Point hoarders - what are you going to do?

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:47 am
jmw

If you get laid off, burning the WN points on Amazon gift cards will be far, far better choice than spending on WN flights even though the latter has a much better valuation. If the economy goes south to the point where you get laid off, who is to say the option to redeem for Amazon GC will exist at that time.
Wingrider likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My RR balance is back above 260k after I had to cancel two awards trips in March. That's not a hoard by FT standards though it would seem a lot to casual travelers. I'm planning to spend the points on flights once the health crisis subsides enough for travel to be reasonable again. I don't think points will devalue between now and then. As others in the thread are saying, I think airlines and hotels will be begging for us to "come back" with attractive discount prices.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmw
If you get laid off, burning the WN points on Amazon gift cards will be far, far better choice than spending on WN flights even though the latter has a much better valuation. If the economy goes south to the point where you get laid off, who is to say the option to redeem for Amazon GC will exist at that time.
I remember a story about a guy maybe 10-12 years ago who was a road warrior and got laid off. He gave up his apartment and lived off his HH points for something like 9 months in a cat 1.

And ate a lot of breakfast to save on food. Though that would get pretty old.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

RR 2.0 devaluations have tended to be in April. Whatever they may have had in mind for next month has probably been put on hold for at least a year.
steved5480 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.