Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2021, 4:49 pm

m907 No I have not figured it out. I have 13 flights scheduled over July, August, Sep, Nov all over the country and none of mine are eligible for a free flight change. It must be very select routes at this point
Old Jun 16, 2021, 8:10 am

I think they only open up the re-booking window when there is a schedule change on their end, to preemptively let people rebook a flight. Especially if they know the odds are that X amount of people will eventually request a flight change because of the schedule, they just try and get ahead of that by allowing free changes
Old Jun 26, 2021, 2:58 pm

It’s back (for LGA and BOS late October at least)

Got the red banner for 27-Oct LGA-ABQ and 30-Oct BOS-ABQ, two segments that I had booked speculatively for super cheap on points during the 50% off sale. YMMV. Didn’t get the banner for 15-Nov LGA-ABQ so it’s possible only October segments are eligible at this time. My ABQ-PHX-SAN trip in October didn’t get the red banner, so maybe this one’s focused on the NE US.
Old Jun 26, 2021, 3:47 pm

I have DCA-OAK 10/28 banner as well. Nothing else
Old Jun 27, 2021, 10:48 am

Looks Like Oct 20-30 or so is the time frame. Flights I'm booking in/out of DC area airports are getting the banner, with the exception being flights to Hawaii, those are not getting a free change and I've tried booking Oct 20,25,30, Nov 7
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2021, 11:35 am

Oct 27 IAD-LGB doesn't work but DCA-OAK on Oct 28th does allow the route change. Very strange to me but seems like routes are very specific
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:10 am

Does anyone think this is ever coming back? I think we've seen the last of it.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by m907
I say that every time. I don't think it's coming back either.

Hey, it worked all the other times, worth a shot.
nsx, jmw, FindAWay and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by m907
there was a large gap between the last 2 system wide changes too. I’m still hopefully we get another round
jmw and flyer4512 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:59 pm

Future schedule changes

Southwest's schedule after 6Sep is a "placeholder" schedule. For example, the current "summer" schedule BWI-BOS has 5 nonstops Sun thru Fri and 4 on Sat. After 6Sep it jumps to 9 nonstops Sun thru Fri and 6 on Sat. I doubt WN plans to increase service almost 50% in the slower fall season. So....I think we will have a schedule change "free for all" soon.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 2:01 pm

Free changes are nice but the last few changes also messed up our flight times giving us bad departure times, connection cities and long layovers.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by transitman
Southwest's schedule after 6Sep is a "placeholder" schedule. For example, the current "summer" schedule BWI-BOS has 5 nonstops Sun thru Fri and 4 on Sat. After 6Sep it jumps to 9 nonstops Sun thru Fri and 6 on Sat. I doubt WN plans to increase service almost 50% in the slower fall season. So....I think we will have a schedule change "free for all" soon.
Shortsighted fleet strategies are no anomaly.

A mistake repeated more than once is a decision.
nsx and steved5480 like this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Free changes are nice but the last few changes also messed up our flight times giving us bad departure times, connection cities and long layovers.
And that only tells us that they are done with adjusting the high earning summer season and that might be the reason we haven't seen any red bars in the last couple of weeks. Maybe, by the end of July or beginning of August, they might start finalizing September to November schedules, and we might start getting the cancelled flights or rebooking emails (including the red bars).
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
And that only tells us that they are done with adjusting the high earning summer season and that might be the reason we haven't seen any red bars in the last couple of weeks. Maybe, by the end of July or beginning of August, they might start finalizing September to November schedules, and we might start getting the cancelled flights or rebooking emails (including the red bars).

It wasn't meant to tell us anything except there is often a negative tradeoff for getting cheaper fares via the free changes.

Delta now offers free cancellations ( trips booked with miles, not sure about $$) so I have backup trips booked, I'm not turning a 3 hour flight into 8 hours and connections to save a few points.

On my last trip my new connection was cancelled and we had to get a hotel and spend the night.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
I think they already fixed the schedule through 11/5 as I had a non-stop in late October changed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.