Inability to book Hawaii flights

Old Mar 23, 20, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Inability to book Hawaii flights

I tired to book an inter-island flight (KOA-LIH) for Oct. 11 and SW website shows there are no flights. I was checking for my friend as I had booked the flight for myself a few days earlier when SW opened up their inventory for that date. Anyone know what is going on? I wouldn't think the current situation would affect that far out and I have not been notified that the flight has been canceled.
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:09 pm

Did you go thru HNL? The map at this site doesn't show a direct: https://www.southwest.com/hawaii/
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:10 pm

Hawaiian Airlines suspended flights after March 25 to/from Hawaii. Highly doubtful WN will maintain its sked.

The governor is requiring all arriving residents and visitors to quarantine.

My thinking it's not a good time to book travel.
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Did you go thru HNL? The map at this site doesn't show a direct: https://www.southwest.com/hawaii/
Yes
Old Mar 23, 20, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post

My thinking it's not a good time to book travel.
As long as WN lets you cancel free, this strikes me as the PERFECT time to buy.
Old Mar 23, 20, 3:40 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If flying from the mainland - be aware of the new "quarantine" rules they have announced.
Old Mar 23, 20, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
If flying from the mainland - be aware of the new "quarantine" rules they have announced.
Call me optimistic, but I donít think the quarantine will still be going on in October. If it is, the entire economy of Hawaii will have collapsed.
Old Mar 23, 20, 3:54 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
As long as WN lets you cancel free, this strikes me as the PERFECT time to buy.
As long as you use any form of WN funny money to buy.

Don't put cold hard cash or CC funds into any airline. In particular, WN is going to continue to have a hard time long after Coronavirus is over with no next-generation aircraft from bailout-seeking Boeing. And "do you feel lucky?" as far as layoff potential?
Old Mar 23, 20, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
After saying that it would likely cancel 1,000 flights, the first wave is now approximately 1,200. I would expect a lot more. I would not expect WN to restore its schedule until there is a better picture of where things stand. This is particularly true for Hawaii, which is a leisure destination for WN.
Old Mar 23, 20, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

After doing more digging the flight was made up of two legs, KOA-HNL-LIH, each leg appears to still be bookable separately, but I cannot book it through now. I've seen this issue with other flights, but it usually occurred with multiple legs over long distances or long times.
Old Mar 23, 20, 5:28 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ELWmusic1 View Post
Call me optimistic, but I donít think the quarantine will still be going on in October. If it is, the entire economy of Hawaii will have collapsed.
Sorry... missed the October part.
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmw View Post
This is why God invented WN points.

And Chase URs.
joshua362 and ursine1 like this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:32 pm
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ELWmusic1 View Post
After doing more digging the flight was made up of two legs, KOA-HNL-LIH, each leg appears to still be bookable separately, but I cannot book it through now. I've seen this issue with other flights, but it usually occurred with multiple legs over long distances or long times.
Strange. And the layover is under 4 hours? I guess it's possible that while they have these both as individual one way flights, that no one entered the routing as a possible one way trip? (Based on a guess on how the system works, I have no first hand knowledge!)

Regarding the time of booking situation, I'd agree that if you have travel funds, go ahead and make speculative bookings, but be careful if you're paying out of pocket. (Given that all of my work and leisure trips over the next few months have been cancelled, I've got a bunch of TTFs to play around with now, for better or worse.)
Old Mar 23, 20, 8:49 pm
was cslovacek

Originally Posted by jmw View Post

Don't put cold hard cash or CC funds into any airline. In particular, WN is going to continue to have a hard time long after Coronavirus is over with no next-generation aircraft from bailout-seeking Boeing. And "do you feel lucky?" as far as layoff potential?
Southwest is in the best position of any domestic airline. Theyíve got a lot of money and are very disciplined.

WN is the airline you should feel most comfortable giving cash to.

Iím not sure what your statement regarding no new next-generation aircraft is about. It simply doesnít have any bearing on this.
Old Mar 23, 20, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
Southwest is in the best position of any domestic airline. Theyíve got a lot of money and are very disciplined.
While I agree with your statement, GK may be muscled out of Mnuchin's cash extravaganza by the "legacies."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: