Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Just got the email. (Added: $0.015125 per point at high numbers)

Last edited by TheRoadie; Apr 24, 2020 at 9:47 am Reason: Calculation added.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
** This is for BUYING points - not the new conversion plan. **

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Just got the email. (Added: $0.015125 per point at high numbers)
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Apr 24, 2020 at 11:53 am
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:29 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
The points calculus is interesting now, given that status is extended through the 2021 year, and travel funds created during this period are valid through Sept 2022, it might be worthwhile to use points for any 2020 travel, and waiting until 2021 to start using travel funds. (At least in my case, under normal circumstances I usually qualify for A-list by flying about 26-27 flights per year, so almost all my travel is paid, and my points accumulate without getting used too often)
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Is this just for buying points, or the NEW option of converting travel funds to points? Please share what your email said.
Ooops. Buying points new discount. NVM.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Is this just for buying points, or the NEW option of converting travel funds to points? Please share what your email said.
Rapid Rewards Points Sale Terms and Conditions:

An early-morning @Email. Presumably targeted(?) as doesn't display on the website until logged on to RR account. Hopefully one of you really smart (and patient) folks will happen along and explain to others why these things are rarely a "bargain"

Offer is valid between Apr 14, 2020, 12:00:01 a.m. CT and May 22, 2020, 11:59:59 p.m. CT. Rapid Rewards® Member will save 25% when the Member purchases, gifts, or transfers 2,000 to 9,000 Rapid Rewards points; or save 35% when the Member purchases, gifts, or transfers 10,000 to 14,000 Rapid Rewards points; or save 45% when the Member purchases, gifts, or transfers 15,000 or more Rapid Rewards points. A valid credit card is required to purchase, transfer, or gift points. A minimum 2,000 points purchase threshold must be met on a per transaction basis in order to qualify for the minimum discount. Points can be purchased, transferred, and gifted in blocks of 1,000 and a daily maximum of 60,000 points can be purchased by a Member with no annual maximum. Transactions are non-refundable and non-reversible. Purchased, transferred, and gifted points do not count towards A-List, A-List Preferred, or Companion Pass qualification. Prices are in U.S. Dollars and does not include excise taxes. Please allow 72 hours for points to post to the applicable Rapid Rewards account. Prices for the purchase, transfer, and gifting of points are only valid while a Member is currently logged in to Southwest.com® and such prices are subject to change. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply and can be found at Southwest.com/rrterms. Southwest® reserves the right to amend, suspend, or change the Rapid Rewards program and/or Rapid Rewards program rules at any time without notice. Rapid Rewards Members do not acquire property rights in accrued points. The number of Rapid Rewards points needed for a particular Southwest flight is set by Southwest and will vary depending on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare type, point redemption rate, and other factors, and is subject to change at any time until the booking is confirmed.

The email address provided here is used for confirmation of your purchase of Rapid Rewards Points and if you’ve opted into receiving emails from Points.com Inc. related to Southwest Rapid Rewards®. This will not alter the email address currently stored in your Rapid Rewards profile.

Prices are in U.S. Dollars and does not include excise taxes. Prices for the purchase or gifting of Rapid Rewards points are only valid while a member is current logged into southwest.com and such prices are subject to change. Purchased Rapid Rewards points are nonrefundable and nonreversible.
All Southwest Rapid Rewards® Rules and Regulations apply in accordance with the Privacy Policy.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
Originally Posted by khtc
Sooooo, for those of us who do not have a current CP, but could probably earn one at any point with a new CC approval bonus, we have a decision to make. I don't really want to earn CP now because I won't/can't fly that much anytime soon. On the other hand, the CC approval bonus can be discontinued at any time. Also, earning CP later in the year may increase the likelihood that the benefits might be extended into 2022. Is anyone else in the same boat?
Originally Posted by khtc
>
>
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
TIA
I don't think it makes any sense to earn a new CP in 2020 when you will likely get very little use of out it. In November, take stock of the situation and if it appears things are returning to normal, make your plan to complete the CP in January. (This would probably be the best advice in late April even without Corona Virus)
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by Bearbear
I don't think it makes any sense to earn a new CP in 2020 when you will likely get very little use of out it. In November, take stock of the situation and if it appears things are returning to normal, make your plan to complete the CP in January. (This would probably be the best advice in late April even without Corona Virus)
For those of us who recently opened a Southwest CC, it may still make sense. The January offer had 40,000 for $1k in purchases and another 35,000 for $5k in purchases within 6 months (which means 80,000 points after spending $5k). With the additional 25,000 CP points it only takes another $20k in spend (less if you fly) by your December billing statement date to get a CP. I wasn't planning on trying to get a CP, but now I am shifting most of my spending to my Southwest Priority card. Might as well put all of these bonuses to good use.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Bearbear
Maybe, maybe not.

