Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Now Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days (was 30)

[Now Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days (was 30)

Old Mar 2, 22, 3:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I found this video where this woman claims she found a way to change the tickets to an expensive date without paying the fare difference
She didn't explain that but others have shouted it loud and long. Which is why it doesn't work anymore unless Southwest changed your specific flight. Pre-targeting it was extraordinarily easy to make such moves when the change window was open.

Now the strategy is to book the cheapest flight that you are willing to fly, then hope for a schedule change to let you change it to a better date and time. Also watch for decreases in the fare, which are still common.
Old Mar 3, 22, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I understand

I found this video where this woman claims she found a way to change the tickets to an expensive date without paying the fare difference

So she is booking for the lowest miles at an undesired date and then changes the flight to the desired date with more miles. But she is not paying the fare difference

She is also charging $1,000 per family to do this. I can tell this is a hack but what is surprising is that it is not illegal.

See the video below at 18th minute and on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivoWaDVuT0&t=5s
I didn't watch the video, but I'm assuming she's referring to the period where Southwest would open their schedule within a range of days to unlimited free changes for up to 30 days before or after. It was not published and seemed to be more of an IT shortcoming on Southwest's side that anyone could use to his advantage. People here figured out what dates were open, and you could book the cheapest flight in that range and switch to any other flight in that range. I used it to fly to a funeral which I couldn't otherwise afford to attend. That loophole was closed last summer, and now you can only get a free change within 14 days if your specific flight gets changed. Some people have made speculative bookings a couple months in advance hoping they will get changed and they can switch for free, but that's very hit-and-miss.
Old Mar 3, 22, 10:49 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
It rarely happens now as WN has their systems closer to stable.
I wouldn't go that far.
pgh234 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 22, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
It rarely happens now as WN has their systems closer to stable.
Got one this morning for early June.
Old Mar 3, 22, 11:14 am

Got 2 this morning, 5/10 & 5/11
Old Mar 5, 22, 9:42 am

Here is my recent experience from a flight that Southwest changed. Original itinerary 4/23 LGB-MDW-BDL departing 3:20pm arriving 12:50am. Southwest changed it to 4/24 LGB-MDW-BDL departing 11:55am arriving 10:55pm. Was able to change back to 4/23 LGB-LGA departing 12:05pm arriving 9:45pm. Had to do this by phone and no increase in fare. Agent made an exception and was able to change city pair for free. YMMV but if there is a major change to your itinerary, it's worth a phone call to see what they can do for you.
Old Mar 6, 22, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MrBill64 View Post
Here is my recent experience from a flight that Southwest changed. Original itinerary 4/23 LGB-MDW-BDL departing 3:20pm arriving 12:50am. Southwest changed it to 4/24 LGB-MDW-BDL departing 11:55am arriving 10:55pm. Was able to change back to 4/23 LGB-LGA departing 12:05pm arriving 9:45pm. Had to do this by phone and no increase in fare. Agent made an exception and was able to change city pair for free. YMMV but if there is a major change to your itinerary, it's worth a phone call to see what they can do for you.
I agree; had a similar experience with a flight from STL to South Florida (PBI or FLL) where I was automatically rebooked on an itinerary ridiculously different (and longer) than what I had originally booked. Calling in to reservations gave me more options for co-terminals (including MIA) than what I would have had by trying to rebook online.
Old Apr 5, 22, 6:52 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Early June is changing now, unless my notification is an isolated case.
Old Apr 5, 22, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
a 6/9 flight of mine was changed today also
Old Apr 5, 22, 7:08 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
My June 6-9 BUR/AUS RT changed, much better times than what I booked, but not a good sign that frequency is now down to 1x/daily
Old Apr 6, 22, 8:21 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
My LAS trip 6/5 - 6/8 also changed . . .free change let me get flight times I liked better without spending more points
Old Apr 6, 22, 8:24 am

My LAS trip 6/5 - 6/8 also changed . . .free change let me get flight times I liked better without spending more points
Old Apr 6, 22, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by SWAVictor View Post
hey Victor, don't u fly for free as u work there?
Old Apr 6, 22, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston View Post
hey Victor, don't u fly for free as u work there?
I could nonrev, but after 30 years of "hoping" there is an empty seat, I prefer to use my points, especially on a trip where I have a hotel, and theater tickets purchased.
Either way, its technically free - but with points I have a confirmed seat!

side note: I got this roundtrip for 19,566 points - so it was kind of a no-brainer, I may even spring for Early Bird
Tanic, jjbiv, jmw and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 6, 22, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by SWAVictor View Post
I could nonrev, but after 30 years of "hoping" there is an empty seat, I prefer to use my points, especially on a trip where I have a hotel, and theater tickets purchased.
Either way, its technically free - but with points I have a confirmed seat!

side note: I got this roundtrip for 19,566 points - so it was kind of a no-brainer, I may even spring for Early Bird
*Technically* it's at least $5.60 each way
SWAVictor likes this.

Search this Thread