Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Spend to A-List with unlimited Tier Qualifying Points

Old May 4, 20, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Targeted: From an email this morning: Double TQP (3,000 per $10,000) through the end of the year.

Spend to A-List status with unlimited Tier Qualifying Points

Also: 3x earn on grocery store purchases, up to $1500 thru 6/30/2020.

Last edited by ursine1; May 4, 20 at 6:48 pm
Old May 4, 20, 5:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, JB Mosaic, SWCP
So AList and companion?

how much spend to achieve AList?
Old May 4, 20, 6:19 pm

Is this targeted?
Old May 4, 20, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Is this targeted?
Sorry, it does appear so. (Although I suspect this may go out to a large audience.)
Old May 4, 20, 7:50 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by broncophil View Post
So AList and companion?

how much spend to achieve AList?
Normally, 1500 TQPs for every $10k in spending, and A List in total requires 35k TQPs.
Without the 15k TQP annual cap, it would take $233,333 in spending alone to get to A List. (Half that if you have the double TQPs promo).

(Seems pretty pricey to do it based on spend alone! At that point, it's probably got enough credit card spend to get most of the way to mid to higher tier status on a legacy airline too!)

EDIT - the cost is significantly less this year (though still expensive) than what I calculated above, as everyone will be getting 10k TQPs free later this year, so you "only" need to achieve 20k TQPs this year.

Last edited by ryw; May 5, 20 at 10:54 am
Old May 4, 20, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
Seems pretty pricey to do it based on spend alone!
Obviously. If you are lucky, A-List can be obtained by $1,225 or less in fare.
ryw likes this.
Old May 4, 20, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryw View Post
Normally, 1500 TQPs for every $10k in spending, and A List in total requires 35k TQPs.
Without the 15k TQP annual cap, it would take $233,333 in spending alone to get to A List. (Half that if you have the double TQPs promo).

(Seems pretty pricey to do it based on spend alone! At that point, it's probably got enough credit card spend to get most of the way to mid to higher tier status on a legacy airline too!)
The coming 15k TQP "boost" lowers the TQP threshold to 20k, and the spend to $66,700 (with 2x promo). Still high, but more reasonable.
Old May 5, 20, 7:36 am

Programs: UA Silver
But if you are getting A-List by credit card spend, why bother? The 25% bonus is worthless for cc spenders. The other benefits are meager as well.
Old May 5, 20, 10:52 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
The coming 15k TQP "boost" lowers the TQP threshold to 20k, and the spend to $66,700 (with 2x promo). Still high, but more reasonable.
Ah, thanks I forgot about the TQP and flight "boost" that they're giving everyone! Yes, more reasonable than the $100k + figure, but still pricey!
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 5, 20, 11:22 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by geo979 View Post
But if you are getting A-List by credit card spend, why bother? The 25% bonus is worthless for cc spenders. The other benefits are meager as well.
Not sure what you are saying. If a "cc spender" does not spend enough to reach A List, then a bonus/lower level would be good? Or not?
Old May 5, 20, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
The offers are targeted. I got the unlimited 1500 TQP/$10k spend offer but not the 3x grocery spend offer.

For those who got the unlimited TQP offer, read it closely. It's better than it looks; WN buried the lede! The headline should read Double TQP bonus and no limit on earnings.

The unlimited earnings alone don't move the needle at all for me. The ordinary cap on bonuses is 10x. How many people spend over $100k/yr on WN CCs? I certainly don't. And if my total CC spend were well into six figures I wouldn't put that much of it on WN CCs anyway. But a double TQP bonus - total 3k TQP/$10k spend - is making me consider shifting $10k spend between now & my December statement.
Old May 5, 20, 12:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Obviously. If you are lucky, A-List can be obtained by $1,225 or less in fare.
I got my 25 flights for $818 pre-shutdown. That included several segment runs in my push for 100 flights, which now will not happen.
ryw and Air Houston like this.
Old May 5, 20, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Not sure what you are saying. If a "cc spender" does not spend enough to reach A List, then a bonus/lower level would be good? Or not?
The 25% bonus that has always been an A-list benefit is for paid flights. If all trips are taken with award travel from credit card spend, that 25% bonus has no value or use.
Old May 5, 20, 7:24 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Is this targeted?
Originally Posted by ursine1 View Post
Sorry, it does appear so. (Although I suspect this may go out to a large audience.)
I received an email with the grocery and unlimited TQ Points promos; the email included my name and RR account number. However, neither promo is showing under Promotions, when logging into my account.

Has anyone had either or both promos appear in their actual online account? In the past, I was able to confirm that I qualified for targeted RR/Chase promos, through a link, but I can't find such a link, this time.
Old May 5, 20, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

I received the email as well, but neither shows up under Promotions in my account. There's no registration necessary, which might be why?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: