you to the airport until after 6pm?
Thanks. Yeah I may as well try my luck, and I find that with most companies as well (Twitter works best). The worst that can happen is they say no.

I don't have any personal circumstances that would cause the timing to be an issue, it's more that I won't be able to travel to the US any more and I'm looking for any excuse to ask for a cash refund over a voucher - to be honest. I'm not sure they'd like that reasoning though. I plan to travel to the US next year but I won't need the flight on that trip so a voucher wouldn't be ideal. I have the same issue with a Delta flight in the opposite direction (PHX to LAX) in September so hoping they make flight changes as well.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Xenor
Thanks. Yeah I may as well try my luck, and I find that with most companies as well (Twitter works best). The worst that can happen is they say no.

I don't have any personal circumstances that would cause the timing to be an issue, ...

Of course you have circumstances.... chance of success might be tied to what you tell them.
Xenor and expert7700 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:14 pm

Yes, per the CoC you are entitled to a refund.
Xenor and Often1 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm reading through the CoC but it's not clear to me which bit. Is it 9.a.1?

Failure to Operate as Scheduled
(1) Canceled Flights or Irregular Operations. In the event Carrier cancels or fails to operate any flight according to Carrier’s published schedule, or changes the schedule of any flight, Carrier will, at the request of a Passenger with a confirmed Ticket on such flight, take one of the following actions:
(i) Transport the Passenger at no additional charge on Carrier’s next flight(s) on which space is available to the Passenger’s intended destination, in accordance with Carrier’s established reaccommodation practices; or
(ii) Refund the unused portion of the Passenger’s fare in accordance with Section 4c
I'm guessing ii applies? But section 4c then confuses me as my ticket is non-refundable (Wanna Get Away).
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Xenor
I'm reading through the CoC but it's not clear to me which bit. Is it 9.a.1?

I'm guessing ii applies? But section 4c then confuses me as my ticket is non-refundable (Wanna Get Away).
ii applies. if carrier does not operate booked flight #, passenger gets to cancel for refund at passenger choice. This overrides the standard WGA fare rules

I've had flight #s change (due to aircraft swap) without the times changing at all and still been able to refund.
Xenor, ursine1, Often1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700
ii applies. if carrier does not operate booked flight #, passenger gets to cancel for refund at passenger choice. This overrides the standard WGA fare rules

I've had flight #s change (due to aircraft swap) without the times changing at all and still been able to refund.
That sounds promising! I'll get in touch with them and see what happens.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 4:17 pm

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
If the real change is only thirty minutes they may balk, but all you have to do is say, "Hi, I'd like a refund to the original payment method on confirmation ABCDEF that y'all cancelled, the original flight number was 1234" to the Twitter team and if it's eligible they process it within around a day for me, a US-based US cardholder.
Xenor likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

So I took the advice of those suggesting I contact their Twitter team and my refund was processed within about 20 minutes. I'm impressed with that customer service.
Often1, expert7700, CA1900 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Their Facebook team is just as good. ( Probably the same people ) These guys are way better than phone customer service.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Their Facebook team is just as good. ( Probably the same people ) These guys are way better than phone customer service.
Facebook and Twitter are staffed by Customer Relations. The phone lines are Customer Service.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I don't understand the difference, nor does it matter. If I have an issue that easily be explained, I will always do Facebook or Twitter. If it is more complicated and requires back and forth to resolve, the phone still must be used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.