Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Targeted] Free changes due to rescheduling; move up to + or - 14 days, twice!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by carlitos
Looks like WN updated its system to now not allow free changes immediately after buying the ticket. I bought a ticket for a day before my other ticket that can be changed as of now, and did not immediately recognized it. So I will now wait until it runs a week and then see if it is allowed to change it. Travel is for the first week of October.
I always buy the ticket I want and then buy the lowest priced ticket within 14 days.

When free changes are available for the dates I need I change the lowest priced ticket to the day and flight I want and cancel the other ticket.

I pay in points so refunds are easy.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
I always buy the ticket I want and then buy the lowest priced ticket within 14 days
I've been essentially doing exactly that for over a year now. Served me well right up until January. Since then, I put in the same effort, over and over, and so far always just end up canceling the speculative trip. Maybe someday soon we'll get to travel for leisure again!
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by synergistic
I've been essentially doing exactly that for over a year now. Served me well right up until January. Since then, I put in the same effort, over and over, and so far always just end up canceling the speculative trip. Maybe someday soon we'll get to travel for leisure again!

Same here, we had multiple R/T's to vegas and Florida for under 5K points .........for 2 using CP.............cancelled them all

Hoping for Vegas in January
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:39 am

It's back on my flights in early October - early November. I was able to change flights between October 3 and November 3. November 4 did not work. I didn't try any dates before October 3.
flyer4512 and synergistic like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by zachary
It's back on my flights in early October - early November. I was able to change flights between October 3 and November 3. November 4 did not work. I didn't try any dates before October 3.
Thanks for letting us know about the last day for changes (Nov 03). I am not able to change my September 10 flights, but my September 13 can be changed for free.
flyer4512 and synergistic like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott and MLife Platinum, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Elite, Hyatt Explorist
SWA free changes for October back on

The free change banner is now back for my October flights.
cotomom and flyer4512 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 8:49 pm

Thanks for the updates, hopefully my November 16 flight can e changed soon.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by utgypsy
The free change banner is now back for my October flights.
I used this trick to book flights at the cheapest rate in October and then change to the flights I really wanted in November the next day, since even though most November flights aren't yet changeable October ones are for 30 days later.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
I used this trick to book flights at the cheapest rate in October and then change to the flights I really wanted in November the next day, since even though most November flights aren't yet changeable October ones are for 30 days later.

In the past free changes were only available plus/minus 14 days...............has this changed to 30 days ?
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:23 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by flyer4512
In the past free changes were only available plus/minus 14 days...............has this changed to 30 days ?
It's been 30 days for at least the last several months when free changes were offered.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:08 pm

Had a SJC-LAS t/t flight for Oct. I moved back the date of my flight three times. It started at $97 and I selected a better non stop. Refared the nonstop to $97 r/t refared it again down to $87 and switched the dates back as I added more nights in Vegas. Now the flights are $157

​​​​​I have 12 nights 1 at the Fremont,1 at Four Queens 1 at Orleans and 7 at Mirage.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by danielonn
Had a SJC-LAS t/t flight for Oct. I moved back the date of my flight three times. It started at $97 and I selected a better non stop. Refared the nonstop to $97 r/t refared it again down to $87 and switched the dates back as I added more nights in Vegas. Now the flights are $157
​​​​​I have 12 nights 1 at the Fremont,1 at Four Queens 1 at Orleans and 7 at Mirage.
As time to fly gets closer, of course they have to start upping the fares. So you had to cancel and rebook, in order to bypass the free change and allow it to return funds to you. It is good when prices go up, but when they go down, cancel and rebook is the only solution to the waiver, unless you do it on Monda/Tuesdays when they reprogram the system and take away the free changes.

So, that is 10 out of 12 nights you mention above ... are you going to be hopping hotels for 2 weeks?

Ohh, when is the earliest people are being allowed free changes. My october flights are the only ones with the waiver notice in red in the app.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
It's been 30 days for at least the last several months when free changes were offered.

Thanks, I have been getting a 2nd flight with the lowest fares plus/minus 14 days
Old Sep 22, 2020, 11:41 am

Boy, I miss being able to book and instantly change a reservation for free. I booked a pair of points flights for my uncle who gets BIS CP every year, so I assumed he was at least passingly familiar with how everything works. Nope, apparently he uses OPM to book BS on every single flight, and knows absolutely nothing except how to add a companion. I have no idea how he doesn't have a shiteton of points in his account. I bet he turns it into gift cards or pays to transfer them.

Anyway, he keeps fretting about the backup flights while I'm waiting on a change window to open, just can't stand seeing them in his upcoming flights. He has added his companion to all the flights, including the backup flights, so I can't refare or make changes. He is only willing to remove them for a few minutes at a time - even on the backup flights that he has zero intention of using, as the dates are all wrong.

Worst gift recipient ever. I'm about to call the ~15k points I stand to save a lost cause, and a small price to pay to learn never to make that offer again.

/rant. Thank you for your understanding, lol

Last edited by synergistic; Sep 22, 2020 at 12:06 pm
Old Sep 22, 2020, 1:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by synergistic
Boy, I miss being able to book and instantly change a reservation for free. I booked a pair of points flights for my uncle who gets BIS CP every year, so I assumed he was at least passingly familiar with how everything works. Nope, apparently he uses OPM to book BS on every single flight, and knows absolutely nothing except how to add a companion. I have no idea how he doesn't have a shiteton of points in his account. I bet he turns it into gift cards or pays to transfer them.

Anyway, he keeps fretting about the backup flights while I'm waiting on a change window to open, just can't stand seeing them in his upcoming flights. He has added his companion to all the flights, including the backup flights, so I can't refare or make changes. He is only willing to remove them for a few minutes at a time - even on the backup flights that he has zero intention of using, as the dates are all wrong.

Worst gift recipient ever. I'm about to call the ~15k points I stand to save a lost cause, and a small price to pay to learn never to make that offer again.

/rant. Thank you for your understanding, lol
I can totally sympathize with you! Your intent is very honorable in helping a family member out but sad that they aren't patient enough to heed our advice in making it happen! If I were a gift recipient, I would be totally overjoyed at such an offer as I understand the value. Others sadly do not. Hope it works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.