Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kicked off Southwest flight...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
Not the TSA's job to enforce luggage sizing although some try. She could have missed the deadline for counter check-in and wanted to bring it to the gate for a chance it might make it with her. Or she could have been a noob.
It was a contract agent in the example I used. I agree that it isn't the TSA's job to enforce that, but when the bag is big enough not to fit in thru the X-Ray I think it's reasonable to turn it away.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
True, but if you show up with a bag that has zero chance of being a carry-on, they're going to send you to the counter. That could be the aforementioned noob move.

There was a brief period where the security checkpoint tried to enforce sizing...I remember the sizing cut-outs they put on the X-ray machines in a few airports. It was a huge fail and I'm glad they don't do that anymore. But still, anybody can eyeball a full-case suitcase and know it isn't a carry-on.
I've never seen this happen, maybe I just missed it but I can't see why TSA would care. Most airlines could gate check a large bag for you.
The only reasons I can think of that TSA would care depend on stuff in the bag or the bag being too big to x-ray. I have seen people carrying way too much stuff to be allowed in the cabin get through and even sometimes get that stuff on the plane.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
A screenshot would have worked just fine I think?
I ran into an instance a year or two ago - the gate computer was down so they collected paper BPs and required one from everyone since they couldn't scan - my mobile BP was working fine for me, they just couldn't take it. Fortunately we didn't have to go back outside security like the other story - and as soon as a line formed at the closest gate, I just went to the next one over and asked if they can print - got back much quicker and didn't miss my original boarding position by much (whereas some folks with early As were more like mid-Bs).
Old Mar 2, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I've never seen this happen, maybe I just missed it but I can't see why TSA would care. Most airlines could gate check a large bag for you.
The only reasons I can think of that TSA would care depend on stuff in the bag or the bag being too big to x-ray. I have seen people carrying way too much stuff to be allowed in the cabin get through and even sometimes get that stuff on the plane.
Another issue I've seen reported in the Finnair forum is the issue of having an allowance of two full size carry ons plus a personal item for premium pax, but JFK line dragons claim "FAA regulations" that only one bag is allowed.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I have seen people carrying way too much stuff to be allowed in the cabin get through and even sometimes get that stuff on the plane.
I am tempted to start a website or a blog where I post pictures of people and the enormous crap they haul onto planes with them.

I am going to Florida next week; that's probably the best place to start collecting photos.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
We sure have gotten off topic here... especially since there is no indication that luggage was an issue with the OP.
Often1 and ryw like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I am tempted to start a website or a blog where I post pictures of people and the enormous crap they haul onto planes with them.

I am going to Florida next week; that's probably the best place to start collecting photos.

Just hop on any ATL-MCO or FLL and see the amount of stuff and the time it takes to board. To quote Up in the Air: "Have you ever seen a stroller collapse in less than 20 minutes?"
joshua362 and Peoriaman1 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
especially since there is no indication that luggage was an issue with the OP.
But it seems like a valid speculation, considering people in this thread have reported it being an issue.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
We sure have gotten off topic here... especially since there is no indication that luggage was an issue with the OP.
If it wasn't for people getting off topic, this thread would have died a natural death long ago.
joshua362, Often1, ursine1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
If it wasn't for people getting off topic, this thread would have died a natural death long ago.
It did when it was merged into the Peanut thread,

OP did a second drive-by. It should be called "Kicked off Southwest Flight... Part Deux"
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This one will go to Peanut Gallery too if the OP doesn't show up soon.

It reminds me of the AA account closure megathread where people post in outrage and then we hardly ever learn what actually caused AA to shut down the account. The most we usually get is a cryptic hint. I was hoping that we would learn what happened in this case, but the mystery will remain.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
This one will go to Peanut Gallery too if the OP doesn't show up soon.

It reminds me of the AA account closure megathread where people post in outrage and then we hardly ever learn what actually caused AA to shut down the account. The most we usually get is a cryptic hint. I was hoping that we would learn what happened in this case, but the mystery will remain.
Humiliated and lied to by DELTA

OP in that thread never came back so I assume same case here.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It also doesn't really matter why TSA could not properly scan OP's BP. Perhaps it was folded over or damp right where it matters, perhaps a fleck of dust on the phone screen. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Stuff happens and speculating won't get to the bottom of it.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Often1
It also doesn't really matter why TSA could not properly scan OP's BP. Perhaps it was folded over or damp right where it matters, perhaps a fleck of dust on the phone screen. Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps. Stuff happens and speculating won't get to the bottom of it.
True

But for some reason, the counter could not print a new one.

Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.