Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reprice your trips now! Super-low fares for travel through early June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reprice your trips now! Super-low fares for travel through early June

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:36 pm

Everyone booking/repricing all those super cheap fares for the next two months or so... do you really expect you'll be able to/choose to take those flights? (Serious question.)
Old Mar 16, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
do you really expect you'll be able to/choose to take those flights?
I'm flying unless they aren't!

The Government needs to step back and consider the long-term economic effects of this current overreaction before they make things even worse. My county is currently curfewed after midnight, yet far more people have died in car accidents in the last few weeks than have of the Coronavirus.
pgh234 and joshua362 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Everyone booking/repricing all those super cheap fares for the next two months or so... do you really expect you'll be able to/choose to take those flights? (Serious question.)
Maybe, maybe not.

But worth booking if you have a desire to fly. I have 6 trips book in April-June. Probably will not take them all or any.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Maybe, maybe not.

But worth booking if you have a desire to fly. I have 6 trips book in April-June. Probably will not take them all or any.
I have 6 trips as well for that timeframe. All are leisure. As long as WN is flying, so am I. The real question is what will happen with status come Dec. 31, 2020?
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
For the next few weeks, no, I'm grounded.

For the following few weeks, maybe. I want to go, but it'll depend on the health situation. Booking now ensures a low price, and the beauty of Southwest is that I can cancel without penalty if necessary.

Looking out toward May, June & beyond... it's much more likely by then but it's hard to call anything 100% right now.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA 2P, National Car Exec, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
I have 7 one way flights between now and early May. I've repriced them a couple of times as prices have dropped. But based on the direction of recent public health guidance on COVID-19, I suspect it's in vain and that domestic flying will be severely curtailed by sometime in April, if not sooner.
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Wow frontpage sale says nothing over $199 (wga)

for the historians in the group: when was the last time Southwest had a cap of $199 for a full fare ticket?. I vaguely remember it being 199 then $219 then.... $699?

​​​​​​
Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I'm flying unless they aren't!

The Government needs to step back and consider the long-term economic effects of this current overreaction before they make things even worse. My county is currently curfewed after midnight, yet far more people have died in car accidents in the last few weeks than have of the Coronavirus.
It seems surprising (shocking, saddening) that I need to point this out, but car accidents aren't projected to increase exponentially over the next several weeks.

This situation is unique, and most comparisons are essentially baseless. In my opinion, "overreaction" is a word that won't have much meaning anymore come mid-April.

Here's a great, balanced resource: Don’t Panic: The comprehensive Ars Technica guide to the coronavirus
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by expert7700
Wow frontpage sale says nothing over $199 (wga)

for the historians in the group: when was the last time Southwest had a cap of $199 for a full fare ticket?. I vaguely remember it being 199 then $219 then.... $699?

​​​​​​
I recall a heavily touted cap of $299 one way circa 2002-2003
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:22 am

In my opinion, "overreaction" is a word that won't have much meaning anymore come mid-April.
We shall see, won't we? And AFAIC, only deaths count- just having the stupid thing is meaningless; hell, I could have it now.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:52 am

We shall see, won't we? And AFAIC, only deaths count- just having the stupid thing is meaningless; hell, I could have it now.
I really recommend you do some research about the situation. The link I posted earlier is a great start.

Also: White House Takes New Line After Dire Report on Death Toll

Sweeping new federal recommendations announced on Monday for Americans to sharply limit their activities appeared to draw on a dire scientific report warning that, without action by the government and individuals to slow the spread of coronavirus and suppress new cases, 2.2 million people in the United States could die.
Extra credit: Those Who Recover From Coronavirus Can Be Left With Reduced Lung Function, Say Doctors
BarryPeters likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:56 am

2.2 million people in the United States could die.
Yeah, yeah ... remember SARS? They were claiming the same things.
pgh234 and joshua362 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:00 am

Alrighty. All the best to you.
steved5480 and radonc1 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
I suspect that you may be under 30, and it appears that the mortality for this disease in that age group is basically 0. But even if you are not in that age group.....

Consider the fact that you may be an asymptomatic carrier of the virus. Your expanded travels make you a greater risk for becoming one. And as a carrier, your expanded travels will increase the risk of spreading the disease to others, including those in the vulnerable populations where the mortality rate may be as high as 1%.
And this disease is far more contagious than SARS ever was.

Do you really want to be responsible for such an outcome?
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I suspect that you may be under 30
Nope- smack in the middle of the mortality curve.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.