Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
CPQP points would be insane.

Everyone with $1282 TTFs or less (@ 78 points each) could manufacture whatever balance is needed up to 100k more CPQP and thus CP in an instant. Because they are giving everyone 25k, right?

Unless I am not following you.
You're following me. However I don't think it's that insane. From anecdotal reports I'd guess the average CP use is around 5-6 times a year and the actual cost to SWA is probably pretty low, since even with high load factors there are usually a few seats available on any flight. The incremental cost of carrying an additional passenger is pretty low. The only time SWA would actually lose money is when they could have sold that "free" seat to someone else.
joshua362 and jmw like this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
You're following me. However I don't think it's that insane. From anecdotal reports I'd guess the average CP use is around 5-6 times a year and the actual cost to SWA is probably pretty low, since even with high load factors there are usually a few seats available on any flight. The incremental cost of carrying an additional passenger is pretty low. The only time SWA would actually lose money is when they could have sold that "free" seat to someone else.
I qualified for one via the BIS method for 15 straight years. The most I ever used was 4x, many years I never used it once. When traveling every other week, it was hard to justify or find energy to climb on another plane except to take the kids to Disney once a year. Others, especially retirees with CC churn, can probably make out nicely! No jealousy here.
jmw likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Was this cancel initiated by you or by Southwest?
I think by me... but with the number of bookings and cancels due to virus along a large number of bookings taking advantage of MAX8 scheduling... it does get confusing.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:31 pm

I still doubt that they're going to allow anyone to essentially buy CP for $1280 (at most -- much less for anyone who's already had any CP earning this year.)
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
I still doubt that they're going to allow anyone to essentially buy CP for $1280 (at most -- much less for anyone who's already had any CP earning this year.)
You know, I would normally agree with this - totally.

But these are not normal times. Would be interesting to see how this all works out.

(We already have it through Dec 2021 - earned in Jan of this year.)
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The only time SWA would actually lose money is when they could have sold that "free" seat to someone else.
They also lose if you would have bought a ticket for your companion. I'd guess that's the case for about 1/3 of CP trips.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dlaue
The flights I cancelled this week show a September 7, 2022 expiration date. All the other flights I cancelled earlier continue to show the original expiration date of December 7, 2021.

So, the extension is for 9 months.

And the extension only posts on flights cancelled recently.
How did you get an expiration date of December 7, 2021?

I'm a bit worried about some flights that I had purchased in October 2019. Right now, they're still showing an expiration date of October 1, 2020... and I suppose they fall outside of the window that qualifies for any extension at this time. The only reason I hadn't used these funds for anything yet was because of the novel coronavirus situation. I really hope they'll do something for me, because the extension to September 2022 is quite generous, but I feel stuck in between at the moment.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by lougord99
So I purchased a flight today with funds expiring in December. An hour later, I cancelled the flight. Funds are under the new PNR but still have the December expiration.
And 1 day later those funds have an expiration of Sept. 7, 2022.

So to recap, I used funds that did not qualify for an extension to purchase a ticket and then immediately cancelled. 1 day later those funds had the extension.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanb

I'm a bit worried about some flights that I had purchased in October 2019. Right now, they're still showing an expiration date of October 1, 2020... and I suppose they fall outside of the window that qualifies for any extension at this time. The only reason I hadn't used these funds for anything yet was because of the novel coronavirus situation. I really hope they'll do something for me, because the extension to September 2022 is quite generous, but I feel stuck in between at the moment.
What if you buy a ticket today for April/May and then cancel? I think it then qualifies for the longer term date.
bryanb likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:12 am

Several of my travel funds moved to 9/7/22 overnight, except for 2 of them. And in both cases, I had a second travel fund with the same confirmation #, like:

ABCDEF Expire 6/10/20 $34 (moved to 9/7/22 overnight)
ABCDEF Expire 6/10/20 $154 (didn't change overnight)

HIJKLM Expire 12/10/20 $198 (moved to 9/7/22 overnight)
HIJKLM Expire 12/10/20 $198 (didn't change overnight)

So I created/cancelled 2 flights next week using the confirmation #s . In each case the system also pulled up the "sister" travel fund with the already-extended date (of course, don't know why I didn't think that would happen). Was able to remove just the "sister" travel fund each time, and we'll see what my travel funds look like tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 9:38 am

Rolled up a bunch of small TTFs into large TTFs yesterday (both inside and outside the window). This morning the new TTFs are all showing 9/7/22 expirations.

It looks like there might be a batch job that runs overnight to reset the dates for newly created TTFs.

Thanks Southwest!
steved5480 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Rolled up a bunch of small TTFs into large TTFs yesterday (both inside and outside the window). This morning the new TTFs are all showing 9/7/22 expirations.

It looks like there might be a batch job that runs overnight to reset the dates for newly created TTFs.

Thanks Southwest!
I have a bunch of small TTFs too. From your experience and the experience of lougard99 above (post #83 ), it appears that I can combine two of them plus some cash to create a new PRN with a September 2022 expiration date (after cancelling the new PRN).

Sounds like a perfect stay-at-home activity!

Did you find any city pairs and/or dates with one way fares less than $45? I know that $45 fares are readily LAX - SJC.

Last edited by dlaue; Apr 19, 2020 at 11:08 am
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by bryanb

CORRECTION: Some of my TTFs still retain their original expiration date of December 7, 2020 (not 2021). The others have been extended to September 7, 2022 (an extension of 21 months). So far, I have 3 pages of TTFs, and will likely be cancelling some flights in late May.
bryanb likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I would love some advice. My DH has over $700 in TF expiring late January 2021, from a trip that was booked for business then cancelled due to the virus early on. I highly doubt he or I will travel until next spring at the earliest (we have a high risk 21 year old son with multiple health issues, so cannot risk bringing any virus home). If I book using these funds a trip for him soon, then cancel, is it likely the funds will be extended to 2022? The wording from SW seems to be it has to be a TF generated during this spring, but these were generated January 27th. I’d hate to lose that money, and when we do fly again it’s 90% of the time with SWA. TIA! PS: I just checked and his funds still have expiration of January 27, 2021.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:24 pm

Book a flight(s) between now and end of May, then immediately cancel, check your expiration dates tomorrow. Then you'll have travel funds generated during the APRIL/MAY timeframe; doesn't matter that the dummy flight was paid for with older travel funds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.