Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:26 pm
Original Member

Yes, flights are before that date. Free change looks the same until you price, then it wants to charge the difference, even though changes are said to be free.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by sggolf
Yes, flights are before that date. Free change looks the same until you price, then it wants to charge the difference, even though changes are said to be free.
Originally Posted by nsx
Unless the software changed, the free changes stop when your trip date moves outside the active change window. Is your trip date later than September 12?

All changes on WN are free, when you change any WN flight you pay or get a refund depending on the price of your new flight, the difference here is that when you change they aren't charging the increased price

It's a limited window, not all flights before September 12 are included as it also has a start date for the window. I was able to change my 9/5 - 9/8 flights.

Even if your flight falls in the window I believe the most you can move a flight is +/- 14 days.

Also keep it minds this deal doesn't last long so it could have ended.

Last edited by flyer4512; Jun 22, 2020 at 5:47 pm
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Also keep it minds this deal doesn't last long so it could have ended.
You are correct, gone for now. But banking on free changes to come back any time in the next few dates, as it has been the trend for the last 4 months. I already have everything booked up to January 3, but have only been able to change and pick the perfect long weekends and dates up until Labor Day.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hmmm gone from all mine now, including the one I booked last night, which was offering free changes right after booking.

Odd the way this keeps coming and going. I wonder if they're trying to fix the IT to prevent booking wanna get away and changing to more expensive flight.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 8:59 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Could have something to do with the need to reprogram to ensure that capacity of otherwise available flights is reined-in to allow "distancing" as discussed in this nearby active thread:
Southwest changed my flight due to social distancing
Old Jun 23, 2020, 9:44 am

Looks dead to me now.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 12:15 pm

Typically comes back on Thursdays or Fridays.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
You are correct, gone for now. But banking on free changes to come back any time in the next few dates, as it has been the trend for the last 4 months. I already have everything booked up to January 3, but have only been able to change and pick the perfect long weekends and dates up until Labor Day.

The free changes have been going on for over 4 months, this started when the MAX8 was taken OOS.

The next flight I'm hoping to change is for the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 5:27 pm

I believe there was a reason the original thread on this topic was removed?
Seems counterproductive to bring this back to exploit the ability to change - no?
Rather than keeping this as a "perk" for those who closely monitor their reservations, it is resulting in higher Wanna Get Away fares during the change periods to deter this from happening.
Old Jun 23, 2020, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by HighFlyinChar
I believe there was a reason the original thread on this topic was removed?
Seems counterproductive to bring this back to exploit the ability to change - no?
Rather than keeping this as a "perk" for those who closely monitor their reservations, it is resulting in higher Wanna Get Away fares during the change periods to deter this from happening.
The original thread was removed after the bloggers started advertising the free changes, this trick is all over the net now.

https://www.dansdeals.com/airfare-de...%20difference.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/south...hts-for-march/

I'm not seeing higher prices, I just booked MSP/Vegas Labor day weekend for abut 5600 points R/T. TPA in October for 9k add in CP and the price is 1/2.

Boeing is paying WN while the Max 8 is grounded

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...t-with-workers

Boeing has taken a $5.6 billion pretax charge to compensate customers of the narrow-body jet.
Old Jun 24, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
FWIW, on Wednesday I looked at 3 flights in the July-August time frame; only one had "no-additional-fare" changes available.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:16 am

I was able to change my LAS flight yesterday, but am unable to today for no charge
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:15 pm

I could book and change a late august flight but it wouldn't let me change a july flight I had already changed once.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:36 am

Back again. Allowing me free changes to my July & August flights.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Not allowing me to change a flight from Monday to Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.