Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Priority Check In For Others Traveling with A or A+

Old Mar 12, 20, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Just got an email from Southwest. Starting today, they will auto check in at T-36 all passengers on the same reservation as A and A+ members. I would assume that this will not apply to companions since they are always on separate reservations.

Old Mar 12, 20, 7:12 am

I was glad to see the email. I hope it applies to CP companions despite the different confirmation numbers.

Eta- I wonder if the CP holder and companion are on the same reservation as far as the system is concerned. I don't know how it works but I thought it might be so since agents have always been able to immediately see my companion when they pull up my reservation, and our companions' confirmation number etc is filed with our reservation when we look at them in our (CP holders') accounts.
JB OmahAA likes this.

Last edited by mdword; Mar 12, 20 at 7:20 am
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:19 am

Agree, need confirmation for companion pass users

Anyone still flying these days?
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, WN A+/CP, Hertz PC
Just got the email too and my first thought was "what about CP?" But this is good overall. I wonder what prompted this change after so many years.
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:26 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
I just contacted SWA, regarding Companion Pass holders, and the response was this:

"At this time, Companion PNRs are not included in this enhancement. Customers traveling on a Companion PNR will be required to board in their assigned boarding position."

Most times I only travel with my Companion, so this change, unfortunately, provides little benefit to me.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:28 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Just told my wife we need to book a ticket to find out how this works. LOL!
JB OmahAA likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List/CP, Marriott/Ritz/SPG Gold
A great benefit to have since I no longer need to mash the check in button at T-24 for my partner (booked on points).

I was reading the terms and it doesn’t seem like same day standby benefit applies though. Anyone else see any different?
JB OmahAA likes this.

Last edited by acwan93; Mar 12, 20 at 8:32 am Reason: Companion was the wrong word to use since not on CP :)
Old Mar 12, 20, 7:55 am

Programs: WN A-list and CP, AA Gold, Kimpton IC (RIP) Hertz PC
CP is one question...

The other is when my young children are tied to my reservation but have a separate PNR. I have to book them separately because I pay cash for my ticket and then use points for theirs.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:03 am

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And here is a different situation. My companion is the A-list person - meaning she is on the free ticket.

hmmmm...
JB OmahAA likes this.

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mctrees02 View Post
CP is one question...

The other is when my young children are tied to my reservation but have a separate PNR. I have to book them separately because I pay cash for my ticket and then use points for theirs.
I think youíre SOL just like CP. CP is just about the only time I travel with others (on SW), so this ďenhancementĒ is useless to me.
JB OmahAA likes this.

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I’m not sure what to think, I’m flying with my non A list family this weekend so this will be nice. On the other hand, if I’m A-32 and A-31 is traveling with spouse and three kids, my boarding position just dropped to A-37. I can only imagine what A-list boarding for a flight to MCO could be like.
awayIgo likes this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:04 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by acwan93 View Post
A great benefit to have since I no longer need to mash the check in button at T-24 for my companion.

I was reading the terms and it doesnít seem like same day standby benefit applies though. Anyone else see any different?
"At this time, Companion PNRs are not included in this enhancement. Customers traveling on a Companion PNR will be required to board in their assigned boarding position."
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by ALARISstl View Post
Iím not sure what to think, Iím flying with my non A list family this weekend so this will be nice. On the other hand, if Iím A-32 and A-31 is traveling with spouse and three kids, my boarding position just dropped to A-37. I can only imagine what A-list boarding for a flight to MCO could be like.
good point, which means for me this is worse than useless, itís a negative change as I just got a permanent increase in my boarding group.
joshua362, nmpls and awayIgo like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:17 am

Programs: UA scum/0.699MM, WN ALP/CP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Come on Southwest! Due to the way the system works for CP the companion HAS to be a separate PNR. That's not our fault, it's yours. Don't penalize us for having earned A List and CP and trying to use the benefits we earned
mcflytfc and swajames like this.
Old Mar 12, 20, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ALARISstl View Post
Iím not sure what to think, Iím flying with my non A list family this weekend so this will be nice. On the other hand, if Iím A-32 and A-31 is traveling with spouse and three kids, my boarding position just dropped to A-37. I can only imagine what A-list boarding for a flight to MCO could be like.
I hear you, but I think allowing companions to board together will have far more of a positive effect than a negative one. I think most people end up saving space for their companions anyway, so the net effect (imo) wouldn't be a meaningful change to the seating.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: