Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Southwest drop service to more cities?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Yep, right after 9/11 business travel took a major hit. And the "fear" factor there was rather short lived.

The "fear" factor even if things get a little better will last much longer this time. And even a small uptick in disease spread will seriously impact "elective" travel. If folks are working from home just fine, they surely will not need to fly as much.
Old May 14, 2020, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Yep, right after 9/11 business travel took a major hit. And the "fear" factor there was rather short lived.

The "fear" factor even if things get a little better will last much longer this time. And even a small uptick in disease spread will seriously impact "elective" travel. If folks are working from home just fine, they surely will not need to fly as much.
and social media and video conferencing were in their infancy, if that. It was a different world on 9/11. Business travel HAD to pick up.

There will still be business travel. I think mostly in industries like manufacturing and technical fields where you can’t zoom into a factory or zoom to fix a product. But traditional business travel, such as meetings and trade shows, will be down for the foreseeable future.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:39 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jco613
and social media and video conferencing were in their infancy, if that. It was a different world on 9/11. Business travel HAD to pick up.

There will still be business travel. I think mostly in industries like manufacturing and technical fields where you can’t zoom into a factory or zoom to fix a product. But traditional business travel, such as meetings and trade shows, will be down for the foreseeable future.
Our company just had a virtual national Sales Meeting and it worked well. I think companies will rethink flying thousands of employees to a hotel location annually. The savings is enormous not to mention the risk of jamming all your employees in hotel conference rooms and the potential to spread diseases.
Old May 14, 2020, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
This is not a normal recession. Rebound will occur when fear subsides. I expect business travel to lead the rebound, because it can be profitable for the customer and because lead time is short for business travel and long for vacation travel.
Many business and organizations are cutting back on spend due to revenue shortfalls caused by the shutdown. Travel is generally one the places they will cut back on when conserving cash. It's going to take long after the fear subsides for travel to recover.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Our company just had a virtual national Sales Meeting and it worked well. I think companies will rethink flying thousands of employees to a hotel location annually. The savings is enormous not to mention the risk of jamming all your employees in hotel conference rooms and the potential to spread diseases.
+1

Professional events return when morale, team building, reward and incentivizing are the impulses. Will there need to be health screenings for large events? If so, who will be safeguarding attendee privacy?

Some bosses get extremely nervous when they can't physically see their employees. Remote work may recede.
Old May 14, 2020, 10:29 am

ISP service is strictly to destinations in Florida, FLL/PBI/MCO/TPA. WN also services BWI for connecting flights to other cities.

Frontier is starting to compete with WN at ISP to PBI and MCO. Not sure if they go to other Florida cities.

If WN decides to leave ISP they are essentially handing the market over to Frontier. Don't see that happen. Too many snowbirds commute back and forth between Long Island to Florida, as well as all the families going to and from Disney.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
sorry, let me clarify...critical business travel will continue. If I need a specialized repair or a part installed, the company will send someone for that. Traditional business travel will NOT resume as we know it for now
LegalTender and steved5480 like this.
Old May 22, 2020, 6:00 pm

Are smaller Texas stations like HRL and CRP safe?
Old May 22, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
Are smaller Texas stations like HRL and CRP safe?
The Valley is home to 1.4 million. HRL is probably safe.
Old May 22, 2020, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
Midway hobby and Love are three airports southwest is the primary carrier but the act as hubs there so they aren’t leaving.
I'd think Phoenix and Baltimore way outrank Hobby in the last few years as hubs of importance. If SW will just get the beer flowing I think they can kill the other Big Three pretty quickly. Airline survival will be demask and alcohol. Food was never an issue with WN.
Old May 23, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
I'd think Phoenix and Baltimore way outrank Hobby in the last few years as hubs of importance. If SW will just get the beer flowing I think they can kill the other Big Three pretty quickly. Airline survival will be demask and alcohol. Food was never an issue with WN.
phx and bwi are multicarrier airports.

the three I mentioned are WN dominant that other carriers fly sporadically to. Thus I can see other carriers potentially pulling out of those leaving just WN.

i was not analyzing which hub is more important.
sdsearch and TEBraniff like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Frontier, American Eagle, and Southwest offer service to ISP.

Frontier and Southwest are from multiple cities (under normal conditions), AA just to PHL.
Actually, Frontier is no longer serves ISP. They tried ad it did not work. Due to low demand.
sdsearch and 737MAX8 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by djp98374
phx and bwi are multicarrier airports.

the three I mentioned are WN dominant that other carriers fly sporadically to. Thus I can see other carriers potentially pulling out of those leaving just WN.

i was not analyzing which hub is more important.
DL has suspended MDW until fall. They were the only other domestic carrier, with four gates.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
DL has suspended MDW until fall. They were the only other domestic carrier, with four gates.
And also, DL has suspended MHT, PWM, ERI, and a few other specific routes, as well.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Originally Posted by N830MH
And also, DL has suspended MHT, PWM, ERI, and a few other specific routes, as well.
DL just cut another 9 now about 18. First cuts were cities close to other airports like CAK and BUR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.