FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Southwest drink/snack service suspended effective 3/18 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2013390-southwest-drink-snack-service-suspended-effective-3-18-a.html)

expert7700 Mar 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Southwest drink/snack service suspended effective 3/18

While we were on approach, our cheery FA's mood turned somber as she read a new memo aloud to the other FA.

​Effective 3/18, WN FAs are not permitted to make/serve drinks. She said something about snack basket cut but as I was in row3 I didn't hear it as clearly.

​​​​It seemed they can still give out an unopened can of water and snack upon request.

buckeyefanflyer Mar 17, 2020 5:31 pm

What is the reason for this. If this is because of the virus just stop all flying.

kennycrudup Mar 17, 2020 6:11 pm

I usually only get the sparkling wine (can't call that stuff "Champagne"). Do you know if they're allowed to give me the bottle and a cup tomorrow?

ursine1 Mar 17, 2020 6:27 pm

Details: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...drink-service/

expert7700 Mar 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 32199699)
I usually only get the sparkling wine (can't call that stuff "Champagne"). Do you know if they're allowed to give me the bottle and a cup tomorrow?

per the article @ursine1 posted above: no bottle or cup.
​​​​....unless you can turn an unopened can of water into wine you're out of luck.

"Southwest Airlines will stop offering food and beverage on short flights and offer only unopened snacks and water cans on other routes (over 250 miles), the airline said Tuesday as flight attendants expressed concerns about the spread of the coronavirus."
​​​​​

kennycrudup Mar 17, 2020 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 32199778)
​​​​... unless you can turn an unopened can of water into wine you're out of luck.​​​​​

... so you're telling me I've gotta fly for two hours in middle of a weekday with NO drink?! :)

#1WP

expert7700 Mar 17, 2020 9:20 pm

On our 1hr30m connecting flight FA the new crew already implemented this. pretzels and water cans but no ice, cups, lids, or straws.

Perhaps WN should follow Herb's footsteps and pass out sealed Wild Turkey 101 instead.

kennycrudup Mar 17, 2020 9:59 pm

OTR, though- I wonder if, considering how even sealed drinks (Cokes, etc.) aren't being served, this is a cost-cutting measure disguised as a "health initiative"?

nsx Mar 17, 2020 10:15 pm

Let's give the FA's a break. They are taking a big risk just flying all day with probably at least a few infected passengers. That's courage and dedication. It deserves our respect.

smmrfld Mar 17, 2020 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 32200327)
OTR, though- I wonder if, considering how even sealed drinks (Cokes, etc.) aren't being served, this is a cost-cutting measure disguised as a "health initiative"?

Your continued belittling of this crisis and creation of conspiracy theories such as this are becoming quite tiresome IMO.

ursine1 Mar 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer (Post 32199586)
What is the reason for this. If this is because of the virus just stop all flying.

Wait for it...

NoStressHere Mar 18, 2020 6:10 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 32200365)
Let's give the FA's a break. They are taking a big risk just flying all day with probably at least a few infected passengers. That's courage and dedication. It deserves our respect.

THIS

Give em a break folks.

( I usually have at least two drinks on a flight and more if longer)

msglsmo Mar 18, 2020 7:16 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld (Post 32200379)
Your continued belittling of this crisis and creation of conspiracy theories such as this are becoming quite tiresome IMO.

There is a reason why "never waste a good crisis" is a saying in business. While I believe most companies are doing everything they can to protect their employees, they are also implementing cost savings as well due to the downturn in business. It isn't far fetched to think these cost savings will continue well after.

Personally, I think a lot of companies will cut back on travel and utilize Skype, MS Teams, Zoom, etc. after seeing it work for shorter meetings during this time of crisis.

Boghopper Mar 18, 2020 10:09 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 32199570)
While we were on approach, our cheery FA's mood turned somber as she read a new memo aloud to the other FA.

​Effective 3/18, WN FAs are not permitted to make/serve drinks. She said something about snack basket cut but as I was in row3 I didn't hear it as clearly.

​​​​It seemed they can still give out an unopened can of water and snack upon request.

on my evening bur-oak on 3/16 the fas had already implemented this. I have a hunch the fas just started doing it and swa made it official retroactively.

rsteinmetz70112 Mar 18, 2020 10:50 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 32199778)
per the article @ursine1 posted above: no bottle or cup.
​​​​....unless you can turn an unopened can of water into wine you're out of luck.

"Southwest Airlines will stop offering food and beverage on short flights and offer only unopened snacks and water cans on other routes (over 250 miles), the airline said Tuesday as flight attendants expressed concerns about the spread of the coronavirus."
​​​​​

The wine comes in individual bottles, as does the beer and the soft drinks. I can drink beer or soft drinks out of a can, I do it all the time.