Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:52 am

It's not dead. It's just totally dependent on route this time. Tons of changes available on flights this week from the Gulf Coast of Florida (TPA, RSW, SRQ) to STL.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 11:58 am

I was on Thursday able to change some DEN-LAS and DEN-GEG so just a data point. I haven't changed more recently than that.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
It's not dead. It's just totally dependent on route this time. Tons of changes available on flights this week from the Gulf Coast of Florida (TPA, RSW, SRQ) to STL.

My gulf coast flights have changes but it's not the same type of change that this thread is about.

The changes this week out of places like TPA are weather related as noted by the red travel advisory banner.............this type of change happens all the time including pre max 8 grounding and covid.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 12:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
My apologies for not reading all of this. Does the change waiver remain applied to the reservation after departure? Ie- can I later use it to change the return?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
My apologies for not reading all of this. Does the change waiver remain applied to the reservation after departure? Ie- can I later use it to change the return?
We have no reports on that. Free changes are normally a month or more in the future, so the free change window would be closed before you fly the outbound portion.

Someone may test it this week. I see the red bars for my intra-CA trips over the next 10 days. I can't recall free changes running so close to the current date. Something odd must be happening this week, but I know of no current SODA.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 8:23 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It appeared on my trip starting tomorrow, I’ll keep an eye on it and update the thread later.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
I see the red bars for my intra-CA trips over the next 10 days. I can't recall free changes running so close to the current date. Something odd must be happening this week, but I know of no current SODA.
Same here, red bar popped up last night on next weekend's MDW-STL.

I'm thinking the change may be to temporarily remove from the schedule the 30 MAX aircraft WN had to ground again.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:58 am

I got several red bars as well for Friday's ORD-DAL and Saturday's DAL-ORD as well as an ORD-TPA and SRQ-MDW for 4/24 and 4/27.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by rlschur
I got several red bars as well for Friday's ORD-DAL and Saturday's DAL-ORD as well as an ORD-TPA and SRQ-MDW for 4/24 and 4/27.
dumb Q, where do folks see red bars? on the booked flights in My Acct?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by danhouston
dumb Q, where do folks see red bars?
In the mobile app, when you select from your list of future trips.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
In the mobile app, when you select from your list of future trips.
guess that laptop doesn't show? has to be in mobile app?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by danhouston
guess that laptop doesn't show? has to be in mobile app?
In a browser you would have to click "Change" or "Change Flight" and see if you get this message that you can change the flight for free:
italdesign likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by ulmguy
In a browser you would have to click "Change" or "Change Flight" and see if you get this message that you can change the flight for free:
thx, familiar with that as I've mostly logged in from a browser for better viewing; so as folks mentioned red bars, it's only displayed in mobile app

Last edited by danhouston; Apr 15, 2021 at 12:30 am
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:28 am

A different red banner is appearing in the app, when viewing a reservation for this weekend to FL's gulf coast. This is different than the typical red change banner. It can't be selected to make any flight changes; it's just the notice, with no further info. There are no weather issues, and the aircraft always has been scheduled with the 800, not the MAX. The flight is still bookable and not near capacity. This banner appears only when in the app. Any ideas? The message first appeared yesterday - three days prior to departure date.

Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by mke9499
A different red banner is appearing in the app, when viewing a reservation for this weekend to FL's gulf coast. This is different than the typical red change banner; it can't be selected to make any flight changes; it's just the notice, with no further info. There are no weather issues, and the aircraft always has been scheduled with the 800, not the MAX. The flight is still bookable and not near capacity. This banner appears only when in the app. Any ideas? The message first appeared yesterday - three days prior to departure date.

I've seen the travel advisory red bar several times, and it doesn't do anything for me either. One of the flights that consistently shows it was changed awhile ago by Southwest to something ridiculous with several stops, but it won't let me change it online - says I have to call in. The others I see it on now are on reservations with the companion already added, so I'd have to remove them first - I thought it was a slightly broken implementation, that yields the useless red bar when the trip cannot currently be changed without you doing something else first.

Does that match up with what you're seeing?

Edit: just removed the companion from the return flight that is showing the travel advisory, and as soon as it was off, it showed the real change bar. Put the companion back on, back to travel advisory. I think it's an indication (with no link to explain it) that the flight is eligible for changes but requires intervention.
mke9499 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.