Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Southwest cancelling 1,000 daily flights starting Sunday March 22

Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Often1
This is also a good time to sit down and carefully review all travel-related insurance you have. Read the policies word-for-word and make sure they cover what you have always thought they did.
LOL

I am sure a $75 one-way car rental will be good enough.😉
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
just announced it will be 1500 daily flights cancelled:

Southwest Airlines plans to cancel 1,500 daily flights beginning Friday as the airline and its competitors take increasingly dramatic steps to offset historic declines in travel demand from the coronavirus crisis.

The increased flight cuts, up from a planned 1,000 daily flight cancellations announced just days ago and put in place Sunday, were disclosed in a memo to employees Monday. A copy of the memo was obtained by USA TODAY.

They come a day after Southwest CEO Gary Kelly told employees in a videotaped message that the airline is in the "fight of our lives'' to protect the company and its operations.

"The pandemic and the government response have sunk passenger levels and future bookings to unimaginable lows across the industry,'' he said.

Southwest, the nation's largest domestic carrier, has about 4,000 daily flights, so the latest cuts represent a nearly 40% reduction.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/southwest...002441498.html
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:18 pm

So how will I know if my May 8 and 10 flights have been cancelled (inter-island, Hawai'i, which has now banned all leisure travel). I'd thought it was a better move to wait until the flight was cancelled so I'd get a refund rather than credits (which I will already have oodles of with the coronavirus issue..)--but perhaps that is faulty logic? Do I just keep checking on MyTrips or will I receive email/text to the contact number--and how far in advance of the trip might that be realistically?

Last edited by Ukalady; Mar 23, 2020 at 10:06 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:27 pm

This is also a good time to sit down and carefully review all travel-related insurance you have. Read the policies word-for-word and make sure they cover what you have always thought they did.
Please just stop. Would have thought that during this crisis you would have had the decency to pause your endless shilling for insurance, but apparently you’re tone-deaf also. Your posts really don’t reflect well on you.
geckoflyer and pgh234 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Please just stop. Would have thought that during this crisis you would have had the decency to pause your endless shilling for insurance, but apparently youre tone-deaf also. Your posts really dont reflect well on you.

+1.. Also, just because you have travel insurance, and think it will cover it, the insurance agency will try its hardest to deny the claim. So it is not the be-all end-all.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
+1.. Also, just because you have travel insurance, and think it will cover it, the insurance agency will try its hardest to deny the claim.
IMHO this is the best reason to self-insure whenever you can afford to absorb a loss. Insurance costs double the expected value of your expense and then you have to work hard to collect.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
Originally Posted by Ukalady
So how will I know if my May 8 and 10 flights have been cancelled (inter-island, Hawai'i, which has now banned all leisure travel). I'd thought it was a better move to wait until the flight was cancelled so I'd get a refund rather than credits (which I will already have oodles of with the coronavirus issue..)--but perhaps that is faulty logic? Do I just keep checking on MyTrips or will I receive email/text to the contact number--and how far in advance of the trip might that be realistically?
Nobody has any idea how this will play out. I have multiple flights before and after yours. I'm assuming I won't take them and just waiting for them to be cancelled. If not, I'll cancel the day before. No need to repeatedly check. BTW, I just received a call for a cancelled trip three days before departure.
Ukalady likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by nsx
IMHO this is the best reason to self-insure whenever you can afford to absorb a loss. Insurance costs double the expected value of your expense and then you have to work hard to collect.
Self insurance is your best bet.

After all, insurance companies ALWAYS come out ahead. That is why they sell it. LOL!
smmrfld likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Still cancelling future domestic flights. Had 18 +/- cancellations a week or so ago...just got hit with 2 more for flights about a month out.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by nsx
I am in complete agreement unlike Often1.
smmrfld, pgh234 and steved5480 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Self insurance is your best bet.

After all, insurance companies ALWAYS come out ahead. That is why they sell it. LOL!
If you're only considering air fare remember that cancellations are usually only 1-2% of flights. and you can often be re-accommodated with a few hours delay, occasionally over night. If you are careful and plan ahead the savings you accrue over the the time between cancellations is significantly more than an ocassional walk up fare. Of course some places have higher cancellation rates that others, I'm thinking place with frequent poor weather conditions. I fly mostly in the Southern parts of the US and seldom run into those conditions.

I wonder how often people actually use their travel insurance. If I were taking a a long expensive trip with lots of hotels and travel arrangement I might consider insurance for that.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
If you're only considering air fare remember that cancellations are usually only 1-2% of flights. and you can often be re-accommodated with a few hours delay, occasionally over night. If you are careful and plan ahead the savings you accrue over the the time between cancellations is significantly more than an ocassional walk up fare. Of course some places have higher cancellation rates that others, I'm thinking place with frequent poor weather conditions. I fly mostly in the Southern parts of the US and seldom run into those conditions.

I wonder how often people actually use their travel insurance. If I were taking a a long expensive trip with lots of hotels and travel arrangement I might consider insurance for that.
Ive used it twice for a medical claim while traveling and also for lost luggage. But never hotel/flight reimbursement.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:32 am

Got 12 of these e-mails overnight, trying to get pax to cancel and take travel funds instead of Southwest cancelling the flights and paying refunds:

We are proactively notifying you that your upcoming trip to, from, or connecting through San Jose, Costa Rica on May 17, 2020 will be affected by upcoming reductions we are making to our flight schedule.

We encourage you to rebook your trip for travel on or after June 6, 2020 and within 60 days of your original travel date by visiting Southwest.com/rebook*. Doing this online is your best option and will be available until Monday, March 30 at 5 p.m. CST.

You can change your travel to a date 60 days from the original date of travel without paying any difference in fare if you are traveling between the same origin and destination. Look for flights that display as "Available." Flights that show a price point are not eligible for a change without paying a fare difference. We recommend doing this online as call volumes are likely to be very high, so wait times to reach a Southwest Representative may be long.

If you do not modify your travel by Monday, March 30 at 5 p.m. CST, a Southwest Representative will reach out to you in the coming weeks to discuss how you would like to handle your reservation. If you are unsure of your travel plans, you can also cancel your flight by visiting Southwest.com/rebook* and retain those funds for future travel. The funds used to pay for a nonrefundable ticket are normally valid for one year from the date of purchase. However, in recognition of the current travel environment, we are extending the expiration date of some travel funds:

Customers' funds that have expired or will expire between March 1-May 31, 2020, will now expire June 30, 2021.

Any travel funds created because of a flight cancellation between March 1-May 31, 2020, will have an expiration date of June 30, 2021.

It will take our Technology Teams a few weeks to make these changes. Once you're ready to use these funds, simply use XXXXXX as the way to access these funds in the futuresimilar to "store credit" at most retail establishments.*

Please know we are dedicated to giving Southwest Customers our full support and heartfelt Hospitality as we respond to this disruption. Thank you for your patience during this unprecedented time.

Sincerely

Your friends at Southwest Airlines
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Can not blame WN for trying to get folks to rebook.

Smart way to go.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Yeah. I have a trip at the end of May and am waiting it out. Already have travel funds from two other trips canceled so dont want more if I can help it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.