Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Southwest extend CP/A-List into 2021? (was:CP/A-List Extension into 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Southwest extend CP/A-List into 2021? (was:CP/A-List Extension into 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:34 am

At this point they will look terrible if they don't match the other airlines that extended through 2021.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by bofc
At this point they will look terrible if they don't match the other airlines that extended through 2021.
What other airline has companion pass?

A-list extension is an easy one, but CP?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: Southwest Hilton Diamond
I am at 11 segments and had several flights booked that were canceled. When they resume flying and I am allowed to travel I will fly SWA just like I did before, I will be happy if they extend my status if I am unable to earn it outright for the remainder of the year but it will not factor into my decision to fly SWA or not.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
A-list, A-list+ they will extend.

CP, they will not. It's the carrot that drives too much revenue. They will reduce the number of points needed for the CP and probably have 3x qualifying points. But I do not believe they will extend the CP. That simply wouldn't make sense.
NoStressHere and Tanic like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mile ho
A-list, A-list+ they will extend. CP, they will not. It's the carrot that drives too much revenue... I do not believe they will extend the CP.
When things get back to normal it is likely that overall fares will be lower than in 2019, rendering CP less valuable than in prior years.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Tanic
When things get back to normal it is likely that overall fares will be lower than in 2019, rendering CP less valuable than in prior years.
Possibly. But, there will still be "free" flights taken. And keep in mind, that free seat could be the last seat that could of/would of been a higher priced fare. In the near term, flights will have open seats, but at some point, we will get back near normal.

Still - it is a REAL cost unlike A-list.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mile ho
A-list, A-list+ they will extend.

CP, they will not. It's the carrot that drives too much revenue. They will reduce the number of points needed for the CP and probably have 3x qualifying points. But I do not believe they will extend the CP. That simply wouldn't make sense.
I'm not sure I agree. I earned CP with butt in seat miles. For those who earned it via CC bonuses etc, agreed not likely to be extended. I earned AL+ and CP the hard way, and would fully expect both to be extended in my situation.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:48 am

I think its possible a one time reduction in qualifications might mitigate the situation. I don't know what is fair but A-List is 25 flights or 35K points reducing to 18-20 flights and 20K points may be an idea. The same thing could be done for CP
Old Apr 9, 2020, 11:49 am

CP may be extended AND restricted.

I'd lay odds SWA follows DL and leaves middle seats empty.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:03 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by LegalTender
I was also wondering about reduced capacity to facilitate social distancing. I do hope they will do it, because given a choice between a carrier that is doing it vs. one that is packing the aircraft, I'd go with the less crowded plane - - at least in the short term.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
CP may be extended AND restricted.

Thanks for the heads up, I doubt we take our Vegas trip in June ( or if DL has the no middle seat policy still in effect ) but I still went ahead and changed our seats to an aisle and a window.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by aaronp84
I'm not sure I agree. I earned CP with butt in seat miles. For those who earned it via CC bonuses etc, agreed not likely to be extended. I earned AL+ and CP the hard way, and would fully expect both to be extended in my situation.
Please feel free to share the language on your companion pass that designates it as "Super Special Butt Miles Companion Pass", otherwise you should probably come to terms with the fact that all CPs are the same and will be extended/not extended on the same terms regardless of earning method.
screeton and flyer4512 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 5:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I could see cutting the A-list and CP qualifying thresholds in half for 2020. That would be simple to understand and explain. Unlike the too clever by half funds expiration change.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Possibly. But, there will still be "free" flights taken. And keep in mind, that free seat could be the last seat that could of/would of been a higher priced fare. In the near term, flights will have open seats, but at some point, we will get back near normal.

Still - it is a REAL cost unlike A-list.
not necessarily. I take trips with cp that without it I wouldn’t take at all. They only lose with cp
if it’s a full flight, and that has been seldom ime.
dlaue likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 1:18 pm

I could see SWA giving a 3 or 6 month extension on CPs expiring in 2021 ... a full extra year will be super generous and unexpected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.