Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:05 am

I had one flight cancelled messaged Southwest on twitter I wanted a refund and got a reply that the refund was processed - took about 30 minutes.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
Ridiculous, Just got a dozen cancellation emails for paid flights.. Zero option of DOT required refund. No mention to Southwest CoC which guaranteed refund if carrier cancels for any reason.

We want to make you aware that your upcoming flight (Confirmation AAAAAA) has been affected by changes we made to our schedule. As a result, we were unable to rebook you on a similar flight within three days of your original departure date. Therefore, your payment has been turned into reusable travel funds. We’re sorry your plans were impacted by our changes.

If you're ready to rebook, we encourage you and any of the original Passengers on the reservation to visit Southwest.com to rebook your travel using your travel funds. If your new itinerary costs more than the funds you have available from your previous reservation, we're happy to cover the price difference as long as:

Your new trip occurs within 60 days of your original travel.
Your origin and destination airports are the same (i.e., the same trip).

If you would like to pursue this option after you've confirmed online that your new itinerary costs more than the original, call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).
If you're unsure about your future travel plans
If you’d like to wait to rebook, rest assured the funds used to pay for this trip will be available to the Customer(s) named on the ticket(s) to use and fly by June 30, 2021.

Once you're ready to use your funds, simply use AAAAAA to access these funds in the future (similar to "store credit" at most retail establishments*).

Today and every day, we're committed to reconnecting you to the people and places you love. We're in this together and thank you for your patience as we navigate through these changing times.

Stay Heart Strong,
Your friends at Southwest Airlines
Southwest has apparently accepted the risk of flouting DOT guidelines and decided that not telling passengers they can receive a refund will be cheaper in the long run than just paying DOT fines.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Beetlesauce

I made a RR points booking which was canceled outright by SW and was given the option of 60 day rebook with no risk of upfare. Difference was that I had paid the taxes with travel funds. They credited the points back to my account.

A question I'm wondering is if I paid for a trip using travel funds, am I also able to get a credit card refund when SW cancels outright? Happened on a flight I booked. I didn't really complain about it because the TF was due to expire in July 2020 and SW has extended expiration date till June 2021.
Refunds are processed back to the original form of payment, so a booking made with travel funds is refunded as travel funds (with the extended expiration if cancelled before June 30, 2020).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.