FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Cancelling and rebooking with companion passes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2014550-cancelling-rebooking-companion-passes.html)

hanly2 Mar 28, 2020 10:57 am

Cancelling and rebooking with companion passes

I am trying to manage my family vacation flight plans. We are flying to Aruba this summer. My wife and I both have CP and have 1 child as companion on each person. With the flight prices dropping everyday. I have to cancel each flight individually and then rebook each one its not the worst thing but it is a little time consuming. Is there an easier way to do it?

dmbolp Mar 28, 2020 10:59 am

That's how it works. Calling in might be "easier" if they can do it, but probably longer

NoStressHere Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am

You can "risk" not booking the companion for awhile. That is what I usually do (CP for 4+ years). The only risk is a flight being sold out - but right now I think that risk is very low.

zachary Mar 29, 2020 4:15 pm

I agree with NoStressHere. Don't book the companion tickets. Watch the flights and make sure they don't fill up. It's too hard to cancel and rebook if you have the companion tickets.

dmbolp Mar 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 32245661)
I agree with NoStressHere. Don't book the companion tickets. Watch the flights and make sure they don't fill up. It's too hard to cancel and rebook if you have the companion tickets.

Logging into the Companion's account, and hitting cancel/cancel is hard?

NoStressHere Mar 29, 2020 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp (Post 32246038)

Yea... it takes at least 30 seconds... sometimes a full minute.

Nothing is free....

mdword Mar 30, 2020 12:12 am

Just mentioning in case you don't know about the option- I've always done my companion's cancelations from my own account.

hanly2 Mar 31, 2020 12:37 pm

Got it all worked out guys thanks. Prices are changing everyday. I dont know how you can see if the flight is full or not so just being very careful. Right now I have it booked for 2k less then my wife, when I went to book on her account the price went back up again.

NoStressHere Mar 31, 2020 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by hanly2 (Post 32251513)
Got it all worked out guys thanks. Prices are changing everyday. I dont know how you can see if the flight is full or not so just being very careful. Right now I have it booked for 2k less then my wife, when I went to book on her account the price went back up again.

Easiest way to see if a flight is full is to attempt to book a flight. If there are no seats, it will not be available.

BUT - I think we could spend all day trying to find a single FULL flight anywhere at any airline right now.

As to being full in normal times, I will share that I did run into this once. It was the day before our trip and I had not booked companion. Flight was full/sold out. I just kept checking every hour or so and a seat eventually opened up. Based on searches here, everyone that had run into this had similar experiences. Showing up at the gate without a reservation was another story of course.

I change flights often due to either time or price and do not book companion that early - always.

Thinice Mar 31, 2020 2:54 pm

If you have a lot of points you can book all four on points, then cancel the companions’s points flight when close to travel date.

NoStressHere Mar 31, 2020 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Thinice (Post 32251944)
If you have a lot of points you can book all four on points, then cancel the companions’s points flight when close to travel date.

Yes. That can work if you have the points. It does require a call in though.

zachary Apr 2, 2020 5:25 pm

The reason I do it that way is because, when I tried it the other way, there was a delay between the time I canceled the companion ticket and the time that I could rebook my own ticket. They may have fixed that; I haven't tried it the other way for a while, so I wouldn't know. But sometimes I'm re-faring my ticket, and there's only one seat available at the lower price, so I want to book right away.

Seriously, I always booked the companion ticket a week or less before the flight unless the flight seemed to be filling up.

NoStressHere Apr 2, 2020 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 32258870)
The reason I do it that way is because, when I tried it the other way, there was a delay between the time I canceled the companion ticket and the time that I could rebook my own ticket. They may have fixed that; I haven't tried it the other way for a while, so I wouldn't know. But sometimes I'm re-faring my ticket, and there's only one seat available at the lower price, so I want to book right away.

Seriously, I always booked the companion ticket a week or less before the flight unless the flight seemed to be filling up.

Not sure what you are saying. I have booked and cancelled many many companion tickets,and then rebooked. Often it does take a few minutes before the system updates.

Refaring? book the NEW ticket before you even cancel the old one if you want. Never a problem to do that.