Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points prices increase relative to total fare as some taxes become part of base fare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points prices increase relative to total fare as some taxes become part of base fare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2020, 12:20 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Maybe.

Fares go up and down constantly. And the #1 rule in setting fares is to get the most $$$ per revenue mile. Said another way, sell tickets at the highest fare possible. That is business 101. They of course must match to supply and demand. If they sold Chicago to New York for $800, they would not sell any. And, if they sell it for $29, they go out of business.

Again, fares go up and down daily. Many of the tickets I have booked in the past week have been at very good prices. Lower than I normally see for some routes we fly repeatedly
Did you check them Saturday morning when the tax holiday first became effective? They were cheaper then and then hiked a few hours later to eat the tax holiday. This is a clear case of a points devaluation and cash fares went up relative to Saturday morning. Cash fares should not be going up when demand is literally rock bottom low.

Stop with the economics lesson. We all took the same classes in high school and college.

Now the credit card bloggers are claiming it's not a points devaluation when it clearly is as explained above vs Saturday morning. What a shocker.... More reason not to believe their drivel going forward if they even survive the recession.
jjbiv and HighFlyinChar like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Wow. I wasn’t clear how anyone could complain about a cross country $49 fare. But I guess it is possible.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by HighFlyinChar
Nobody was demonstrating a lack of business principles. Was simply addressing that there ARE savings that they are not passing to the customer of which you said there were none. Obviously they are trying to capitalize on as much as possible.
Folks are assuming there are savings to be had.

If they are selling a flight for $240 including taxes, maybe they really needed/wanted to sell if for $260 but the market would not bear it.
Maybe they were selling the ticket at a loss at $240.

Based on current information and flight loads, they really need to sell that seat for $900, but they of course can not do that.

But, now they can still sell it for $240 because the market will handle it, and that is what they need to run the business.

Simple numbers, but to assume that any airline is saving money or capitalizing due the removal of some taxes is a big assumption.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:28 pm

The federal bailout package included suspending some of the excise taxes for tickets purchased between March 28 and Dec. 31, to help the airlines struggling financially amid the coronavirus pandemic. Since the feds require air carriers to advertise/list only "all-in" fares (including taxes), the desired net effect would be to convert the amount of those taxes into additional profit for the carrier. That's why the advertised/listed fares did not change. If a carrier wanted to pass on those savings to the passenger, they would need to have lowered the fares advertised/listed by the amount of the taxes. Since the bailout is for the benefit of airlines, not consumers, the base fares were instead increased so that the advertised/listed fare remained constant.
willywilkes likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Folks are assuming there are savings to be had.

If they are selling a flight for $240 including taxes, maybe they really needed/wanted to sell if for $260 but the market would not bear it.
Maybe they were selling the ticket at a loss at $240.

Based on current information and flight loads, they really need to sell that seat for $900, but they of course can not do that.

But, now they can still sell it for $240 because the market will handle it, and that is what they need to run the business.

Simple numbers, but to assume that any airline is saving money or capitalizing due the removal of some taxes is a big assumption.
Yeah, this is the answer. The trip is worth, let's say, $240 to the customer, who cares not a bit whether $1 goes to WN and $239 to the feds, or the reverse. WN will sell for the most it can and keep what it can and that's that. Or go out of business I guess.

Sort of like the argument that the proper level of taxation of corporations and businesses from an economic standpoint is 0%. The customer pays either way in actuality, so why not simplify? Would save a TON of money on accountants and recordkeeping and shifting income to Ireland and lobbying and bribing politicians and all that nonsense if we just taxed businesses and companies at 0% on their gross income and only taxed the money when it came out: payroll, dividends, and capital gains on sale of stock. Put it at a flat rate and be done with it. Plus we would suck in all the capital from the whole world in the process. EVERY business on earth would want to locate here.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I think I really like what you just said, except that I have no idea what you just said.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:24 pm

Simpler:

Customers used to pay an amount equal to the tax to the government. Now they pay it to Southwest.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yeah, this is the answer. The trip is worth, let's say, $240 to the customer, who cares not a bit whether $1 goes to WN and $239 to the feds, or the reverse. WN will sell for the most it can and keep what it can and that's that. Or go out of business I guess.....
Well said. Simple.

Maybe that should have been a $270 flight, but the airline had to sell at $240 to meet the market.

Really simple stuff folks. WN or SW or SWA or Southwest is not screwing anybody. In fact, they are taking a major hit on revenue. MAJOR.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:08 pm

No one is suggesting they're not taking a major hit right now. They're also not screwing anybody. They are, however -- germane to this discussion -- benefiting from the stimulus package in the very specific way of keeping as revenue monies that used to be sent to the government as tax payments. This was intended.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.