Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest Airlines to apply for stimulus grants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Dallas-based Southwest Airlines will apply for its share of $25 billion in industry grants that will require carriers to avoid layoffs and furloughs for six months.

CEO Gary Kelly made the announcement in a video message Thursday morning, also announcing that the company had secured $2.3 billion in loans to help it through the lean months ahead.

“We still don’t know the severity of the situation,” Kelly said. “We don’t know how long it will last, so we intend to apply for our portion of the government grants.”

The grants are earmarked specifically for employee salaries and benefits. The stimulus law provides $58 billion total in loans and grants to airlines, including about $8 billion for cargo carriers and contractors.

“The grants will also help provide much-needed cash flow to cover a significant portion of our salaries, wages and benefits for our people through Sept. 30,” Kelly said. "And of course that helps us commit to job security for the next six months, and as always, that is my number one priority. "

Southwest also said it was taking $2.3 billion out of a credit line through JPMorgan Chase. That adds to the $6 billion cash balance that the company said it was holding in March.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:04 pm

Do the grants have less stipulations than the loans?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 737MAX8
Do the grants have less stipulations than the loans?
If you meant government loans, it's not stated whether Southwest will apply for those. I do not know, but I suspect they have some stipulations, which may be why private sector loans (combined with free government money) seem more attractive.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Another guess without knowing all the facts, but...

Applying for loans and/or grants will surely have some sort of "stipulations". And, whatever rules exist today will change tomorrow.

BUT - applying and actually ACCEPTING any money are two different things. They can apply and decide not to take money later if that makes more sense.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:57 am

^^& ^Both good points. WN will obviously do whatever it believes is best for the company and employee's long term benefit.
NoStressHere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.