How many were on your flight today?

Old May 7, 20, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
How many were on your flight today?

I would really love to hear the numbers given by people who are actually flying.

My friend yesterday said she traveled from LUB to BNA.

30 on LBB to DAL

60 on DAL to BNA

Last edited by mile ho; May 8, 20 at 9:36 am
Old May 7, 20, 3:24 pm

Did not know WN flew to Guyana. (I think you meant LBB)

Airport Information

Airport Name: Lumid Pau Airport
Airport Keywords: Lumid Pau
Airport (IATA) Code: LUB
quinzinho likes this.
Old May 7, 20, 3:58 pm

SW 324 ATL>LAX yesterday had ~80 on board. Nearly every "eligible" seat was taken, under the new seating guidlines.
Old May 7, 20, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by scott_w View Post
Did not know WN flew to Guyana. (I think you meant LBB)

Airport Information

Airport Name: Lumid Pau Airport
Airport Keywords: Lumid Pau
Airport (IATA) Code: LUB
Oy. There's always one.
Old May 7, 20, 11:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Over the last 8 weeks all my flights save one had 6-15 people on them, sometimes on an -800. That last one (Weds 4/29 SJC-SAN) had nearly 50. I'll be on one Sat and I'm wondering if last week was an anomaly.
Old May 8, 20, 9:36 am

SGN-DAD (Saigon - Danang) at the beginning of the week, full A321, every seat occupied.

Edit: just saw which forum this is in (I got here from trending threads). Sorry, feel free to delete. Iíll get my coat...
Old May 9, 20, 9:36 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by bobbytables View Post
SGN-DAD (Saigon - Danang) at the beginning of the week, full A321, every seat occupied.

Edit: just saw which forum this is in (I got here from trending threads). Sorry, feel free to delete. Iíll get my coat...
We're pretty relaxed here outside the Peanut Gallery, and besides that it's interesting to see a very different data point from short-haul flights outside the USA.
GVR Bill, dlaue, mile ho and 3 others like this.
Old May 9, 20, 12:45 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Given that Southwest has open seating, how does this work? I assume some people are traveling together and would like to sit together, while others don't. Are flight attendants blocking middle seats? How has the boarding process changed?
Old May 9, 20, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
I'll be on one Sat and I'm wondering if last week was an anomaly.
~30. An FA I'd spoken to said she was on a flight with 70 yesterday, so thankfully things are picking up, if slowly.
Old May 9, 20, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
~30. An FA I'd spoken to said she was on a flight with 70 yesterday, so thankfully things are picking up, if slowly.
I remember a day when it wasnít surprising to get 70 on a flight...but that was because they were flying WELL over capacity.
Old May 9, 20, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by ATLflyer2017 View Post
Given that Southwest has open seating, how does this work? I assume some people are traveling together and would like to sit together, while others don't. Are flight attendants blocking middle seats? How has the boarding process changed?
On my last few flights they were making announcements both at the gate, and as boarding proceeded, which said:

1) Middle seats were to be left open, unless you were travelling with family or otherwise in a group.

2) On one flight, which was "full" under the new guidelines, they pointed out that family/groups flying together would be required to use middle seats (as not enough would be available otherwise).

3) On the same "full" flight they were also reminding people that they would have to share their row, and not to expect to find an empty row for yourself. (This was during boarding, as people slowed *way* down, looking for empty rows as you might look for an empty aisle or window).

First and last few rows were also blocked, with tray tables down, but no particular announcement was made.
ATLflyer2017 likes this.
Old May 15, 20, 12:53 pm

~70 on WN1188 SJC-SNA-PHX today. First time in ~8 weeks I've had an occupant in my row. Things are looking up!
Old May 16, 20, 8:35 am

Another "full" (~95% of available seats taken) today WN781 PHX-DAL- not bad considering it's a 7:05a flight!
Old May 16, 20, 9:12 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
How can you find out if your flight is full

I called today to see how full my flight is, and the rep told me she could only tell me that there are at least 9 empty seats. There could be more, but that is all she could see. She did mention that they are only allowing 2/3 capacity with leaving the middle seat empty.

Is there any other way to determine how full the flight is?

Thank you
Old May 16, 20, 9:20 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by Mary Louise View Post
Is there any other way to determine how full the flight is?
No. In pre-virus days the flight with the lowest advance purchase fare would often have a light load. I have seen cancellation or delay of other flights suddenly fill my otherwise lightly loaded flight.

It's ironic that my flights in the first half of March, with fewer and fewer people on board, seemed so risky. When I start flying again the much higher passenger count will make those flights much riskier than my March flights.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: