FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Southwest cancelling flights early this morning. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2016478-southwest-cancelling-flights-early-morning.html)

hanly2 Apr 25, 2020 10:42 am

Southwest cancelling flights early this morning.

So it looks like they cancelled my flight to Aruba at about 1:30 am est. But they haven't posted any news as to what is going on. Looks like they moved all flights to earliest start of 8/11 into AUA. I wonder did any other locations get cancelled late last night?

LegalTender Apr 25, 2020 11:06 am

Originally Posted by hanly2 (Post 32323974)
I wonder did any other locations get cancelled late last night?

I suspect the answer is yes.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...79f0db6a22.png

MrsWLV Apr 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Jamaica for late July was cancelled for us in the last couple of days.

FindAWay Apr 25, 2020 2:41 pm

I had a few international points bookings cancelled. In others' experiences, will the taxes/fees be auto-refunded or will I have to follow-up (they're not in my TTFs)?

NoStressHere Apr 25, 2020 3:34 pm

So it looks like they cancelled my flight to Aruba at about 1:30 am est. But they haven't posted any news as to what is going on. Looks like they moved all flights to earliest start of 8/11 into AUA. I wonder did any other locations get cancelled late last night?

You did not mention the date of your flight.

They are cancelling flights every morning, noon, and night.

You title should be more descriptive.

BUT - pretty much all intl flights are no longer flying. As to cancelling... they cancel as they get around to it... dates FAR into the future are still there in case they are flying then. If you are flying anywhere intl in the next few months... well.. you probably are not.

Franklin7777 Apr 25, 2020 3:51 pm

Punta Cana too - also appears to be aiming for a new start of 8/11. We had an amazing rate, so we called and the agent rebooked us for a new date at the original price we had. Can't hurt to hope that one works out!

Often1 Apr 25, 2020 4:00 pm

Just to be clear, it is highly unlikely that PUJ will resume on 8/11. That is merely far enough out that WN does not know, so it is scheduled. Don't book anything non-refundable on the ground.

ursine1 Apr 26, 2020 1:37 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay (Post 32324513)
I had a few international points bookings cancelled. In others' experiences, will the taxes/fees be auto-refunded or will I have to follow-up (they're not in my TTFs)?

They're supposed to auto-refund, but people are reporting needing to call. I'd give it a few days, and then reach out via Twitter or Facebook direct message if they haven't shown up.

xliioper Apr 26, 2020 7:08 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere (Post 32324591)
You did not mention the date of your flight.

They are cancelling flights every morning, noon, and night.

You title should be more descriptive.

BUT - pretty much all intl flights are no longer flying. As to cancelling... they cancel as they get around to it... dates FAR into the future are still there in case they are flying then. If you are flying anywhere intl in the next few months... well.. you probably are not.

Cancellations of already scheduled flights within a week or so of scheduled departure is happening on an ongoing basis. Flightaware.com (screenshot above) tracks these close-in cancellations (although it only shows flights cancellations within a few days of departure and tends to lag the airlines). https://flightaware.com/live/fleet/SWA/cancelled

Schedule updates which involve flights that are further out, tend to happen on weekends. You can see these on airliners.net with the weekly OAG changes postings. Here is the latest from this morning (scroll down to the WN section) --
https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...?f=3&t=1445235
This shows AUA-BWI and AUA-FLL flights are now cancelled for all of July with restart currently scheduled for August (it doesn't tell exactly on which date in August they start, just that they are scheduled for part of August).

WN tracks a number of international destinations at link below. However, it is not updated realtime, so there will be a lag between the schedule changes and an update of this page. WN is not putting out any definitive lists or announcements of service changes to all destinations due to huge number of updates and changes going on. Probably the best resource you will find is to follow the weekly OAG changes posts above.

https://www.southwest.com/Coronavirus/

RVA110 Apr 26, 2020 8:39 pm

Yup lost a July 4th flight to Aruba a couple nights ago. Agent said something about Aug 11th being a new starting point.

I asked if they are flying to Aruba from any airport and the answer was no. Can't book either.

Website though still says June 28th as a restart.

This happened the same time I looked at Cancelon.com for my hotel booking, they filed chapter 11 and unless my credit card helps me, I'm out $1400 from those scammers. My vacation got super screwed the last two days.

LegalTender Apr 26, 2020 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by RVA110 (Post 32327295)
Yup lost a July 4th flight to Aruba a couple nights ago. Agent said something about Aug 11th being a new starting point.

I asked if they are flying to Aruba from any airport and the answer was no. Can't book either.

Website though still says June 28th as a restart.

This happened the same time I looked at Cancelon.com for my hotel booking, they filed chapter 11 and unless my credit card helps me, I'm out $1400 from those scammers. My vacation got super screwed the last two days.

What a horror story. Definitely hope your credit card comes through for you.

I know many here would appreciate hearing if/how this gets resolved.

Mr. Vker Apr 27, 2020 11:15 am

April 21 SWA zero'd out all flights to Aruba until Aug 11. I noticed and posted on a couple of Aruba FB pages. People weer in disbelief as SWA was so far divergent from the other airlines and Aruba startup. Over the weekend the cancel notifications started arriving to folks already booked on those flights. Aruba has said June 1 is the earliest commercial flghts will resume. I posted this on FB today in response to a question. Its just a hunch.

I believe SWA situation is less to do with Aruba and more to do with capacity planning across the whole system of the airline. They won't be able to flip a switch and be back to normal. Aruba is a challenging location. Only 2 -3 flights a day for SWA but take a lot to support those flights in Aruba. Ground crew, check in desks, and more. It also take a plane roughly 9 hours for the round trip from Baltimore and 6 from Ft Lauderdale. Obviously they will be back to Aruba, but it won't be a first priority as they ramp up again.

LegalTender Apr 27, 2020 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 32328845)
Only 2 -3 flights a day for SWA but take a lot to support those flights in Aruba. Ground crew, check in desks, and more.

They don't use contract employees that service multiple US-based airlines?

NoStressHere Apr 27, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 32328845)
I believe SWA situation is less to do with Aruba and more to do with capacity planning across the whole system of the airline. They won't be able to flip a switch and be back to normal. A.....

Maybe.

I think they could manage it if it made sense. But I highly doubt they could get many people on those flights if they ran them. Add in the intl issues and potential quarantine or even total blockage by either country to allow a plane to land... so, at the end of the day - why bother?

Mr. Vker Apr 27, 2020 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 32328904)
They don't use contract employees that service multiple US-based airlines?

They def have SWA employees in Aruba. I've seen them uniformed-they use contractors too. I just think they are setting aside Aruba for the moment and addressing other parts of their system. Right now, AA, Delta and United plan to fly in June-unless Aruba delays restart.