Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight booked for mid-April, purchased mid-February, that I just went to look at potentially rebooking. Instead of offering credit (or cost, depending), Southwest is offering me a free change to any flight on any date between the same city pair (BOS/MHT/PVD to MCI) through the 14th of June.

Aside from the annoyance that it makes it harder to recapture credit (since prices have generally gone down!), I'm surprised I can't find a writeup of what's going on anywhere on southwest.com or what the waiver rules are. Anybody know more? (Am I having a spectacular reading comprehension failure?)

Last edited by glitchy; Mar 17, 2020 at 12:46 pm Reason: more detail
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:09 pm

So on mobile, when I select the more expensive flight, it shows New Price being more than Original Trip total but says amount owed $0, but if I click continue, it does actually want to charge me the difference - do you go all the way through?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I am pretty sure I went through to the final confirmation page with it showing no money due, and it doesn't even show me any prices when choosing flights, it just says "Available". That said I didn't finalize because at this point I'm not looking to rebook (I've got plenty of credit right now!) and wouldn't mind an outright refund if the flights get axed.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
I would cancel and rebook if you think you're going to fly, anything booked in Mid Feb for future current travel is much lower in cost across the board, in most instances.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ThisDJ
I would cancel and rebook if you think you're going to fly, anything booked in Mid Feb for future current travel is much lower in cost across the board, in most instances.
Yes... that should be the case in the vast majority of cases.

Of course, if they just shut down...then who knows.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
My reservations up to and including April 30 show the red bar for free changes. The change message does not include the traditional 14-day limit.

Edited to add: It appears that the website is allowing a move up to 2 months later than originally booked.

Edit 2: The website did not object when I chose a travel date beyond my funds expiration date, although I have not completed such a change to fully test it.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 17, 2020 at 6:43 pm
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:29 pm

For a flight with a companion pass holder you still have to cancel and rebook, right? And the money for the companion's early bird is lost?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just changed some mid April flights to later dates. It appears I can change flights up to 60 days into the future at no charge - shows as available similar to how you book MAX8 schedule type flight changes.

One of the changes I did actually gave me another 380 points back, even though it was pretty cheap to start with.

As said, check the price to book a flight with a change first.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:17 pm

Going thru at least May 25th for free changes now.
benfro6 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by Marcus Harper
Going thru at least May 25th for free changes now.
I rebooked a free change to 6/13-6/21. Seems to be related to the date of the flight. I leapfrogged by making one change to late April and then to late June.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Southwest never charged for changing flights only paid fare difference.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Southwest never charged for changing flights only paid fare difference.
True.

BUT - in these situations, even if the new flight is more expensive - there is no charge.
Critterlynn likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:31 am

seems dead
Old Mar 19, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
seems dead
This is NOT dead. I just went and was able to change a late May flight to late July. No upcharge.

check out this page - the 60 day rules is public > https://www.southwest.com/Coronaviru...CORONAVIRUS_TA
aquanine likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Anybody think this will be extended? I have flights next weekend that I would like to bump to July, but that's beyond 60 days...

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
This is NOT dead. I just went and was able to change a late May flight to late July. No upcharge.

check out this page - the 60 day rules is public > https://www.southwest.com/Coronaviru...CORONAVIRUS_TA
That's interesting because the web page still says this policy applies through April 30. Are you sure the new flights had higher fares when you made the change?

If this works I suppose I could bump my April flights to June, and the June flights to July...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.