Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Load Factor: 6%

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Yea... except prior to this event, they were doing OVER 2 Million per day.
Thought that was self-explanatory.

May numbers should build on lockdowns ending. And mask aesthetics.

WN won't try to play image-breaker.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 9:13 pm

These load numbers are NOT accurate for all markets.

I had a rep tell me just now that they have over 100 sold seats on the 5/3 PBI-BWI-ISP flight.

take away the first three and last three rows and that’s practically a sold out flight on a 700 series.

see my other thread about what’s happening with ISP.

they cut all these flights and now pack us on like sardines.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by ave1024
These load numbers are NOT accurate for all markets.

I had a rep tell me just now that they have over 100 sold seats on the 5/3 PBI-BWI-ISP flight.

take away the first three and last three rows and that’s practically a sold out flight on a 700 series.

see my other thread about what’s happening with ISP.

they cut all these flights and now pack us on like sardines.
They can't afford to run such empty flights unless you want to pay like triple the price for your ticket... full flights are what make money.

We've been packed in like sardines on flights for years now, that is how the airlines got record profits before this. What is new?
Old May 4, 2020, 3:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by storewanderer
They can't afford to run such empty flights unless you want to pay like triple the price for your ticket... full flights are what make money.

We've been packed in like sardines on flights for years now, that is how the airlines got record profits before this. What is new?
um, COVID-19 and the term “social distancing”
Old May 4, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
um, COVID-19 and the term “social distancing”
I believe the question was...how can WN afford to keep the airline running, let alone profitable, when load factors are in the single digits. Pre-'Rona, they needed nearly 90% load factors to do this. COVID-19 and Social Distancing do not put money in the bank (unless you are willing to spend a guesstimate of three times more on your ticket).
Old May 4, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
I believe the question was...how can WN afford to keep the airline running, let alone profitable, when load factors are in the single digits. Pre-'Rona, they needed nearly 90% load factors to do this. COVID-19 and Social Distancing do not put money in the bank (unless you are willing to spend a guesstimate of three times more on your ticket).
90%? You can make a profit at a way less LF than that. WN was breaking records at roughly 85% LF let alone just being profitable.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by 737MAX8
90%? You can make a profit at a way less LF than that. WN was breaking records at roughly 85% LF let alone just being profitable.
Certainly a red herring comment. Fuel hedging is no longer a possibility to add to profits.
Old May 4, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
Certainly a red herring comment. Fuel hedging is no longer a possibility to add to profits.
Of course a break-even LF is always changing depending on all sorts of cost and revenue inputs. But it has never been anywhere near 90% unless you are an ULCC like Ryan Air or Spirit or something.
Old May 4, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Of course a break-even LF is always changing depending on all sorts of cost and revenue inputs. But it has never been anywhere near 90% unless you are an ULCC like Ryan Air or Spirit or something.
So if they did not need my arbitrary spitball guess of 90% LF's to make a profit, and the LF's needed to make a profit are always changing...can we at least agree that load factor number required to make a profit is significantly greater than 6%?
Old May 4, 2020, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
So if they did not need my arbitrary spitball guess of 90% LF's to make a profit, and the LF's needed to make a profit are always changing...can we at least agree that load factor number required to make a profit is significantly greater than 6%?
Absolutely, and thanks to a new schedule now in effect and slowly returning demand, it will continue to rise to hopefully profitable levels in the not so distant future. Of course, thru at least June, up to the capacity limits WN has set per the Promise.
Old May 5, 2020, 2:10 am

Absolutely, and thanks to a new schedule now in effect and slowly returning demand, it will continue to rise to hopefully profitable levels in the not so distant future. Of course, thru at least June, up to the capacity limits WN has set per the Promise.
"Profitable levels in the not so distant future" with the current payroll? Seems unfeasible. Restructuring to a leaner model happens October 1 when the CARES Act protectees turn into pumpkins.

Unquestionably there's pent-up demand in the system. Some of it may flatten by lack of travel insurance cover for this virus.

Credit cards may cover you for your medical bills for getting sick - but not costs incurred by you for your trips, transfers, accommodation, activities and other being cancelled should another outbreak occur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.