Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kicked off Southwest flight...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Kicked off Southwest flight...

Looks like some moderator kicked my post to "peanut gallery" to silence me. ... is that? Literally looks like 500 different threads in one giant thread. Saw posts saying OP won't come back. Do ya'll think you'll have people come back when they see their thread dumped in 'peanut gallery'.

Anyways, I didn't think my post was that confusing...you do know most people consider airline tickets the same as boarding passes, right?
I heard some idiots say things like "OP probably only bought his flight ticket receipt to TSA". If you read the post below it says TSA scanned my ticket. Do you think TSA would scan a southwest.com receipt? No. Obviously TSA saw my boarding pass and tried to scan that.
If I have a boarding pass, then well, obviously I checked into my flight (to whoever asked if I checked in or not)
And for whoever asked, I tried printing it on the self service kiosk but it didn't work.
Given my boarding pass didn't scan, the self service kiosk couldn't print it, and the lady was eager to change my flight....it seems obvious they gave away my seat before I even stepped one foot in that airport.

Anyways, called Chase this morning, they gave a full refund, no questions asked. Normally they give a temporary credit while they dispute it, but she just credited me and said they'd dispute it southwest but I'm no longer in the picture and the dispute's resolution won't have an affect on me as the credit was permanent.

Original post below

Had a 2:25 flight from Nashville to Dallas.

TSA couldn't scan my ticket at 1:30, told me to ask the clerk to print me a boarding pass.

Get to the Southwest desk, lady addresses me with "what do you want"...

Ask her for a boarding pass and she says she can't print a boarding pass with less than 25 minutes before flight (it's 1:40 now), I explain it's 45 minutes before flight and she changes her response to "well, if i have to print a pass, I can't keep you on the flight".

I say whatever, didn't want to waste time arguing with her, just wanted to get past TSA and have the gate print me my correct ticket. Clerk said there's only one other flight to Dallas and it's lay over in Houston and prints me that ticket.

I get to my gate, A group is lined up but no one has boarded. Explain to gate worker I was on this flight but they changed it and if I can still get on this flight and she tells me "nah ah sister, they gave away your tickets". Ask if she can print me a new ticket, she says "there isn't one empty seat on this flight".

Call the 1-800 number and they tell me they have me scanned in and on the direct Dallas flight (not true).

So instead of getting to Dallas at 4:30, I get there at 11:50, missed an important dinner. By the way my Houston flight was 3 hours late. More than likely they gave away direct Dallas seat to someone who had the Nashville to Houston to Dallas ticket.

Called the 1-800 southwest compliant number, who says his record says they changed my flight at 1:40 to Houston and he's puzzled how that's too late to board my 2:25 direct Dallas flight. FYI I paid $480 for my ticket from Nashville to Dallas, and at the time the cheapest ticket was this Nash to Houston to Dallas route which was $260. He puts me on hold for 10 minutes to make note of everything and comes back and offers me an $100 voucher. I hang up.

Is there any better options? Should I just file a billing dispute with my credit card? Card is Chase Sapphire if it maters
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by sandra455
...you do know most people consider airline tickets the same as boarding passes, right?
I think most people don't consider them the same.

I suppose, if you're very young, you may have never flown back in the days where there were real "tickets". When you checked in, they tore off a stub from the end of the ticket and then they issued you a separate boarding pass. On Southwest, the boarding passes were plastic. But even so, for a very long time, the boarding passes of all the airlines said right on them "this is not a ticket".

Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ame...cAAOSwJfFdyIkV

The ticket is the thing with the red ink.

Last edited by Peoriaman1; Feb 25, 2020 at 6:44 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I think most people don't consider them the same.

I suppose, if you're very young, you may have never flown back in the days where there were real "tickets". When you checked in, they tore off a stub from the end of the ticket and then they issued you a separate boarding pass. On Southwest, the boarding passes were plastic. But even so, for a very long time, the boarding passes of all the airlines said right on them "this is not a ticket".

Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ame...cAAOSwJfFdyIkV

The ticket is the thing with the red ink.
Yeah, I agree. I immediately thought OP meant ticket receipt or something. And given FT is a forum for more advanced travelers we certainly don't consider them the same thing.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:48 am

Welcome back. Thanks for the clarification that a BP was scanned. You seem to think that ",,,,it seems obvious they gave away my seat before I even stepped one foot in that airport.", I would suggest that WN has easier ways to deny someone boarding than producing a bad BP for them, somehow knowing there would not be time to resolve it prior to boarding.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Anyways, called Chase this morning, they gave a full refund, no questions asked. Normally they give a temporary credit while they dispute it, but she just credited me and said they'd dispute it southwest but I'm no longer in the picture and the dispute's resolution won't have an affect on me as the credit was permanent.
Just a note that the refund you received isn't' necessarily permanent. If, during the dispute process, they found that you were at fault and not SW, they may re-instate the charge. It's also worth noting that CC providers like Chase have been known to shut down cards of people who dispute too often (even if valid) or people who fraudulently dispute charges (for obvious reasons).

The thread full of people saying you won't be back is because FT is full of people whose first (and last) post is a yelp style rant and not a constructive solicitation of help from a group of people who often fly a lot and have a lot of very useful information, experiences. Things like thread titles (you were not kicked off a flight...) and tone go a long way in signaling why you are here and how/if people think they'll be able to help you.
trouble747 likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not even sure how WN's technology would permit some random GA facing an overbooked and possibly oversold flight to fail.

One can argue until one is blue in the face about ticket vs. BP, but the fact is that they are not the same and if one is imprecise in one's writing, one gets imprecise answers.

OP ought to regroup. She has blamed TSA, WN, and now the Mods for various failings.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Where and when did you print the BP? What boarding number did you get? Most of us make a mental note of this right away.
Did you check a bag?
At what point did you try the self service kiosk? Before or after TSA's rejection?
Any chance some of this occurred CLOSE TO or AFTER the SCHEDULED departure time of the original flight due to delays? That could explain a lot of this although your timeline says otherwise.

The more detail you can provide, the great minds here can try and figure out what went wrong...
synergistic likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Feb 25, 2020 at 8:29 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:51 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Moderator note to the OP:

Please read the start of the peanut gallery thread. Its purpose is to permit discussions which in other forums might be deleted. This is literally the opposite of trying to silence you. Please continue the discussion freely there. And thanks for returning, which we don’t often see. I hope our members can figure out what happened on your trip and provide helpful advice. We have all learned from unfortunate travel experiences.
worldwidedreamer and narvik like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Looks like some moderator kicked my post to "peanut gallery" to silence me. ... is that? Literally looks like 500 different threads in one giant thread. Saw posts saying OP won't come back. Do ya'll think you'll have people come back when they see their thread dumped in 'peanut gallery'.

..........it seems obvious they gave away my seat before I even stepped one foot in that airport.

It is NOT obvious they gave away your seat. They just do not do that. I have never heard of anyone having that sort of problem.

As to the CHASE thing, I hope you are right. I believe it is temporary, but will most probably become permanent.

Ticket vs boarding pass. Nope --- two different things.

And really - you were not kicked off the flight. You might have had some ticketing problems, but you were not kicked off.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Oh good. This is finished. Case closed.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I hope our members can figure out what happened on your trip and provide helpful advice. We have all learned from unfortunate travel experiences.
Threads deteriorate. "Unfortunate travel experiences" seldom avoid mockery.

If the printer screwed up the BP code, the kiosk is the preferred fix.

The likelihood Chase will rescind the refund is close to zilch.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'm confused why the OP didn't print the BP at home or at one of the kiosks?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Everyone is with the lack of details and confusing terminology... Need more facts and less rant / color commentary to figure this one out.
NoStressHere and bgasser like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Apparently kiosk didn't work but I also am very confused here.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:04 am

I've had one boarding pass I printed at home fail to scan at TSA. I had to go back and get another one. In my case I think my printer was not printing correctly. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.