Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Extensions of Elite Status, CP, Travel funds, and option to convert funds to points

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by partymom44
We earned our CP in February of 2020 which will be valid thru Dec 31, 2021. I reached out to SWA to see if we, too, would receive a 6 month extension since we earned it but really cannot use it due to COVID19. I was told that they will not be giving US an extension which I view as a total rip-off. They should be able to extend ours, too.
Has anyone else encountered this situation?
We are in exactly the same boat... actually we earned in it January.

Total rip off? How do you figure that?

They are still flying planes everyday. You can fly if you want to. Sure, we would love an extension and maybe it will happen at a later date. And maybe not.

Give me a break.
jmw, smmrfld and synergistic like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:01 am

We are in the same boat! Earned ours in February 2020. I've reached out to SWA several times and it's always the same answer ... we aren't doing anything for you. VERY disappointed in that response and hope that it changes. If they don't make things right and fair, we will never again go to extra effort and expense to earn the CP for two years!
Your entire history on FT prior to this thread consists of you seeking referrals in order to earn a CP. WN's decision to not extend your CP is the right one in this case IMO, unless you can supply data points that indicate you have some value to the airline.
Tanic, jmw and Beachchaser like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We are in the same boat! Earned ours in February 2020. I've reached out to SWA several times and it's always the same answer ... we aren't doing anything for you. VERY disappointed in that response and hope that it changes. If they don't make things right and fair, we will never again go to extra effort and expense to earn the CP for two years!
I think you should just leave SWA since you think this is so terrible.

I can not believe someone would take the time to "reach out several times".
Tanic, jmw and smmrfld like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:32 pm

I recently used travel funds with a sep 7 2022 expiration for the $11.20 taxes on a domestic award flight. When I canceled the travel funds were listed as 4/15/21 which was a year from booking but they changed back to 9/7/22. This data point seems to indicate after the extension window ends these travel funds with the extension date will be good 12 months from booking date.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Your entire history on FT prior to this thread consists of you seeking referrals in order to earn a CP. WN's decision to not extend your CP is the right one in this case IMO, unless you can supply data points that indicate you have some value to the airline.
if you are asking I need 2 referrals to get cp
Old May 19, 2020, 7:01 am

I couldn't find the thread on the 25% rebate back on RR for credit card points (above 6,000 RR) with the chase cards for April/May/June. DId anyone get the 25% back on the SUB as well or did SW sniff that out? I know what the language says on the promo in my SW account but many folks last year mentioned they got the SUB and 25% more.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I recently used travel funds with a sep 7 2022 expiration for the $11.20 taxes on a domestic award flight. When I canceled the travel funds were listed as 4/15/21 which was a year from booking but they changed back to 9/7/22. This data point seems to indicate after the extension window ends these travel funds with the extension date will be good 12 months from booking date.
Yes that is accurate. Per this page: https://www.southwest.com/Coronaviru...=REFUND-POLICY
"It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase."
Old May 19, 2020, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by willywilkes
Yes that is accurate. Per this page: https://www.southwest.com/Coronaviru...=REFUND-POLICY
"It’s important to note, while these unused travel funds will be available until September 7, 2022, once the funds are used to make a purchase, the expiration date of the travel funds will then follow our normal ticketing rules and will expire 12 months from the date of purchase."
I think the interesting point here is you can use funds that already have the 2022 expiration and as long as you cancel them by 7 sept they will still revert to the 2022 expiration.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:58 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Did SW extend your 2020-earned CP an extra 6-months to June 2022? I can only assume that you sent SW all of your data points about the incredible value you provide to SW, and then they showered you with praise and granted you a special extension that no one else got (especially those NASTY credit card CP earners, UGH!! How dare they earn a CP according to the terms of the program?!)

Or, maybe, it's more likely that SW hasn't made a decision on the 2020 CPs yet, they will all be treated the same, and it won't matter how much corporate boot licking one performs?
Old May 19, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Thefirst
Did SW extend your 2020-earned CP an extra 6-months to June 2022? I can only assume that you sent SW all of your data points about the incredible value you provide to SW, and then they showered you with praise and granted you a special extension that no one else got (especially those NASTY credit card CP earners, UGH!! How dare they earn a CP according to the terms of the program?!)

Or, maybe, it's more likely that SW hasn't made a decision on the 2020 CPs yet, they will all be treated the same, and it won't matter how much corporate boot licking one performs?
LOL, with +/- 100 paid flts a year for over a decade and CP/A+ already earned for next year (and likely in subsequent years), I'm pretty sure WN is aware of my value. OP's value on the other hand...
Old May 20, 2020, 11:27 am

My A-list is set to expire May 30, 2020 which I earned by meeting promotional requirements last February (fly 3 RTs, or 6 OWs to get A-list extended for 1 year). I sent an twitter message to WN to check in on getting the status extended through December 31, 2021 since I believe I fall in the category of the following.

For Members enrolled in a promotion granting promotional A-List status or challenging a Member to extend promotional A-List status such as Status Match, Tier Challenge, Tier Experience, or a Corporate Status Challenge and who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date, we are extending your current promotional status through December 31, 2021.

To my surprise, Southwest CSR said I am not eligible to get my status extended with the following message.

After reviewing your account, I found that you were opted in and participated in an A-List Tier Challenge in February of last year which granted you A-List for 12 months after the promotional requirements were met. That said, your promotional A-List status went into effect in May 2019, and is set to expire on May 31 of this year, and is not eligible for the extension exception. I apologize for any disappointment or inconvenience in this regard. Please know that your patronage and participation in Rapid Rewards means the world to us, and we hope to share the friendly skies with you for years to come!
Old May 20, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
My A-list is set to expire May 30, 2020 which I earned by meeting promotional requirements last February (fly 3 RTs, or 6 OWs to get A-list extended for 1 year). I sent an twitter message to WN to check in on getting the status extended through December 31, 2021 since I believe I fall in the category of the following.

For Members enrolled in a promotion granting promotional A-List status or challenging a Member to extend promotional A-List status such as Status Match, Tier Challenge, Tier Experience, or a Corporate Status Challenge and who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date, we are extending your current promotional status through December 31, 2021.

To my surprise, Southwest CSR said I am not eligible to get my status extended with the following message.
Did you respond with the language you cited? How else is one to interpret that language?
Old May 20, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Did you respond with the language you cited? How else is one to interpret that language?
Yes I did and I either got a clueless CSR or Southwest was not clear in their communication out regarding status extensions. This was their response:

I understand your perspective, and I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding, OutofToiletPaper. Since your A-List Tier Challenge granted you promotional A-list status in 2019, and you did not meet the requirements in 2019 to extend your A-List Tier status through December 31, 2020, you are not eligible for the extension through December 31, 2021.
Old May 20, 2020, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by OutofToiletPaper
Yes I did and I either got a clueless CSR or Southwest was not clear in their communication out regarding status extensions. This was their response:

I understand your perspective, and I apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding, OutofToiletPaper. Since your A-List Tier Challenge granted you promotional A-list status in 2019, and you did not meet the requirements in 2019 to extend your A-List Tier status through December 31, 2020, you are not eligible for the extension through December 31, 2021.
That still doesn't make any sense. The language says "who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date," not "and who also subsequently met the flight requirements to earn full A-list by Dec 31, 2019."
Old May 20, 2020, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
That still doesn't make any sense. The language says "who met the flight requirements by the promotion end date," not "and who also subsequently met the flight requirements to earn full A-list by Dec 31, 2019."
Yea, disappointed with the response I received. Will probably call in to speak with another agent or send another message in a few days to see if this is as intended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.