Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Mandates Pax Masks

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
By reducing drinking en route (water or otherwise) they hope to save enough on restroom supplies to offset the cost of the masks that they will have to provide to those passengers otherwise determined to fly bare. Also, for those wearing a mask, there is the risk of getting a blister on your nose where the mask rubs, or blisters behind your ears where the elastic goes. There is also the risk that you might get in the habit of touching the inside of your mask with your tongue, a subconscious habit, much like touching a new dental restoration or broken filling because it feels "different." Challenges, challenges
Old May 3, 2020, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
So today, I went on one of those "maker" sites and ordered a mask that'll express my feelings about all this- if they're gonna make me wear some BS mask, I'm going to wear a BS mask (and not a msec longer than forced to).
What will it say?
Old May 3, 2020, 12:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
What will it say?
No words (too hard to read, and I wouldn't have anything on it that would get me IDBed either) ... it's the way it'll be constructed (it's going to be a one-off design and I hope they'll get it right) that'll get my feelings across as to how f'in ridiculous all this is.
TEBraniff likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:18 pm

So, due to a family emergency, I am having to fly on Wed MDW-LAX with my service dog. I rarely fly (maybe 1-2x/year) but now I see they're blocking the first couple rows front and back. When I've flown, I've always requested preboarding to hopefully secure a bulkhead seat. My dog is a lab, so always better to give her more space if possible. Does this mean I won't be able to sit bulkhead?
Old May 3, 2020, 5:01 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lanac
So, due to a family emergency, I am having to fly on Wed MDW-LAX with my service dog. I rarely fly (maybe 1-2x/year) but now I see they're blocking the first couple rows front and back. When I've flown, I've always requested preboarding to hopefully secure a bulkhead seat. My dog is a lab, so always better to give her more space if possible. Does this mean I won't be able to sit bulkhead?
yep
Old May 3, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
If your animal is a genuine service dog, then I would inform the gate staff that you would be better accommodated in the first row. My sense is that Southwest would do what they could to accommodate you.

If your animal is an emotional support animal, my recommendation is to consider EVERY OTHER ALTERNATIVE YOU HAVE to make this trip. At the very least, I would suggest you consult with your therapist about your situation and seek his/her advice.
trouble747 likes this.
Old May 4, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've seen service dogs sit in non-bulkhead seats before. Your flight will likely be fairly empty (famous last words!), so your dog shouldn't be too cramped if you're in a non-bulkhead row.

The ops agent will know you're coming with a dog, so I'm sure they'll do everything they can do make everyone comfortable.
Old May 4, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024
What does solo have to do with anything? I am ticketed on sunday's flight from PBI to ISP. They told me they have just over 100 seats sold. Plane seats 143. 36 seats are blocked off in the front and back.

Does it make a difference if its just over 100 single passengers or its a group of 100 college kids on a class trip?

They also haven't flown from BWI or PBI in days. Do you really think this plane won't be anything short of jam packed? Might even make the news. Heard it here first.
Let me help you with the math. On capacity flights, only 4 rows will be blocked. That is 24 seats.

737-700 = 143 seats
minus 24 blocked
minus 40 remaining middle seats
leaves 79 seats to sell

737-800 = 175 seats
minus 24 blocked
minus 49 remaining middle seats
leaves 102 seats to sell

Your flight left with no where near 100 people on a 737-800. I didn't see it in the news. Lets calm down, all this freaking out about your flight you didn't even take in 2 threads does is feed into the false hysteria.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by 737MAX8

Your flight left with no where near 100 people on a 737-800. I didn't see it in the news. Lets calm down, all this freaking out about your flight you didn't even take in 2 threads does is feed into the false hysteria.

The whole point of a forum like this is to provide data points for those who are not able to get the data themselves. My data is based on fact from booking flights, talking to company representatives and comparing that to other passengers and stories that are posted.

False hysteria would be somebody that is posting points that are false, none of which I am doing. People on this forum are saying flights are leaving with 10-20% capacity. I am saying that is highly determined by market as other markets are seeing much higher loads. Most of the FL to NY flights are booked at capacity for the next two weeks, people have a right to be concerned and ask questions, ESPECIALLY when we are in the middle of a global pandemic and the airline chooses not to require passengers wear masks yet.

For you saying that I am contributing to the "false hysteria", I can equally say you are acting as a WN apologist. Fair game IMO.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
​​​​​In an attempt to get this thead back on topic, I moved my comment about the statistically insignificant possibility of some flights being pre-booked over 79pax prior to the other (ISP) thread

Last edited by expert7700; May 4, 2020 at 4:11 pm
Old May 4, 2020, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ave1024
The whole point of a forum like this is to provide data points for those who are not able to get the data themselves. My data is based on fact from booking flights, talking to company representatives and comparing that to other passengers and stories that are posted.

False hysteria would be somebody that is posting points that are false, none of which I am doing. People on this forum are saying flights are leaving with 10-20% capacity. I am saying that is highly determined by market as other markets are seeing much higher loads. Most of the FL to NY flights are booked at capacity for the next two weeks, people have a right to be concerned and ask questions, ESPECIALLY when we are in the middle of a global pandemic and the airline chooses not to require passengers wear masks yet.

For you saying that I am contributing to the "false hysteria", I can equally say you are acting as a WN apologist. Fair game IMO.
I am just saying that most of what was posted is false. The FACTS are:

1. WN is limiting capacity so all middle seats can be left open on all flights
2. WN is requiring masks for all pax as of May 11th

This is in addition to all of the cleaning going on as well and updated procedures boarding the A/C.

I'm just clarifying things that were said in the promise video that are reality. Just don't wan't false information to spread

Originally Posted by expert7700
​​​​​If a flight was already booked to more than the announced 79 seats before last week's announcement to the media, I'm sure Southwest won't deny any of the 143 or 175 from boarding. Perhaps that is what happened with heavily loaded ISP and RSW flights mentioned upthread.

Also, if a flight cancels and there is one last flight the same day, I'd imagine the gate agents have authority to get them moved to the later flight, even if it means all 143/175 will be occupied.
I think we discussed the same questions in the other thread lol

Last edited by 737MAX8; May 4, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old May 4, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I will again state that I see no reason why Southwest is suppose to fly partly full flights. If you are unhappy with 100 people on a flight, then you should not fly. I, personally, will not fly in this environment even though it is critical to my business.
Old May 4, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
On the masks topic, here are two first hand datapoints from WN long hauls:

last week: only 20% of crew (1 in 5 flight crew--a FA) wore a mask. 75% of the pax wore masks.
​​​​​
yesterday: 100% of WN flight crew, gate crew, and airport checkin crew wore masks in accordance with the new policy. On arrival, the gate agent had a nice hand sewn mask in WN company colors. Still, only 70% of the pax wore masks. This shows show that voluntary compliance does not achieve 100%.

On both days, only about half the airport support staff such as cleaners/shop workers walking in the terminal among the traveling public had masks. (even in a state with mandatory mask order, except when workers are eating).

I commend Southwest for starting to enforce customer mask usage May 11. IMHO, Airport authorities need to start enforcing the same.
Tanic, tusphotog, dlaue and 4 others like this.

Last edited by expert7700; May 5, 2020 at 10:08 am
Old May 4, 2020, 10:30 pm

As an additional anecdote/data point:

On SW 1035 LAX>ATL today all the crew was wearing masks. I'd estimate about 40-50 pax, about 75% of whom were wearing masks. I didn't notice any initiatives to ask or offer masks to those not wearing them.

I briefly lowered mine a few times for some water (carried on board), and noticed a few people doing the same to eat, drink, or take medicine.
737MAX8 likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:39 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I realize this is a move to make people feel more secure when flying as opposed to actually stop the spread of anything. Masks are shown to be largely ineffective and it is easy to not put them on properly.

If I am on a flight with lets say 50 people. The flight attendants are not doing any service, can't I just take my mask off? Especially if I have a row to myself? Wearing a mask for that long is very uncomfortable especially once it gets moist from breathing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.