If you are not in a position to reach the CP level in early 2021 - then you might as well go for it now. Hit 100-125k in early Jan can be quite a challenge for many folks.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ryw
The points calculus is interesting now, given that status is extended through the 2021 year, and travel funds created during this period are valid through Sept 2022, it might be worthwhile to use points for any 2020 travel, and waiting until 2021 to start using travel funds. (At least in my case, under normal circumstances I usually qualify for A-list by flying about 26-27 flights per year, so almost all my travel is paid, and my points accumulate without getting used too often)
That's my plan, roughly speaking. I'll use points the remainder of 2020 (beginning whenever it's reasonable to fly again!) since status has been extended into 2021. Come Jan 2021 I'll switch to cash and TTF for flights to earn status for 2022.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 9:09 am

Maybe, maybe not.

If you are not in a position to reach the CP level in early 2021 - then you might as well go for it now. Hit 100-125k in early Jan can be quite a challenge for many folks.
Yup, that is my issue. I had greater than normal spending in early 2020. I am not sure that I will qualify in early 2021 if everything is reset on December 31.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest has announced a comprehensive plan to preserve our elite benefits and travel funds. The option to convert travel funds to points is novel and welcome. This is an even better outcome than I had expected.

Excerpts from the full policy: https://www.southwest.com/RRcoronavirusupdates/

We’re extending tier status and Companion Pass benefits

• For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who earned A-List or A-List Preferred status through December 31, 2020 and not through any type of promotion, we are extending your current earned status through December 31, 2021.
These extensions will happen automatically and will be reflected in the My Account page of your Rapid Rewards® account over the coming weeks.

We are making it easier for Rapid Rewards Members to earn tier status and Companion Pass this year by giving everyone 15,000 tier qualifying points (TQPs), 10 qualifying one-way flight segments toward tier status, 25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points (CPQPs), and 25 qualifying one-way flight segments toward Companion Pass. This added boost will accelerate your progress toward achieving tier status and Companion Pass in 2020.

No action is necessary on your part—the 15,000 tier qualifying points, 25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points, and flight segments will be deposited into all Members’ accounts in the coming weeks. Tier qualifying points, Companion Pass qualifying points, and flight segments will be given to any Member who opened a Rapid Rewards account by April 1, 2020.
It seems like this thread has become mostly a discussion about Travel Funds, but has anyone seen the above in their accounts yet (status extended to 12/31/2021 and the 15K TQPs / 10 segments / 25K CPQPs)?

I know it says it will be done "in the coming weeks" from April 16 and has only been 10 days but I still haven't seen any of that and am wondering if anyone else has.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bear96
It seems like this thread has become mostly a discussion about Travel Funds, but has anyone seen the above in their accounts yet (status extended to 12/31/2021 and the 15K TQPs / 10 segments / 25K CPQPs)?

I know it says it will be done "in the coming weeks" from April 16 and has only been 10 days but I still haven't seen any of that and am wondering if anyone else has.
Nothing here. But then again, it does not matter until the end of the year - so they could be holding off in case they have to make other changes. I would expect their limited IT staff is going nuts these days.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 8:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ryw
it might be worthwhile to use points for any 2020 travel, and waiting until 2021 to start using travel funds.
great minds think alike

​​​​​​Spending travel funds or cash count as A-list and CP Qualifying. thus, we will burn points until we care about re-earning status. In our case that is 2021.

So WN gets an interest free loan from my travel funds.
darthbimmer and ryw like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 27, 2020 at 9:04 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expert7700
great minds think alike

​​​​​​Spending travel funds or cash count as A-list and CP Qualifying. thus, we will burn points until we care about re-earning status. In our case that is 2021.

So WN gets an interest free loan from my travel funds.
And the interest rate these days is ???

LOL
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone seen the extra 25,000 points towards Companion Pass posted yet (from their April 16th email)?

This one actually matters. I have a sister that is about to book a flight for late May and would reach CP once this posts.

(Apologies to an earlier post that actually included this question, but got lost and my reply was... well...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.