Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

U.S. Domestic Passenger Flights Could Virtually Shut Down

U.S. Domestic Passenger Flights Could Virtually Shut Down

Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Those restrictions also don't generally apply to all passengers. Residents appear to be exempt.
Nothing I find in the executive order exempts Texas residents. Flight crews, as they're not engaging in "personal travel" would be.

Advisories may impede the crews' availability. One EO specifies that flight crews "travel as a group in transportation provided by the FBO, minimize contact with ground crew, avoid sick people, self-isolate in their hotel room for the duration of their stay, monitor their health, avoid public spaces, use in-room dining, not accept visitors unless for medical emergencies, comply with social distancing, follow hotel rules, and do not use public transportation."
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
It's the same question right now. This is the WN forum, so we're primarily talking about domestic flights. To my knowledge, except for a few scenarios like NY/NJ to FL, the government has not prohibited domestic flights. If WN chooses to cancel a flight that they are otherwise legally and operationally allowed to fly, then they are indeed "at fault" for that decision and must, in accordance with the DOT rules, offer a cash refund.
And the fact that governments around the country ordered customers to stay at home, let me guess, is not relevant?

Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
If an airline unilaterally changes their refund policy after you have purchased the ticket, and cancels your flight, would a charge back via the credit card company be a resolution?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:35 pm

It appears that Southwest has reconsidered, and is now adhering to their published policies. If you cancel a flight, you receive travel funds, but with the extended expiration date of June 30, 2021. If they cancel, for any reason, you will be offered travel funds with the extended expiration, but you may request a refund, and reports are that these are now being given.

EarlyBird Check-In remains non-refundable if you cancel, but will be refunded when Southwest cancels.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by TBD
Social distancing or not ... the uncertainty in airfares is another reason travelers shouldn't let airlines off the hook. If I'm on a budget and found a $100 fare to see my aunt, there's nothing to guarantee I'll see that same fare ever again. Why should the traveler have to shell out additional money on top of the credit with no recourse to get what (s)he originally purchased? That's not right, either.

This is one of the best arguments I have seen.

Buy a fare today for $100. Gets cancelled. Rebook fare a month later, but now it will cost $200. Tough luck.

PUSH for a refund.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:21 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
For anyone looking in in the future - the US DOT today confirmed that airlines must refund cancelled flights, including optional fees, even if the cancellation was "outside the carrier's control".
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:43 pm

DOT Warning

Airlines that have been denying refunds must:

1) Contact, in a timely manner, passengers provided vouchers for flights that the carrier canceled or significantly delayed to notify those passengers that they have the option of a refund.

2) Update their refund policies and contract of carriage provisions to "make it clear that it provides refunds to passengers if the carrier cancels a flight or makes a significant schedule change.''

3) Review the refund requirements with airline employees, including reservationists, ticket counter agents, refund personnel and other customer service professionals.

The Aviation Enforcement Office will monitor airlines’ refund policies and practices and take enforcement action as necessary."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.