Snacks Return, But No Booze

Old May 20, 20, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Snacks Return, But No Booze

USA Today

Southwest Airlines will start serving in-flight snacks and drinks on Friday after a two month absence due to thecoronavirus outbreak.

But passengers won't be able to cash in one of the airline's coveted drink coupons: Booze is not back on the menu, at least yet.

The airline is phasing service back in, starting with cans of water and a package of snack mix that includes pretzels, cheddar cheese squares and ranch bagel chips on flights of more than 250 miles, Southwest spokesman Brian Parrish said.

Service won't yet resume on the airline's short hops.
JB OmahAA and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 20, 20, 9:28 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Herb (RIP) will channel his displeasure from above and cocktails will flow again soon.

while there are plenty of coupons in circulation, alcohol is still a significant profit center, and let’s face it, if the FAs can hand out snacks and canned water, they can also hand out Wild Turkey.
Old May 21, 20, 7:29 am

I hope booze comes back and service under 250 miles especially. Iíve mastered the Fll-mco beer drinking Olympic over the years!
Old May 21, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
I flew on Sunday, when I demanded my emotional support beer. I got no where with that. My wife asked for her medicinal G&T. Again, nothing.

Sigh...
Old May 21, 20, 9:53 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTG, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I wonder if the expiration on drink coupons will be extended one year out like everything else. 😀
ryw and Marko123 like this.
Old May 21, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Got a flight booked for July, hopefully its back by then.
Old May 21, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Because folks will disable their masks in order to eat snacks and drink beverages, I preferred the previous rule.
Old May 21, 20, 1:06 pm

Programs: WN, BA, Kimpton Hotels, Starwood Hotels
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket View Post
and letís face it, if the FAs can hand out snacks and canned water, they can also hand out Wild Turkey.
Food (pun intended) for thought:
Canned water and snacks are in sealed containers. Also, both are free and don't require handling someones credit card.
Tanic, ryw and Jerseyguy like this.
Old May 21, 20, 1:30 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ALARISstl View Post
I wonder if the expiration on drink coupons will be extended one year out like everything else. 😀
I am thinking they are going to do something. They have been know to be lax at one point, but got tighter this year. And they are also moving towards bar codes on all new coupons.
Old May 21, 20, 3:48 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by peanutsplease View Post
Food (pun intended) for thought:
Canned water and snacks are in sealed containers. Also, both are free and don't require handling someones credit card.
my beer is in a sealed container, is free (coupon) and even contains alcohol, an important component in hand sanitizer

your points are valid, but with WNís current financial situation, I canít see them ignoring this important source of revenue too much longer. Recently GK famously stated that ďevery swipe counts.Ē I guess we will see.
kennycrudup and TEBraniff like this.
Old May 21, 20, 5:57 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
If they're doing it as a cost saving thing, at least be honest about it. It's the exact same thing handing someone a can of water as it is a can of Dr Pepper or a can of beer.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 6:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
If they're doing it as a cost saving thing, at least be honest about it. It's the exact same thing handing someone a can of water as it is a can of Dr Pepper or a can of beer.
I said that too when this was first announced (and got given isht about it).

Either way, I'm glad to see things slowly coming back to normal!
TEBraniff likes this.
Old May 21, 20, 8:38 pm

Programs: BAEC(G); HH(G via AX Plt); SPG/MAR(T); Hz(PC); was [UA2P, WN A-, FL A+Elite, BD G, Hyatt P/GLB]
Fortunately HRL-HOU is 277 miles, so I'm good for my flights next month...
Old May 22, 20, 12:21 pm

I wonder if they're going to extend the expiration dates on Drink Coupons. I just got some more in the mail.
Old May 22, 20, 12:35 pm

Programs: Frontier Early Returns, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
I guess if they gave out just Dr Pepper or just beer (and they didnt charge for the beer) then yes it would be. Otherwise they are increasing their exposure time by asking vs coming thru the cabin. And not selling drinks is actually losing a stream of revenue when times are tough.
PlaneJane1 likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: