strange bag under seat / legroom situation

Old Mar 13, 20, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
strange bag under seat / legroom situation

Flying on a WN flight recently, I encountered a situation for the first time in over 20 years of flying WN.

I put my travel bag underneath the seat in front of me, and shoved it up as far forward as possible to move the bag out of the way so other passengers wouldn't trip on it going in / out of their seats (I had the aisle). The bag stopped at the metal band of the seat frame of the seat in front of me.

Surprisingly, the person in front shoved the seat back and complained it was hitting their leg. I took a look at their seating position and noted they had a ton of leg room in the seat in front of them, but they chose to sit with the leg folded backwards the entire flight, the legs touching my bag because they chose to rest their leg on the metal peg underneath the seat.

In all my years of travel, I have seen pretty much every one stretch their leg forward to relax the legs, rather than folded up like this pushing backwards under the seat.

After several instances of where I pushed the bag forward to allow other PAX to go to the bathroom / return, and annoying push back from the PAX in front of me, we finally landed and I was glad to be rid of this annoying PAX who chose to sit this way.

Anyone else encounter this type of scenario? How did you deal with it?

IMO the space under the seat is reserved for the PAX behind me to put their bag, and I just stretch my legs forward, or at least bend my legs at a 90 degree angle. I don't put my legs past 90 degrees behind me, intruding into the bag storage space under me.

It was annoying as hell to have to deal with a PAX who thought that space belong to them.
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:14 am

Stuff happens when you travel. In the grand scheme of things, especially now, it really doesn’t matter. Move on, IMO.
nancypants and kennycrudup like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Either you shove it forward again, this time with sufficient force to shatter their leg or you move on with life and just recognize that this sort of thing happens.

If the other passenger's leg actually prevented you from placing the bag so that it was fully under the seat and there was no place in an OH for it, I would then consider asking a FA to deal with it as a safety matter.
nancypants and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Either you shove it forward again, this time with sufficient force to shatter their leg or you move on with life and just recognize that this sort of thing happens.

If the other passenger's leg actually prevented you from placing the bag so that it was fully under the seat and there was no place in an OH for it, I would then consider asking a FA to deal with it as a safety matter.
I was actually considering a wrestling choke hold move from behind...

/kidding of course LOL
JB OmahAA, steved5480 and drooley like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 5:00 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
Flying on a WN flight recently, I encountered a situation for the first time in over 20 years of flying WN.

but they chose to sit with the leg folded backwards the entire flight, the legs touching my bag because they chose to rest their leg on the metal peg underneath the seat.

In all my years of travel, I have seen pretty much every one stretch their leg forward to relax the legs, rather than folded up like this pushing backwards under the seat.
Anyone else encounter this type of scenario? How did you deal with it?

IMO the space under the seat is reserved for the PAX behind me to put their bag, and I just stretch my legs forward, or at least bend my legs at a 90 degree angle. I don't put my legs past 90 degrees behind me, intruding into the bag storage space under me.
If I had a choice ( which I don't ) I would spend half the flight with my feet underneath my seat. And I do that in those rare situations where no one is sitting behind me or there are no bags under my seat. It is just very comfortable for me. But I would never infringe on the passenger behind me, You absolutely should have talked to an FA.
Bogwoppit and drooley like this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:21 pm

I tend to rest my feet on that metal rail because my legs are too short to comfortably reach the floor. But Iím always careful to not push on a bag under my seat.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Get a disposable bag of some sort, slather it with whatever sticky/oily foodstuff comes to hand, and put it there.
lougord99 and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by MrsWLV View Post
I tend to rest my feet on that metal rail because my legs are too short to comfortably reach the floor. But Iím always careful to not push on a bag under my seat.
Me, too! Folks with long legs don't understand how uncomfortable it is to sit for hours with feet that don't reach the floor.
FLTripper likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip View Post
Me, too! Folks with long legs don't understand how uncomfortable it is to sit for hours with feet that don't reach the floor.
probably about uncomfortable as a person with long legs cramped in that small space😁.

Nonetheless that bar is specifically placed there to stop the under seat bag from the person in the seat behind from going all the way through. It actually isnít a foot rest.
UALOneKPlus likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by jtdl View Post
probably about uncomfortable as a person with long legs cramped in that small space😁.

Nonetheless that bar is specifically placed there to stop the under seat bag from the person in the seat behind from going all the way through. It actually isn’t a foot rest.
I get it. My husband is 6'3" and we fly together a lot.

I'm also well aware it isn't there to be a footrest. Just as the seat back pocket isn't made to be a water bottle holder. But us "shorties" have to put our feet somewhere and that bar (or the bag behind it) is the only thing our feet can reach!
MrsWLV and JB OmahAA like this.

Last edited by NextTrip; Mar 14, 20 at 5:05 pm
Old Mar 15, 20, 11:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage since 1984; AA PLT - 2MM; WN CP; SPG Gold
positioning one's legs in such a way to hook your feet onto that lower metal bar/peg could be inviting some DVT, too
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by JB OmahAA View Post
positioning one's legs in such a way to hook your feet onto that lower metal bar/peg could be inviting some DVT, too
As is letting them dangle! I'm not talking about "hooking" them. I'm talking about resting them on the bar. You folks with long legs would probably be unable to even do this, like us with short legs find it impossible to rest our feet on the floor.
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with putting your feet on the bar so long as it does not inconvenience the under seat space for the passenger behind you. Just like seat back recline, pitch and seat width, there are geometric limitations to the space you choose and you have to live within your allotted space or figure out a different method / class of service.
MrsWLV and JB OmahAA like this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with putting your feet on the bar so long as it does not inconvenience the under seat space for the passenger behind you. Just like seat back recline, pitch and seat width, there are geometric limitations to the space you choose and you have to live within your allotted space or figure out a different method / class of service.
Exactly!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: