Not Resuming Flights to PUJ on June 28...

Old Apr 22, 20, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Not Resuming Flights to PUJ on June 28...

Despite their website still saying flights plan to resume to PUJ on June 28, it appears that is not the case. I have not been notified by SW, but my July flights there have been canceled without notice, and there are no flights being sold. They did not give me the option to rebook, and the points I used to book have not been redeposited in my account. Is this normal? I plan to call later to discuss further.
Old Apr 22, 20, 8:30 am

What dates? Flights before July 12th have been cancelled. For July 12th onward, they've been zeroed out, but not actually cancelled yet (they likely will be soon). July is still a ways off and the notifications are not instantaneous. You'll get your points back, no need to fret.
Old Apr 22, 20, 8:39 am
Original Poster

July 3-11. I was hoping they'd let me move my flights to a different date. And FWIW, the announcement on the Southwest website still says June 28.
Old Apr 22, 20, 9:25 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Franklin7777 View Post
July 3-11. I was hoping they'd let me move my flights to a different date. And FWIW, the announcement on the Southwest website still says June 28.
FYI to others - PUJ is Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Everything is very, very fluid. They are trying to figure out May and nobody knows when travel will pick up. And of course, even if every state removed all restrictions TODAY, how many would actually fly, and starting when?

And since this is international travel... anything can happen.
Old Apr 22, 20, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole place to locate operating information is on a carrier's own website. Forget about press statements and other notices. These things change by the hour.

The broader issue is that there is absolutely no way to predict what schedule WN will perform in July. That likely won't occur until early to mid June. Flights which are scheduled may be cancelled and others may have their schedules change. This will likely continue until the Covid-19 situation becomes more clear, both at the origin and arrival points (especially where one or the other is not the US).

For people who like to plan ahead, these may be tough times. But, it isn't likely to change soon.
Old Apr 22, 20, 11:35 am
Original Poster

So yeah... the carrier's own website (www.southwest.com) says flights cancelled through June 28. The reservation still exists in my account, but clicking it says it's already been cancelled. I was given no option to move this reservation and have received no proactive communication from SW, this is just something I discovered on my own.. What gives?
Old Apr 22, 20, 11:41 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
So yeah... the carrier's own website (www.southwest.com) says flights cancelled through June 28. The reservation still exists in my account, but clicking it says it's already been cancelled. I was given no option to move this reservation and have received no proactive communication from SW, this is just something I discovered on my own.. What gives?
Same sort of thing is also happening on domestic flights. I have dealt with a few that are apparently cancelled but I can not do anything with them.

They must be working like crazy trying to manage what was 120,000 flights a month with so many changes. When systems were build, nobody could have ever predicted this massive amount of changes. If somebody at least KNEW when things would change, it would be easier. But... nobody know. NOBODY.

Does not matter what their website says. The $hit fan is on high speed right now.
Old Apr 22, 20, 12:04 pm

Hard to predict current DR conditions will not be in force:

• A national curfew that prohibits all traffic and movement of people from 5pm to 6am.
  • Cruise arrivals have been suspended at all ports and coasts.
  • Public transportation, including buses, shared minibuses (guaguas), metro trains, and cable cars have suspended services, limiting the publicís ability to move freely in urban areas.
  • Events and public gatherings of all kinds suspended.
Old Apr 22, 20, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What gives?

WN has advised that your flight has been cancelled. You are entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment and should take that. Presuming a cash booking, better in your account than an interest-free loan to WN.

If it later become possible to book new flights, you might choose to do so. but, even if travel to the DR becomes relaxed at some time around the end of the year, you will still want to evaluate legal and practical restrictions.

I don't see leisure travel to the DR -- if that is what yours was -- returning anytime soon.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Apr 23, 20, 4:27 am

Call them.
Old Apr 23, 20, 1:40 pm

I am seeing the same thing for my account right now for a July 1-8 DAL-GCM trip. I go to click on the reservation to look at it and get an error, and website is also showing no flights for those dates. Will watch for a few more days to see if this clears up on the web site, but am expecting that the decision has been made and they're catching up and going through the process of extending cancellations on the IT side. Have been totally expecting this trip to not happen for a couple of weeks now- It was a reschedule from what was originally going to be a May trip.
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:00 pm

The advice likely meant to use the booking system to still see if flight is bookable (rather than looking at schedule change press releases which haven't kept up with the pace of cancellations). Some airline sites let you look up flight status well in advance, but WN's status check only allows you to look one day ahead so you have to rely on the booking page. If flight is not showing at all in flight listings, it's safe to assume it's been cancelled. If shows up, but says "Unavailable", it means they are very likely in the process of cancelling it and have zeroed out all the inventory buckets so no new tickets can be purchased on it. Unfortunately, until it is officially cancelled they won't provide a refund.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: