GK urges TSA to begin temperature scans

Old May 6, 20, 8:54 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium
Will they screen children? Of all ages? What happens if a child has a fever, but mom/dad doesn't?
Old May 7, 20, 11:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by pgh234 View Post
Well, I still believe masks are worthless for asymptomatic people.
When an entire choir caught the virus that was asymptomatic spread. Any loud environment where voices are raised carries elevated risk. Masks will help in such situations.
LegalTender likes this.
Old May 7, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
​Why airport screening won't stop Coronavirus (science magazine)

"Exit and entry screening may look reassuring, but experience with other diseases shows it’s exceedingly rare for screeners to detect infected passengers. Just last week, eight passengers who later tested positive for COVID-19 arrived in Shanghai from Italy and passed the airport screeners unnoticed, for example. And even if screeners do find the occasional case, it has almost no impact on the course of an outbreak."

"...European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control concluded that approximately 75% of passengers infected with COVID-19 and traveling from affected Chinese cities
would not be detected by entry screening. A study.. concluded that exit and entry screening “is unlikely to prevent passage of infected travelers into new countries or regions where they may seed local transmission.”
steved5480 and Rd3 like this.
Old May 7, 20, 12:56 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I have two very young children at home. Multiple times we have taken their 101.5 + temps at home, stick in butt method and with other devices, and rushed them to the doc only for a "nurse" to rush swipe their heads and tell us they are fine or other lower reading. We protest and they reluctantly take another reading with mixed results. We even bought their swipe thermometer. This will never work accurately at any kind of scale...
pgh234 and Rd3 like this.

Last edited by joshua362; May 7, 20 at 1:13 pm
Old May 7, 20, 1:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
How long before CLEAR sells a bypass the temperature check option?
Old May 7, 20, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 View Post
The CDC has no more credibility. Remember how they were saying N95 masks won't offer any protection to the public (yet, pleaese save then for doctors). And said just wash hands, while other countries started spraying the streets.
What scientific organization do you recommend people use to make informed decisions about public health risks?
NoStressHere and pgh234 like this.
Old May 8, 20, 9:31 am

Niche airline idea: accept anybody, including those with temperatures and smokers.
Old May 8, 20, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
USA Today
May 7th, 2020
5:32pm Herb Time

Frontier Airlines becomes first U.S. airline to announce passenger temperature checks
Old May 9, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Eh, as long as it doesn't slow things to a crawl I couldn't care less- but- there's many times I'm lugging my shiz around an airport in a hurry, sometimes to the point of sweating. Would I fail such a test?
Old May 15, 20, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
TSA Preparing to Check Passenger Temperatures

TSA Preparing to Check Passenger Temperatures at Airports

The Wall Street Journal
May 15th, 2020 5:08PM Herb time

TSA Preparing to Check Passenger Temperatures at Airports

Travelers would have temperatures checked at about a dozen airports under plans that are still under discussion

.....U.S. officials are preparing to begin checking passengers’ temperatures at roughly a dozen airports as soon as next week, according to people familiar with the matter.

Details of the plan are still being completed and are subject to change, the people said. It couldn't be determined which airports will initially have the new scanning procedures. A senior Trump administration official said that the initial rollout is expected to cost less than $20 million, and that passengers won’t be charged an additional fee.....
Old May 16, 20, 10:21 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
The US Government has no constitutional authority to check for people's temperatures----what's next, people with Type O blood can't board too? Airlines as private businesses can check, but what's the cutoff----99 F, 100 F? And with this "perfect hoax" common cold; i.e., you can be asymptomatic or you can get it on a gold course's flag pole, all of this nonsense should be halted. Let's get back to a full economy and full airline flights. I'm sick of these planes, lounges, and airports looking like Koo Koo nests that we cannot fly over.
Old May 16, 20, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Spock Seat View Post
The US Government has no constitutional authority to check for people's temperatures----what's next, people with Type O blood can't board too? Airlines as private businesses can check, but what's the cutoff----99 F, 100 F? And with this "perfect hoax" common cold; i.e., you can be asymptomatic or you can get it on a gold course's flag pole, all of this nonsense should be halted. Let's get back to a full economy and full airline flights. I'm sick of these planes, lounges, and airports looking like Koo Koo nests that we cannot fly over.
You're likely headed for a lot of future frustration with that attitude. Probably best if you don't fly at all...will be less stressful for all involved.
NoStressHere and screeton like this.
Old May 17, 20, 7:37 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Spock Seat View Post
The US Government has no constitutional authority to check for people's temperatures---...
Pretty sure you find a VERY LONG list of things that the US Govt does without clear constitutional authority. Long battles ahead.
Old May 17, 20, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Meh. Remember all the people back in 2002 who swore they would not fly until TSA was abolished and that they would drive long distances instead? I am certain that there are still a few of them. But, not many. Same here. If DHS orders this and it is challenged and not halted immediately, the litigation could take years and that means back to driving.

No idea what TSA is proposing to use here for technology, but most airports which do this in such a way that there is close to no delay, e.g. people walk at a normal or close to normal pace.
screeton likes this.
Old May 17, 20, 11:19 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Medical offices are being mandated to check temperature on every person who enters their office. If it creates no significant bottleneck or delay at TSA, its not a problem, go with the flow. The infrared thermometer systems are non-invasive and quick, although for those of Spock Seat temperament, perhaps oral or otherwise temperature checks could be offered.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: