Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point hoarders - what are you going to do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards
Point hoarders - what are you going to do?

With discretionary travel likely to be limited for the next year+ I'm wondering what folks who have a lot of RR points plan on doing with them? I've got 484K built up and I had no plans on redeeming them for anything other than future travel, but I'm wondering if any feel that they might pull gift cards from more rewards, or if a devaluation is coming soon.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:48 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by farnlc
With discretionary travel likely to be limited for the next year+
Based on what information?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by PAX62
Based on what information?
Hrrmph. if my friends (some of which I'm seriously rethinking reclassifying lately) are any indication, Facebook
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:15 pm

Wondered the same thing. If there is a chance for devaluation, maybe I should quickly redeem all my points for gift cards. I'm not planning to use them for travel
Wingrider likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:32 pm

All indications are that discretionary travel will likely be limited for the next two months, quite possibly longer. But that's based on the info we have now.
steved5480, Wingrider and sdsearch like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by ursine1
All indications are that discretionary travel will likely be limited for the next two months, quite possibly longer. But that's based on the info we have now.

I would agree.

I would NOT agree any big devaluation is going to happen. That would be counter to getting the public back on their planes - when the time comes.
Tanic and alggag like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:31 am

For now I would sit tight. In a few months after this thing passes we may see very low prices as the travel industry tries to recover. I doubt there will be any rush to gouge good customers.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
484k in points is a bit high and would take quite a bit of time to spend - that is some $7,000+ in flights. It is good to have a fair number so you can have lots of flights booked for "maybe" trips, but not that much.

Still, I think flights are the best use of them unless you think the airline will go away or make MAJOR point changes.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:51 am

Cash them in for toilet paper and hand sanitizers.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by farnlc
With discretionary travel likely to be limited for the next year+ I'm wondering what folks who have a lot of RR points plan on doing with them? I've got 484K built up and I had no plans on redeeming them for anything other than future travel, but I'm wondering if any feel that they might pull gift cards from more rewards, or if a devaluation is coming soon.
Thoughts?
I *had* about 460k sitting there until early this morning. I feared radical devaluation, and in a dark chance, worse for SWA so I unloaded them out as a ton of gift cards. Yeah I know SWA is better positioned than other carriers for a variety of reasons, but I sit here typing this from my home in the Bay Area where they have issued a shelter in place for 6 (soon to be 8) California counties till early April and who ever imagined THAT could happen in todays world? Couple that with articles saying most carriers could be dead by mid year from this and I decided that I can use the Amazon cards and other staples related cards much sooner than burning off flight points bound to a single carrier. Scared? No. Cautious and cashing in my chips for now? Absolutely. More there probably later if I need them.

I had shifted my points generation a couple months ago to the SWA card to hedge point accumulation for CP- so points will still be hitting during this self imposed grounding. I have a BS RT flight and a second pax RT flight booked all with points for July so that's a crap shoot at this point but probably coming back as points. CP is clearly at risk for me, but points are also accumulating via my Chase card @ 3x and they pass over- making accumulation still possible if I want SWA but not towards CP.

tl;dr- crazy times, burn 'em since I got 'em now. Worry about the fallout later, but I got mine.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Wingrider
I feared radical devaluation
See, this is where we differ- once this all inevitably blows over, I expect to see "Please Come Back!" incentives like cross-country WGA for 4-5K pts. I'm expecting my ~300K RRs to go a long way in the upcoming months.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Wingrider
I *had* about 460k sitting there until early this morning. I feared radical devaluation, and in a dark chance, worse for SWA so I unloaded them out as a ton of gift cards. Yeah I know SWA is better positioned than other carriers for a variety of reasons, but I sit here typing this from my home in the Bay Area where they have issued a shelter in place for 6 (soon to be 8) California counties till early April and who ever imagined THAT could happen in todays world? Couple that with articles saying most carriers could be dead by mid year from this and I decided that I can use the Amazon cards and other staples related cards much sooner than burning off flight points bound to a single carrier. Scared? No. Cautious and cashing in my chips for now? Absolutely. More there probably later if I need them.

I had shifted my points generation a couple months ago to the SWA card to hedge point accumulation for CP- so points will still be hitting during this self imposed grounding. I have a BS RT flight and a second pax RT flight booked all with points for July so that's a crap shoot at this point but probably coming back as points. CP is clearly at risk for me, but points are also accumulating via my Chase card @ 3x and they pass over- making accumulation still possible if I want SWA but not towards CP.

tldr; crazy times, burn 'em since I got 'em now. Worry about the fallout later, but I got mine.
Make sure you use some of those Amazon gift cards to stock up on lots of toilet paper.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Make sure you use some of those Amazon gift cards to stock up on lots of toilet paper.
Things get really tough, I'm thinking squeegee action with the Dave n Busters cards....

/ I kid...
// Three seashells?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
See, this is where we differ- once this all inevitably blows over, I expect to see "Please Come Back!" incentives like cross-country WGA for 4-5K pts. I'm expecting my ~300K RRs to go a long way in the upcoming months.
....by then I'll have/put more points in there and be Maui bound. :-)
As another poster mentioned, it was a lot of points to have sitting there at risk in times like this. I used to do weekly RT day trips booking BS flights to LA netting me 9k or more at a whack. I am fortunate that can get/rebuild more if things stabilize. *If*
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:04 pm

It would take one CRAZY deval to make a WN point today worth less then the redemption value for gift cards.

Don't forget if you use CP the value of your points is doubled.

We just booked MSP/TPA R/T ( Sat- Sat) in Late April for about 4200 points for 2 people using CP.................4200 points gets you a $25 Texas Roadhouse gift card
drooley likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.