Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snacks Return, But No Booze

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Fortunately HRL-HOU is 277 miles, so I'm good for my flights next month...
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
I guess if they gave out just Dr Pepper or just beer (and they didnt charge for the beer) then yes it would be. Otherwise they are increasing their exposure time by asking vs coming thru the cabin. And not selling drinks is actually losing a stream of revenue when times are tough.
A Craft Beer Red/White Wine and rotating Liquor and Coke Diet Coke Sprite Dasani Sparkling water and regular water all comped is a start. At your seat you enter your request on the Mobile App and enter your seat and row. If WN wanted to charge all payments go through the app to a tablet. Drink Coupons would now become a Gift Card with a code you apply to the order. The order must be placed by a certain time depending on flight length.All Business Select Customers get their code added to their PNR automatically.

Thoughts?

Last edited by danielonn; May 24, 2020 at 2:39 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Fortunately HRL-HOU is 277 miles, so I'm good for my flights next month...
Yes. You should be just fine. As long as I'm concerned. You can have snacks or beverage. Just bring your own.
Old May 24, 2020, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes. You should be just fine. As long as I'm concerned. You can have snacks or beverage. Just bring your own.
Well-stated, Scotty.
joshua362 and N830MH like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Well-stated, Scotty.
Actually, no. You are supposed to have the mask on in flight at all times. Consuming snacks or drinks requires taking the mask off and touching your face/near your nose/mouth/eyes and potentially exposes the mask to contaminated surfaces other than your face. In my opinion once you have the mask on you want to keep it on for the duration of the flight, otherwise the mask is compromised and you may contaminate yourself worse than if you had no mask at all.

Frankly if you plan to eat/drink you probably shouldn't bother to wear a mask at all.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Actually, no. You are supposed to have the mask on in flight at all times. Consuming snacks or drinks requires taking the mask off and touching your face/near your nose/mouth/eyes and potentially exposes the mask to contaminated surfaces other than your face. In my opinion once you have the mask on you want to keep it on for the duration of the flight, otherwise the mask is compromised and you may contaminate yourself worse than if you had no mask at all.

Frankly if you plan to eat/drink you probably shouldn't bother to wear a mask at all.
I think it is reasonable to remove your mask for brief periods to eat/drink. It's not like you are eating a 3 hour, 5 course meal. If you are worried about contamination then use hand sanitizer before/after removing your mask.

Flying is dehydrating, and personally I am not going to go without water, especially on a long flight - others are free to do as they see fit. (BTW some people cannot safely go for hours without food/water for medical reasons).

It you are so concerned about this scenario, then perhaps one should not fly.
joshua362, smmrfld and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:23 pm

thanks Karen

here in south Florida we have to wear masks until we sit down at a table at a restaurant and then out the mask back on to leave our tables. If we can do that then I think we can take our masks off for a few minutes in flight to eat/drink. That or somehow Coronavirus knows I’m eating on a plane and will contaminate me then but not in a restaurant.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

No, No No.

The masks are not for your protection ( well yes a little ) The masks are to protect others from you.
Old May 26, 2020, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
...So again this is the issue here: to consume food/drink you have to take the mask on and off. That compromises you, compromises the mask. If you are going to eat or drink why bother to wear the mask at all.
Each and every minute you wear a mask, you REDUCE the amount of possible bad germs going into the air and somebody else picking it up. So, for example, on a 2 hour flight you take it off for 15 minutes while eating and drinking. You are still covered for 75 minutes and possibly NOT sending germs into the air. And maybe, just maybe the mask protects you from some other germs that get caught on the mask and not directly into your mouth/nose.

Perfect? Nope.
Can you still get something? Yes
Are chances of giving or getting something reduced? Of course it is.

DISCLAIMER - I am not forcing or mandating anyone wear a mask - just pointing out that some coverage is still better than no coverage.
dlaue, 737MAX8 and ryw like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:02 am

I would simply point out that the vast majority of people are not infected and pose no risk to anyone else. Everyone may be at risk of getting infected and of course no one can know whether they are infected or not. Even if you have an instant test and it comes back negative you could immediately become infected, and of course there is an unknown rate of false negatives.

There have been 1.7 million confirmed cases in the US and several times more than that probably occurred but no one knows how many. 1.7 million is approximately 1/2 of 1 % of the US population.
joshua362 and kennycrudup like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From reading threads in other forums, I've noticed that some of the airlines with multiple cabins also currently have no booze in coach, and only on request in the front cabin (business/first). Since Southwest is a single-cabin airline, you could say Southwest is not alone in this.
Old May 26, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Snacks (plural) is a bit generous.

​​​​​​Yesterday's 4.5hour flight service consisted of a can of water, a wrapped straw, and a small ~1oz bag of assorted Southwest* branded snack mix.

//These are now in a bag safely awaiting the quarantine timer to expire before consumption--we did not remove our masks or goggles at any time at the airport or in flight.
​​​​​
(same nut-free mix that King Nut company in Solon OH makes for various airlines including Hawaiian airlines).
Old May 26, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by expert7700
These are now in a bag safely awaiting the quarantine timer to expire before consumption

I've had 8 segments since the resumption of drinks and snacks ... <checks pulse> ... YUP! Still alive!
Old May 26, 2020, 9:25 pm

I won't bother to respond to the huge amount of shockingly ignorant comments here.

Drinks aren't returning yet because FA's don't want to serve them, as it increases their exposure. This is currently a battle between crew and management.
Old May 28, 2020, 7:57 am

I was on a flight yesterday, msy-atlno drinks or snacks were served.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.