Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest drink/snack service suspended effective 3/18

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest drink/snack service suspended effective 3/18

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I see more people just bringing a "coffee" from airport bars onboard.

Yea... before the alarmists come here and talk about how dangerous it is to have drink cups on the plane... that is true as all the crashes in the past year have shown.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by expert7700
per the article @ursine1
​​​​....unless you can turn an unopened can of water into wine you're out of luck.
​​​​​
I'm much better at turning wine into water than vice versa. Now I have figured out how to turn water into beer...but in all seriousness think that this is just as much for passenger safety than anything else. After all FAs are really doing us all a service by continuing to work in a potential super-contaminated environment.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:19 pm

Programs: SWA - A-list, AA Gold, Hilton Gold
And just what shows up in the mail today..... 4 drink coupons. Oh, the humanity.....
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:23 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by msglsmo
It isn't far fetched to think these cost savings will continue well after.
Kind of like...when did pillows and blankets return?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by kjwalker01
And just what shows up in the mail today..... 4 drink coupons. Oh, the humanity.....
I have a few expiring in April. I wonder if SW will accept expired coupons when they serve drinks again.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I heard this applies to all flights. Why not pass out drinks snacks as you board to carry on.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:42 pm

Just a quick heads-up, beginning tomorrow, March 25, ALL beverage and snack service will be temporarily discontinued.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I heard this applies to all flights. Why not pass out drinks snacks as you board to carry on.
The reason is to reduce contact between crew and passengers. They would still be handing them out. They would still have to collect trash.

And, if you travel much and watch how difficult is for people to juggle their "stuff" and sit down... well, imagine if they ALL had a drink and snack in their hand?

In any event, we getting close to a shutdown anyways. Probably not total, but close.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by greenbags125
I have a few expiring in April. I wonder if SW will accept expired coupons when they serve drinks again.
Probably. Most of the time when I try to use a drink coupon they just tell me to keep it.

Anyone flown recently? I'm curious how they're handling boarding with social distancing?
We've got flights booked for July and if they happen I'm curious if they've been keeping every other row empty or something like that?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by pmiranda
Probably. Most of the time when I try to use a drink coupon they just tell me to keep it.

Anyone flown recently? I'm curious how they're handling boarding with social distancing?
We've got flights booked for July and if they happen I'm curious if they've been keeping every other row empty or something like that?
Keeping every other row empty is a sure fire way to continue burning $millions per day.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on many reports.. they have so many empty seats, distancing is easy.

BUT - I wonder how they do boarding? Guessing the vast majority of folks have a-30 or less.... are they really standing next to each other?
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Based on many reports.. they have so many empty seats, distancing is easy.

BUT - I wonder how they do boarding? Guessing the vast majority of folks have a-30 or less.... are they really standing next to each other?
I last flew 2 weeks ago. I just waited for everyone to scan and stepped up afterwards. The back of the plane was still empty. It's easy to hold your breath until you get back there.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
They're mentioning before and during boarding, but people are spreading out; no need to sit on top of one another when there's more rows than pax
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The pandemic might make me enjoy the return of non-empty middle seats. It might...

Nahhh. Empty middles will still rock.
steved5480 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.