Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Old Apr 16, 20, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
Why add 25,000 "points" which cannot be used for travel?

Instead, why not just reduce the number of points required to achieve the companion pass?

I am NOT complaining. This is a super move by our friends at Southwest. But, it just seems like the programming necessary to add a new category of points is more difficult than just lowering the required points.
It's easier to determine who diserves these magic points than to keep track of different reward levels. And it's easy to credit members with points toward levels or CP without crediting toward travel.
Old Apr 16, 20, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123 View Post
I didn't realize status could expire midyear. I'm not sure in your case as the note says: For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who earned A-List or A-List Preferred status through December 31, 2020 and not through any type of promotion, we are extending your current earned status through December 31, 2021.
Last year, my A-List was set to expire 12/31/2019 but then Southwest suddenly extended it till 04/30/2020. I read on several forums that others also had their expiration dates automatically extended. Some until end of May 2020, others until end of June 2020. We did nothing beforehand. Extension was good but sort of screwed me because I typically earn my A-List by doing a status match with my AA status in early Jan. That gets me A-List for 90 days. Then I extend till year end by flying 3 roundtrips within the 90 days. Didn't get that opportunity to do the 3 roundtrips this year because of the auto extension till April.

Originally Posted by Marko123 View Post

So maybe you'll just get 4/30/2021??
SW says - "For Members enrolled in a promotion granting promotional A-List status or challenging a Member to extend promotional A-List status such as Status Match, Tier Challenge, Tier Experience, or a Corporate Status Challenge and who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date, we are extending your current promotional status through December 31, 2021."

Pretty sure it's till 12/31/2021. Assume I'm in a promotional granting promotional A-List Status but even if it's till 4/31/2021, I'd still be thrilled.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 4:38 pm

Is it ideal to convert travel funds to RR points? My guess is no because then you give up the RR points you would have normally earned when paying with cash/travel credit?
dlaue and medellinfein like this.
Old Apr 16, 20, 4:49 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Darn good news. We already have CP through all of next year, but still great news. Not sure I will be actually paying CASH for any flights for a long time.
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:26 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP
No extra 6 months for CP holders with expiration of 12/31/21?
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:27 pm

Question!!! Do you still need to get 125k Companion Points by Dec-31 in order to have Companion pass for all of 2021? Here's why I ask - if you already have companion pass - and now have it til Jun-2021 - if you get the 125k by Dec, do you really just get Companion pass for Jul-Dec of 2021? I guess that would make sense, but one would hope the new qualifying date will be moved to Jun of every year so you get a full years worth - you guys know what I mean?
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:37 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by mrcaptain View Post
Is it ideal to convert travel funds to RR points? My guess is no because then you give up the RR points you would have normally earned when paying with cash/travel credit?
WN funny money was pretty crap before tied to a passenger and a short expiration date. But you get RR points/flight credits if flown. If you forget to cancel, you lose the funds.

Converting to RR points, it's still WN funny money and you give up RR points/flight credits, but there is no expiration date, not tied to a specific passenger, and no loss of funds if you forget to cancel.

I still prefer cash over WN funny money if WN cancels the flight with CC funds. But this is a big improvement in WN funny money if you had to keep it. Forgetting to cancel is a much bigger risk with increased work-from-home very likely going forward.
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Very happy with this loyalty offer from WN. I ❤️ LUV!
Old Apr 16, 20, 5:48 pm

Programs: Frontier 100K, AC SE100K, BA Gold, WN A-/CP, Hyatt Globalist
I am still going to push for refund instead of any travel credit or points.

1) I have over 4 dozen PNRs between 3 people.

2) more importantly, I lose out on all chase/amex travel insurance and trip protection if I book with reused funds.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:00 pm

Nevermind

Last edited by Thomasdan; Apr 16, 20 at 6:52 pm
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:21 pm
Original Member

Anyone know about the promotional A-List status that expires on 6/30/20 thru Chase. Will this get extended?
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by sggolf View Post
Anyone know about the promotional A-List status that expires on 6/30/20 thru Chase. Will this get extended?
Yes, my understanding is through December 31, 2020 (an extra 6 months).
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:32 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sggolf View Post
What are the specific terms of that offer? Is there a component to extend the promotional status by flying a certain number of round trips by June 30?

The language in the new policy states:

For Members enrolled in a promotion granting promotional A-List status or challenging a Member to extend promotional A-List status such as Status Match, Tier Challenge, Tier Experience, or a Corporate Status Challenge and who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date, we are extending your current promotional status through December 31, 2021. However, for Members enrolled in any of the above promotions and who to date have not met the flight requirements, we are extending the deadline to meet the promotionís flight requirements to October 30, 2020.

My interpretation is that, if there is no requirement to fly a certain number of round trips to maintain A-List, then your status will be extended automatically until December 31, 2021. However, if there is a flight requirement, then you will have until October 30 to meet it. Once you meet the requirement, your status will then be extended through 2021.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Calboy9903 View Post
Why would they? You can't even begin to earn points towards 2022 CP until JAN 2021; too early to assume we won't be travelling 9 months from now.
Old Apr 16, 20, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Calboy9903 View Post
I'm in the same boat with you. I already earned my CP this year before COVID-19 hit, so I already have it thru the end of 2021. But like everyone else, we're all grounded and unable to use it. An extension thru 6/30/2021 is very generous to those whose CP ends at the end of this year, but I hope SWA will also consider an extension into part of 2022 for those of us who earned the pass already this year...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: